I have read and heard many times that, in an underwater movie, the story is more important than the images (and that's even more true for non underwater movies, obviously). I am not yet a practitioner of this rule, as I am still simply enjoying the naive pleasure of being underwater and being able to bring back images of the magic world beneath...
I loved the Blue Planet BBC series, both story-wise and for its images, and I had great expectations for Oceans, of which I had heard great praises.
Can I say it bluntly? I was bored. Worse, I was annoyed at the waste of gorgeous footage put together in, at best a meaningless movie, at worst a patchwork of clichés. At times, even after watching the movie twice (I did not go to theaters, I bought a DVD, hence my seemingly dated reaction), I had a hard time figuring out whether the directors had actually checked out the final cut and just let some intern finish the job while they went about their business. It does not appear so, if I believe the DVD extras, in which both editor and directors boast about their achievements (in a very naive way which might be attributed to their lack of command of the English language, if I want to give them the benefit of the doubt).
Am I the only one to feel like this? What do you think of this movie? What can make a movie about the oceans great ?
X.