Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Push button controls

Started by offthegrid ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Push button controls

7 posts
  1. Been a few years since I've considered a DYI project, so maybe things have changed. Not finding anything in the search, though.

     

    Does anyone know of a good source for push button controls?

     

    Or is buying an old cheapo Ikelite housing on ebay still the only/easiest way to get them?

  2. I have mine machined.

     

    Not full tested yet, but worked well in basic test.

     

    I´m on a trip until next wednesday. But if you are interested I can take the measures so you can have an idea to get them machined. It was not that cheap. But the machinist charged the hours of test and try. With the measures I will draw a CAD design and take them to a CNC machine shop for the next set to see if it´s cheaper ("machine exactly this" instead of "ok, lets try with this shaft a little wider").

     

    The cost was a little more than U$ 200 for eight pushbuttons and seven lever controls (not photgraphed). For this last you could just buy them from Ikelite.

     

    The buttons:

     

    http://picasaweb.google.com/XTREME.ALEK/UN...gCIC0-LGyjKPcMw#

     

     

     

    I wanted modular pushbuttons, so in different housings for different cameras I have just to drill a hole (10mm in this case) where the button should go.

     

    There is another member that just machined the acrylic cover of his housing to acomodate the pushbuttons.

     

    Good luck with your search.

     

    Best regards

     

    Alejandro

  3. WOW! Very nice. Looks almost like the Ike's.

     

    I really don't get why they don't sell them?

     

    Considering the cost to machine them, and how many people are interested in them for DYI projects,

    they'd probably make a killing.

  4. Been a few years since I've considered a DYI project, so maybe things have changed. Not finding anything in the search, though.

     

    Does anyone know of a good source for push button controls?

     

    Or is buying an old cheapo Ikelite housing on ebay still the only/easiest way to get them?

    Another option was convered before at http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=buttons.

     

    The company is Danfross, which makes several sizes and lengths of shafts.

     

    Barry

  5. Ok, here's one I just thought of!

     

    Anyone ever just take one of the Ikelite buttons somewhere to have them machined?

     

    Why not just have someone make what you already have, and know works.

  6. Hi Ale,

     

    I have just found this thread, did you ever produce a CAD drawing for the buttons ?, this would be something I would be very interested in seeing.

  7. Hi!!
    Sorry but I hadn´t seen your message!
    No. I did not made any kind of drawing...
    Just used my housing but never too deep, so it´s in an experimental fase.
    I´m planning in modifiyng a new housing, so I will have to review this to make a new set of buttons (I will leave my 7D housing to my girlfriend who makes UW photography).
    If you are still interested I can make the drawings then
    Best regards!
    Ale

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.