Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

TTL sync problems with Oly PEN-PL1

Started by andrpers ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

TTL sync problems with Oly PEN-PL1

7 posts
  1. Friends!

     

    Relying on your expertise. I'm struggeling to get my SS YS-01 TTL strobe to sync properly and I'm thinking that this problem isn't an entirely new to a beginner :)

     

    I'm using a PEN-PL1 camera in manual mode with an optical cable to YS-01 strobe and a Big Blue 1x5AFO Focus Light. I'm not very familiar with the settings in the PL1 but I've understood that when using optical your not suppose to change any settings i.e TTL RC mode. Just internal flash on and TTL settings on the strobe and go dive. Well, not for me I'm afraid

     

    Problem descr: When diving using the strobe in TTL mode (or in manual) I suspect the flash is either too fast or too slow meaning I'm not getting the scene litt up at all when the actual photo is taken. Looks nice before the actual shot with the focus light and all but since the light is turned off auto when flashing. Well, I get a dark blur at best and to this date, I can only use the camera in shallow waters :)

     

    Also, I suspect it's not as strong as it should be when using TTL. What am I missing here???

  2. Friends!

     

    Relying on your expertise. I'm struggeling to get my SS YS-01 TTL strobe to sync properly and I'm thinking that this problem isn't an entirely new to a beginner :)

     

    I'm using a PEN-PL1 camera in manual mode with an optical cable to YS-01 strobe and a Big Blue 1x5AFO Focus Light. I'm not very familiar with the settings in the PL1 but I've understood that when using optical your not suppose to change any settings i.e TTL RC mode. Just internal flash on and TTL settings on the strobe and go dive. Well, not for me I'm afraid

     

    Problem descr: When diving using the strobe in TTL mode (or in manual) I suspect the flash is either too fast or too slow meaning I'm not getting the scene litt up at all when the actual photo is taken. Looks nice before the actual shot with the focus light and all but since the light is turned off auto when flashing. Well, I get a dark blur at best and to this date, I can only use the camera in shallow waters :)

     

    Also, I suspect it's not as strong as it should be when using TTL. What am I missing here???

    What were your camera settings? The camera flash should be set to TTL and auto I believe and the strobe to TTL. The camera has a number of fill flash modes and you might be hitting one of those.

     

    Bill

  3. No reason to dive with it, until you get it working in your home at night.

     

    It sounds like the strobe is set to manual, and doing a dump on the first pre-flash, and ignoring the subsequent flash..

     

    I don't personally have those strobes, so I can't help you with how to set it up. You'll have to read the manual, carefully, several times..

     

    Good luck!

  4. Probably hitting fill flash. Any idea of how to get around the problem?

  5. Probably hitting fill flash. Any idea of how to get around the problem?

    There are several flash modes on the camera in addition to TTL and Auto. Which are you using?

    Bill

  6. I've tried all of them. According to the manual the camera only pre-flashes in "red eye"-mode

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.