Still experimenting with my CX550V and MWB...
SoCal water can be VERY green. I think I am going to show it as it is. But that also means it absorbs light a lot. Recently, I took a look at my slate on which I had painted red stripes: I could only see black stripes (with my eyes) and I was maybe only 30 feet deep. On the other hand, video lights reach only so far. Therefore there are shots where all red is gone. Color correcting in this case is useless: there is absolutely no information in the red plane of the RGB decomposition.
I am wondering, and this is my question, whether it is possible in FCE to take information from one of the other planes (say the green one) and after having chroma keyed it in order to isolate a specific area (say, a fish), artificially "paint" this area in red. In other words, define this area with the corresponding information about the green plane as being now the information for the red plane for that area as well.
To illustrate it with a theoretical example, suppose I have a gray fish in a blue-green water environment, but my camera does not collect any red. The movie will look blue-green just as the fish will. In principle, if I could "cut-out" the fish in the green plane and paste the pixel values of this region of the green plane into the red plane, I could recover a gray fish (rather than a blue-green fish).
Thanks for your comments or pointers.
X.