Hi, I've recently changed over from an Olympus 7070 and housing, with a strobe, which I used for three or four years, and got some reasonable results, but the shutter lag was a killer, as was the write time to the card. I've now got myself a Nikon D700 with Ikelite housing, a pair of DS-125 Strobes, a flat port for the 105mm macro lens, and an 8 inch dome port for the 15mm sigma.
I choose the camera first as I'm doing a degree course in Photography here in the UK, and had a look at all the available options, DSLR's from canon, nikon, olympus and sony, but eventually settled on the nikon, due to it's quality of image when shooting at high ISO's, and also because it felt good it my hand.
Anyway, back to my experiences with the Ikelite housing and ports, bit of a learning curve here, apart from the weight difference compared with my old system, having to assemble and attach ports in less than ideal conditions left me with a flooded system, due to my inexperience, thank God for insurance, camera and lens have been replaced, and the housing has gone back to the US for repair. Basically the 105 port was difficult to get on, and I ended up kinking the O ring, and as for the dome port, this is so easy to get on, and off that it's worrying that it might come off as it's passed down to you in the water. Spoke to the retailer in this country, and they said it was quite normal, and that the water preasure will keep it on under water, no problem there, it's getting it from the boat into the water safely that gives me cause for concern. Not well designed at all, anybody else have any experience with this? Just wish I had the money to buy a Subal housing, not impressed with Ikelite at all.
Anyway lesson learned, the camera will only go in the water when conditions are good, and by the way, does anybody know if I can get a viewfinder to attach to the housing?