It will be interesting to see what sensor Nikon chooses for the D70, we can not automatically assume that they will use the same sensor as the D100, since it would have been easy to anounce such a detail. It would be nice to see a move to this new LBCAST technology in future cameras instead of rehashing older (D100?) technology. I guess only time will tell. Hopefully they will be showing working cameras (production) at PMA and not just mock-ups.
Doug
Hi Doug
Threre was a comment in the press release
The D70 joins Nikon's current selection of digital SLR models and employs the popular Nikon DX format sensor
Or have I jumped in with an answer for a different question
Best
Des
Hi Des,
I believe that refers to the format only (1.5 crop size), not to the TYPE of sensor. The sensor in the D100 is a Sony CCD. The new sensor in the D2h is Nikon made, called the LBcast. It's a CMOS sensor type I believe, so a vast difference.
Cheers
James
I can't imagine it's taken them this long to slap together a dumbed-down version of the D100. At least with the DRebel it's built from the 10d chip. The D70 being based on the D100 chip would be like making the DReb from the D60.
It'd be interesting to see if it is indeed a new chip. Makes more sense to base it on LBCAST given the timing, although the D2H has taken a lot of hits for noise already, so LBCAST might not be quite ready for prime time...
Of course there's always Sony's new 8 mp sensor from the 828, but its too small. Maybe somthing new? PMA show is in March?