Here's a few from the manta dive, it was challenging, mostly due to all the stuff in the water (plankton attracted to the lights, and all the silt kicked up by the numerous divers there.)
Overall a fun and very rewarding experience. We were luck to have over a dozen mantas feeding around us for about an hour.
I used the Tokina 10-17 for these and generally used other lights to focus to avoid all the "stuff" attracted to the lights from gathering in front of my dome. because the D200 isn't too good at high ISO, I tried to keep it below ISO 200.
Take care,
john
I used a D200 w/ 60mm 2.8 D. 2x 90DX strobes on manual control and 2 focus lights. One to look far and one pointed to illuminate the critters once I had them in front of my lens.
I shot w/ autofocus, which seems good enough. the surge was just enough to make manual focus really hard.
John,
Do you recall what 2 focus lights you used?
What I really need... is someone interested in renting a very powerful light for this dive. Since its a short term need for me and a significant purchase, it seems to make sense to rent the light if someone is willing to offer a rental. The dive shops do not rent anything powerful enough which is not too surprising.
anyone interested in renting a 500 lumen or stronger light for this dive? We can work together to make certain its insured for the dive and trip, etc.
dave
Did anyone end up using the tokina 10-17with 1.4x teleconverter on a Blackwater dive?
@sinetwo
Are you asking about a true blackwater dive (which are 99% macro opportunities) or are you asking about the manta night dive on the Big Island?
If the latter, many people have done that dive shooting with the 10-17. Depending on the action, the teleconverter might not provide that much extra "reach" because... a number of the mantas will swim right up to you if you light is strong enough - easily filling your frame.
If the former (the macro dive), then a 10-17 will leave you without a lot of subjects (they can be very tiny).
Hi
Would a SOLA 1200 be bright enough for black water diving?