I want to change a sync cord from a nikonos connector to an ikelite connector. using a couple of old sync cords.
I've tried rewiring an ikelite connector previously when some wires broke due to bending. It was relatively successful but difficult, because you cant access the pins directly (where the wires meet the pins is all encased in the plastic connector). So what i had to do, was cut the wires very short, resolder the wires, and then reseal the join in the grommet sealed metal housing. Using this method, its very easy to cut the connector too short, and possibly pull the wires off the pins in the plastic. Its also hard to get the join in the metal housing beyond the grommet to stop water entry. So, i'm considering cutting the cord, mid-cord somewhere, and joining the wires together and resealing the join. I'm considering just using heat-shrink wire joiner, but i doubt it will provide a reliable seal. Can anyone recommend a way to waterproof a wire after being rejoined?