Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Force Fins

Started by Pfuller ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Force Fins

33 posts
  1. This is one too many Force Fin threads...

     

    My curiosity got the best of me. I purchased a pair of used Pro fins from ebay earlier today.

  2. I think forcefins should be avoided for everyone that doesnt have excellent ninja buoyancy skills to begin with. Unless you like to see operation desert storm under water.

  3. Did JB ever test these fins when he has done his fin tests. Be interesting to see what he has to say abut them. Off ot have a look at his reviews.

     

    Stew

  4. I would agree, generally, with most of what is posted here. I have used a pair of Force Fin Tan Deltas for over 10 years -- back then you could get a pair for around $200 if you found the right website. I recently acquired a pair of the flying force fins when they were running a sale on the forcefin website. Most people either love them or hate them. Very few people are just indifferent. It does require a different kick (faster flutter kick) and the Tan Deltas do require you to have strong legs. I like that they are short and that you can back up in them (as mentioned already). One drawback is that they are not optimal for surface swimming. And, without the comfort instep or some hefty booties, the Tan Deltas will eat into your feet. The flying force fins come with a large cutout on the top of the foot pocket and that is a great improvement.

  5. Yes, people love them or hate them.

     

    For me I feel like swimming with them is like driving a porsche must be.

     

    Sometimes when I'm going tropic and don't need a wetsuit, I jump in the water just to swim around with them.

  6. Heres some 2nd hand ones Stew in the UK if you dare!

    To be honest tho, you'd need to dive more frequently if you want to get used to them easier, thats if the accelerator are same as the pro's

  7. Heres some 2nd hand ones Stew in the UK if you dare!

    To be honest tho, you'd need to dive more frequently if you want to get used to them easier, thats if the accelerator are same as the pro's

     

     

    I cant really see the point in them TBH. Not for the type of diving that I do. If they are made for the purpose of diving against currents, then fair enough they might come in handy for one in five of my dive holidays. I have never felt the need for something like this in the Red Sea, Lembeh certainly not, Tiger Beach I would hope my Tusas could cope with, and if they are aimed at propulsion through a strong current would I not really need to practice in a strong current. Now if I was working on a liveaboard in Komodo, Galapagos the Maldives or somewhere where there is expectations of strong currents then maybe they might save me a few bar on a dive. I dont think they would really be required for a little bimble down under Swanage Pier either.

     

    Tusa Liberator X ten fins £29.99 with a couple of hundred pound left over for a new dioptre :(

     

    Stew

  8. This is one too many Force Fin threads...

     

    My curiosity got the best of me. I purchased a pair of used Pro fins from ebay earlier today.

     

    My fins arrived today with these velcro straps in the package. At the expense of sounding ignorant, I assume these are simply carry straps for each flipper? :)

     

    1187740599_wVhao-M-1.jpg

    Edited by meister
  9. My fins arrived today with these velcro straps in the package. At the expense of sounding ignorant, I assume these are simply carry straps for each flipper? :)

     

    1187740599_wVhao-M-1.jpg

     

    I couldn't find those straps on their web site...maybe they are used to hold the two fins together for transport?

     

    Do let us know how they work out as I'm interested in a pair for myself for surface swimming, but hate to drop that many clams on pair that may or may not be all they're cracked up to be.

  10. I'll give my brief analysis in a few weeks.

     

    With hesitation and at the expense of pointing out a product I most obviously haven't tried yet, if someone has been looking for good price on a Force Fin, there is an ebay seller currently listing (6) new in the box, Force Fin Pro, large size for Buy It Now price of $110 plus $18.50 shipping. These retail out at $289...

  11. I used the Force Fin Pro for twelve boat dives, pushing Aquatica 5D housing with two Ikelite strobes. They pack easier than long fins. My immediate thought after jumping off the boat on dive one was, I forgot to put on my flippers. They're very light weight, efficient and easy to fin, a moderate difference to my full-foot Quattros. In contrast to my first few dives with them, I've become fond of them, except for a couple of dives in strong current, where I would rather had my Quattros. They're short in length, a positive in tight places on the reef, wreck dives, etc. I suspect they'll be good for our upcoming JASA Shearwater trip where the required walking on the dive deck with flippers will be less clumsy than with the long Quattros. I concur with advice from this board, stating you'll likely need a few dives to adjust to them. In summary, I do like them, just not quite sure about them in strong current... I didn't have much chance to test them on the surface.

  12. I couldn't find those straps on their web site...maybe they are used to hold the two fins together for transport?

     

    Do let us know how they work out as I'm interested in a pair for myself for surface swimming, but hate to drop that many clams on pair that may or may not be all they're cracked up to be.

     

     

     

    Ankle straps so they don't go to the botto of the ocean/lake when taking them when getting into the boat..

    Edited by Drew — Removed classified post
  13. Me personally, i don' have a good impression of Force Fins. At least i would not reccomend them for Muckdiving.

     

    Though i have never tried them myself, i have found out, that people using force fins more often kick up sand than other people, when when diving over silty bottoms. This might have to do with the fins being bent up in the front: So the propulsion will always come from the downwards movement of the fin ...

     

    I don't say, that everybody using them will kick up sand ... but it is a way higher percentage than from the people that use normal fins (that beeing said usually force fins are rarely used by beginners).

     

    Of course that is only important if you want to dive on sand ...

     

    Greets, Serge

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.