Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

housing a 10D

Started by m&m ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

housing a 10D

32 posts
  1. I chose the Canon system for my needs in all around shooting. The Canon range of IS lenses cannot be beat. Most of the Canon lenses are USM. This alone is worth the price of admission. I've no doubt that in terms of image quality, Nikon and Canon are pretty equal from the lens' point of view. I entered digital photography when the 10D was announced as the price point was right for me. While Canon does not have the WA options as Nikon for their DSLRs, I believe it's coming. In the meanwhile, I'll keep shooting with the 15 FE and get great images. Listen to our advice but in the end, Canon, Fuji or Nikon, I don't think you'll go wrong for you underwater imaging needs.

     

    My 2 cents....off the soapbox now....I'm going diving in the Philippines again in 3 weeks!

     

    Stu

  2. As near as the time is now, you may wish to see what Canon brings to the table in February as opposed to housing a D10 today.

  3. but Stephen, even if Canon announced today a killer new DSLR body at the right price point with availability in 30 days, it still wound be 3-6 months (next summer) before there was a housing available for it.

     

    if you were to always wait for the next great camera/housing/whatever you'd never buy one becasue there is always the next great thing right around the corner.

     

    if you want to shoot digital underwater today there are ample really good DSLR bodies and housing on the market today. I would bet that anyone investing in a DSLR rig today would still be using it 2-3 years from now just because the investment is not small and the usable life of these rigs is many, many years when well cared for.

  4. but Stephen, even if Canon announced today a killer new DSLR body at the right price point with availability in 30 days, it still wound be 3-6 months (next summer) before there was a housing available for it.

     

    if you were to always wait for the next great camera/housing/whatever you'd never buy one becasue there is always the next great thing right around the corner.

     

    if you want to shoot digital underwater today there are ample really good DSLR bodies and housing on the market today. I would bet that anyone investing in a DSLR rig today would still be using it 2-3 years from now just because the investment is not small and the usable life of these rigs is many, many years when well cared for.

    Marty - I don't argue with your logic in general, and have made the same argument often myself. There are terrific camera and housing combinations today, and they will continue to be good performers well into the future. Actually, it is incredible how far digital imaging with housed SLRs has come in so short a time.

     

    I'm just saying that with only 6 weeks to go until this specific PMA, maybe waiting is not such a bad idea. Last PMA did not present earth-shattering technology. And Photo Expo in New York was likewise without drama. But in February there will be significant product introductions that will affect your choices for digital UW imaging with SLRs in 2004.

  5. hmmm... considering two prominent US dealers are saying wait until PMA I wonder what they already know that we mere consumers must wait for :P

     

    I can hardly wait :P

  6. Not to detract from the amazing statistic that Ike quotes, but the article specifically says 20 compact digital cameras. 2/3rds of the way through the article it says that D-SLR's are important, too.

  7. Yes PMA is only six weeks away. But the new products and housings are, realistically, close to a year away. My dilemma is that I don’t want to dive with the E 20 any more. It is frustrating! Remember that I tend to go diving every three months. Am sure that all will agree that diving is great, but once you get the bug of photographing your experiences, diving is raised to a new level. Should I go with the 10D, I except that it will be replaced in probably two years time. I would wait for the next big thing at PMA 2005. Maybe by that time the cost of making full frame sensors will come down. I don’t know it is all speculation.

     

    Bottom line is it seems the need to upgrade is now. I vowed that this fall when my rig locked up at “aquarium” in Belize. Waiting would sure be a hard thing to do…….. :P

  8. Yes PMA is only six weeks away.  But the new products and housings are, realistically, close to a year away.  My dilemma is that I don’t want to dive with the E 20 any more.  It is frustrating!  Remember that I tend to go diving every three months.  Am sure that all will agree that diving is great, but once you get the bug of photographing your experiences, diving is raised to a new level.   Should I go with the 10D, I except that it will be replaced in probably two years time.  I would wait for the next big thing at PMA 2005.  Maybe by that time the cost of making full frame sensors will come down.  I don’t know it is all speculation.

     

    Bottom line is it seems the need to upgrade is now.  I vowed that this fall when my rig locked up at “aquarium” in Belize.  Waiting would sure be a hard thing to do…….. :P

    Buy the housing for your 10D, have some fun and make some great images. But wait ... you said it was your WIFE getting the 10D for Christmas. Oh well, glad to hear she will share.

     

    The 10D will give you great images, now and in the years to come.

     

    Merry Christmas to all our new online friends.

     

    Steve

  9. :P Questions and ramblings based on my limited understanding of the topic.

     

    I just bought a 10D, 550EX flash, and a 24-70mm F2.8 Canon EF lens.

     

    Considering the lifespan of DSLR's seems to be a couple of years and the lenses work their way up and down the company's lineup should I be particularily worried about my housing?

     

    Considering the lens I bought cost as much as it. I have until mid January to return the thing. Personally I love the feel of it and enjoy the amazing quality I have gotton out of it thus far. The issue of housings from Ikelite not being available is a little disconcerting though.

     

    I just spoke with them today and now they are saying March if at all for housings.

     

    One other question I have is is there anyone with strong objections to the German UK housing with the additional housing or two for the 550EX? The specs of the EX seem a lot more versatile and powerful than a lot of underwater strobes. Again I know next to nothing and possibly less than that about the subject but it would be great to use something I already own vs buying new strobes and arms. I also figured that if one of the 550EX's was connected to the SL6 connector then other ones could be slaved off the wireless of the first one and make for a fairly slick system. Am I nuts?

     

    Thanks in advance.

  10. If you are in the U.S., I suggest that you inquire about UK Germany support before making a decision. From personal experience I found it nearly impossible to get parts in a timely manner. Getting support for me involved shipping the thing to Germany -- which is definitely *not* convenient. Much of the problem involved communication problems with Uwe. He is aware of the problem with American support, and while I have had hints of an effort to rectify the problem, nothing has actually happened.

     

    The Subal housing looks pretty slick, but they do not offer simultaneous depression of the shutter and the * button, which as you all know, is something I gripe about often.

     

    Sea & Sea's transition to TUSA makes me a little nervous. Their 10D housing is more sleek than their older, rounded box housings. If the transition goes well, they may be worth a look.

     

    And there's always Ike, with March availability. :P

  11. Well, I saw the fit and build of the Sea and Sea housings for the D60/D100....I would not even consider it, but their 10D one is smaller...but who knows what the quality would be like. A friend of mine bought the D100 housing from the S&S West Coast Rep and it had apparently been "tweaked" to make sure it worked. Well, we were on a dive in Anacapa and in 2 out of 3 dives, due to a slight mis-alignment of the base tray, the housing didn't work....

     

    You've heard from others what they said about the UK-Germany. I contacted distributor here in Canada and the guy never even got back to me....well, if he was willing to forgo a sale of that size, I wouldn't bother chasing after him.

     

    I've used (and abused) the Subal 10D housing....and I don't consider the lack of the "*" button access a big deal....I'm used to using a half shutter press to engage AF. I'm at about 40K frames on my 10D...so I've put it to good use. Like I said earlier, 3 housings that were on the trip worked flawlessly, all the controls worked without needing "tweaking" My only gripe is that Subal needs better documentation on the housing and the housing viewfinder did rub a wear mark on my camera body....quickly fixed with a small file.

     

    I've seen the build quality of the Nexus and Seacams and they're great, but they don't have 10D housings. If you perceive you want to shoot a DSLR now, just get it. Even if a new camera comes out....it doesn't stop the 10D...or other current DSLR from taking good pics... Moose Peterson was using this D1H's for the longest time and only gave it up for the new higher res D2h...

     

    My 2 cents...

     

    Stu

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.