Hi all!
I've been poking about the forum for a few days, trying to search videos and opinions on DLSR for underwater videography vs. a video camera. I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge out there, I'm just having difficulties accessing it! Any advice I can get is greatly appreciated!
Here's what I'm working with!
I recently graduated film school, so I know my way around video cameras, not so much dlsr but I've been on a few sets and tried out the 7D. I've recently been introduced to scuba and feel at home beneath the waves. My dilemma is that I've been planning on buying a camera to mainly work on documentaries on, something easy to travel with is key. I went to my local camera shop ready to purchase the T3i or maybe even get talked into the 7D, when the man working told me it was all wrong as soon as I mentioned my interest in shooting underwater. He told me horror stories of DSLR sensors heating up and everything being out of focus... then he led me to the video camera section- very pricey.. not sure if this was a sales move or he genuinely wanted me to have the best experience above and below the water! ANYWAY, now I've stretched my budget and am considering these two video cameras JVC GY-HM100U, or a used EX1. OR do you (the people who have experience in shooting underwater, the sales man didn't) think I can use the T3i, or since I am interesting in spending my life savings anyway! the 7D.
Thanks so much for any input. I understand all these cameras have their pros and cons, and may come down to personal preference.