Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Tiny orange crustaceans on sponges, etc.

Started by wetpixel ·

  • 41Posts
  • 41Replies

Read-only discussion

Tiny orange crustaceans on sponges, etc.

41 posts
  1. Hi Leslie,

      Believe me, I have the oldest books on the planet.  I had no idea you were so possessive of worm photos.  Here's one for you.  I was looking at this Dendronephthya and realized there was a polychaete worm wrapped around a branch:  my guess is that it is Odontosyllis sp.

      I took this at Albatross Pass near Three Island Harbor just north-west of Kavieng, in PNG.

    Regards, Judy post-4642-1127425155_thumb.jpg

     

    I'm not, it just seemed like a fun opportunity to tease Eric & play off my own reputation as a worm freak!! :)

     

    But I do like worm images so thanks much for yours. Was this taken at the same place & time as Eric's image of the Hippocampus with the worm wrapped around it? I'll agree that the worms are syllids but there's not enough detail on either pic to say what genus they are. It looks like they're coming out to spawn - another nice piece of behavior captured in pixels!

    Cheers, Leslie

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.