Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Posiedon Regulator

Started by Lndr ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Posiedon Regulator

32 posts
  1. My poor old "student special" budget model Sherwood regs have given up the ghost after 11 years :D So I'm looking for some new regs and this time I'd like to get something that suits my diving better.

     

    I really like the idea of a side exhaust to keep more bubbles away from my viewfinder. Also I plan on getting into Nitrox soon, so I can improve my bottom time. So this leaves me thinking a Posiedon XSteam fits the bill.

     

    Is anyone diving with one? Would you recommend it??

     

    Does the side exhaust help when taking photos?

     

    cheers

    Lndr

  2. I've used Cyklon's for the past 23 years - A testament in itself maybe?

  3. John Bantin is the Technical Editor at Diver magazine (UK), and someone I take very seriously - he's one of the very few people in the business who will write a negative review of a piece of equipment (or a dive operator) he doesn't like or doesn't feel is safe. What's more, they even get into print! (He's also fun to dive and shoot with, and great fun to be on a boat with, but as to his views on using digital cameras underwater - don't ask. No one is perfect.)

     

    In the past, Bantin has been quite negative about Poseidon regulators, but he changed his tune in the October 2003 issue of Diver. "A beautifully tamed beast," John's review of the Xstream, was extremely positive.

     

    Go to Bantin's Review of Poseidon X-stream in Diver and scroll down.

     

    Robert Delfs

  4. I agree about John!

     

    This new reg looks very nice and i'm tempted to get one myself. The only downside to Poseidon's is in the first stage. High pressure hose outlet access makes it difficult to attach transponders for Air X or Z type computers without additional pipe work.

    I just wish now they would bring out a titanium first stage with outlet mods.

  5. I can't comment on the Xstream, but the instructors at my local shop swear by Poseidon in general, especially for deeper dives (which is what they were originally intended for). They are however, very different to breathe off of, which is why some people react negatively to them.

     

    Oceanic also has a side exhaust model, the Omega II. I have 4 of Oceanic's Delta 3 regs, and they're pretty solid. I haven't used the Omega II though.

  6. I really like the idea of a side exhaust to keep more bubbles away from my viewfinder.

    Does the side exhaust help when taking photos?

     

    cheers

    Lndr

    If you haven't tried a side exhaust and your in Sydney I can lend you my spare Dacor Vypertek to try out if you like, I like the side exhaust and while I agree it does breathe wet, which a lot of people don't like, I do like it. I've used mine down to 50m and taken them to the back of caves and they have always performed well.

  7. Poseidons are very populra here in Sweden (where they are made and the water is cold).

     

    But it's mainly the older models - Cyklon and Jetstream - that are popular. Triton seems to be a failure. Not many divers buy them, and those who do are not entirely happy. I have yet to see anyone using an Xstream.

     

    I use a Cyklon, have been for more than 20 years, and have no plans to stop. Can't really tell you if it's better than other ones (even bubble-wise) - I rarely use any other regulator.

     

    /Anders

  8. They are however, very different to breathe off of, which is why some people react negatively to them.

     

    Oceanic also has a side exhaust model, the Omega II. I have 4 of Oceanic's Delta 3 regs, and they're pretty solid. I haven't used the Omega II though.

    I get a psycholigical hang-up if i'm using anything other than a cyklon :D

    The interstage pressure on Poseidon's is set between 12 & 14 bar allowing them to be used deeper, but the 2nd stage can be fine tuned, without bouncing, to create a fantastic breathing pressure at any depth.

    A large ported aluminium block acts has a heat sink to help prevent freeze-ups behind the side mounted reduced diameter diaphram. Plus they are so easy to strip & maintain (If you can get spares), UK especially.

    The mouthpiece is larger than most other regs too, allowing a far more relaxed grip.

     

    Omega II would be a fantastic little reg. if it were not for the cheap nasty metal strip that operates the valve with neg. pressure from the diaphram. This bends out of shape causing problems, and is a pig to reset.

     

    The xtreme looks similar to the jetstream, which again is, or was a benchmark.

  9. A tech buddy of mine used to use Posidens but has since switched to the Apeks. They have been used beyond 1000 feet.

     

    Part of his reasoning for the switch is the easy serviceability of the Apeks. If you are away and need a part or fix they are easy to fix.

  10. I've been using a couple of Oceanic Omegas for about 6 years (500+) dives and have found them great for photography.

     

    They even work in our wonderful English Lakes at 5c

  11. A tech buddy of mine used to use Posidens but has since switched to the Apeks. They have been used beyond 1000 feet.

     

    Part of his reasoning for the switch is the easy serviceability of the Apeks. If you are away and need a part or fix they are easy to fix.

    That's like part exchanging a BMW for a Ford because have a plastic fetish :D:D

  12. Funny comment coming from a Brit. (as they are a British made reg) I hear they are easy on the heart. :D

     

    Note I did not comment negatively about the Posiden, just mentioned that one should consider the ability to get it running if in a less than commercial destination.

  13. I acutally like my two Apeks regs (TX50s), slightly more so than my Oceanics (Delta 3s). They are really dependable, and easy breathing, even at depth and in weird orientations (upside down). I actually would have bought more Apeks, except the shop I deal with stopped carrying them. :angryfire:

  14. Funny comment coming from a Brit. (as they are a British made reg) I hear they are easy on the heart. :D

     

    Note I did not comment negatively about the Posiden, just mentioned that one should consider the ability to get it running if in a less than commercial destination.

     

     

    Tee Hee,

    Thought you'd bite at that Canadian :D As you have both Apex & a Ford :D:o

     

    REPAIRS:

    Wouldn't one have the same ability whatever the reg? :D

     

    If you need more Tom I can ship them.

     

    The original topic was about side exhaust I think, and the benifits for photographers...

     

    Only thing left to say... "Suck it and see!"

  15. Thanks all for the comments, glad to here the glowing recommendations of Poseidon stuff :D

     

     

    High pressure hose outlet access makes it difficult to attach transponders for Air X or Z type computers without additional pipe work.
    interesting point ... the lack of ports on the XStream Duration was a negative, had me thinking I was going to have to resort to a T piece for my drysuit inflator (hadn't thought about the access issue for the ports though) ... I notice that the XStream Dive in john's review has 2 HP and 5 LP ports on its first stage though.

     

    I really like the idea of a side exhaust to keep more bubbles away from my viewfinder. 

    Does the side exhaust help when taking photos?

     

    cheers

    Lndr

    If you haven't tried a side exhaust and your in Sydney I can lend you my spare Dacor Vypertek to try out if you like, I like the side exhaust and while I agree it does breathe wet, which a lot of people don't like, I do like it. I've used mine down to 50m and taken them to the back of caves and they have always performed well.

     

    Thanks for the offer Kiwi. I might take you up on that next time I'm diving in Sydney. I was originally wanting to get a Dacor after seeing it at the Dive Expo. I was disapointed when I found out they weren't recommended for Nitrox ... if I'm buying new regs I thought I should get something Nitrox capable rather than have to buy additional gear in the near future.

     

    Oceanic also has a side exhaust model, the Omega II.  I have 4 of Oceanic's Delta 3 regs, and they're pretty solid.  I haven't used the Omega II though.
    I did try an Omega a few years back, and can't say I was that enamoured ... I had a look again recently (again at the expo) and the reg doesn't seem to have changed so I'm ruling it out ...

     

    lots to consider ... thanx

  16. Only thing left to say... "Suck it and see!"

    that's proving problematic at the moment ... haven't found a diveshop in Oz dealing Poseidon :D ... something about the distributor being canned ...

  17. Yes, I think adding the extra HP outlet caused the squeeze!

     

    BTW: I use an Air X with a 90 deg HP ext - OK. I have added a button pony pressure guage in the other. This allows quick monitoring before donning and starting up computer.

  18. Best try Singapore I think...

  19. good thinking on the pony guage B)

     

    any leads on where to shop in Singapore? I was browsing at scubastore.com

  20. If there's no dealer in proximity to you (or where you dive), servicing might be an issue to consider. Not just annual servicing either. My understanding is that Poseidon regs are a bit tricky, you wouldn't want to hand your regs over to someone who isn't qualified and doesn't have all the special tools and spare parts.

     

    Robert Delfs

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.