Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

10-17mm problem

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

10-17mm problem

33 posts
  1. ;) Using the term Gaffer could case endless miscommunication in the UK. I can just about imagine a "Little Britain" skit for this scenario.

     

    Perhaps involving

    ?

     

    On a more serious note though, hoping my 10-17 holds together. One thing going in my favour is that I rarely select it with the prevailing

    local conditions as they are.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  2. Has anyone tried getting one repaired by Tokina?

    I had the same issue with my 10-17 using an FIT zoom gear that matches using the 1.4x. I sent the lens back to tokina for a fix, $80 and 2 weeks.

  3. I had the same issue with my 10-17 using an FIT zoom gear that matches using the 1.4x. I sent the lens back to tokina for a fix, $80 and 2 weeks.

     

    Same thing, I sent mine to Tokina; expecting it back any day now. Hope it doesn't happen again, I really think this is a poorly engineered lens, but it's the best one for U/W for the price.

     

    John

  4. When is the new Tokina due out? Anyone know?

    Steve

  5. When is the new Tokina due out? Anyone know?

    Steve

     

    B&H is showing them in stock. Best I can tell they have taken off the front lens shade and added a water repellent coating to the glass. Enje reported this new option here.

    I'm guessing this is the new version you're asking about.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  6. Going by the images on B&H they have also put a AF/M focus switch on this version too.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  7. ........... and added a water repellent coating to the glass.
    The original version has the water repellent coating on the glass so it's not a new feature

     

    they have also put a AF/M focus switch on this version too.
    The original Canon version has an AF/M focus switch
  8. The original version has the water repellent coating on the glass so it's not a new feature

     

    The original Canon version has an AF/M focus switch

     

     

    Thanks for the correction. Come to think of it I do remember now a few occasions when my Canon buddy was crying into his mask during

    a dive and then gnashing his teeth post dive after he'd accidentally flicked the switch to M with his Zoom Ring when assembling his rig :huh:

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  9. a friend in the business (ski photog) tells me there may be a new version of the tok 10-17 on the way. Anyone else heard any rumours?

     

     

    Hi

     

    i have a D700 with nauticam housing. I am using a 14mm sigma lens from 20 or so years ago for wide angle and in all of the posts on wetpixel no one has menitoned owning one of these. It seems that the lens of choice is the tokina 10-17mm zoom.

     

    Am I missing out on not owning one of these? What would be the advantages over the sigma?

     

    I wonder now after hearing about the lens 'coming apart' and held together with 'thin tape'. I mean, really, an expensive lens (I'm guessing its expensive) held together with tape??

     

    Allan

  10. Hi

     

    i have a D700 with nauticam housing. I am using a 14mm sigma lens from 20 or so years ago for wide angle and in all of the posts on wetpixel no one has menitoned owning one of these. It seems that the lens of choice is the tokina 10-17mm zoom.

     

    Am I missing out on not owning one of these? What would be the advantages over the sigma?

     

    I wonder now after hearing about the Tokina lens 'coming apart' and held together with 'thin tape'. I mean, really, an expensive lens (I'm guessing its expensive) held together with tape??

     

    I just read that the Tokina is a 'DX' lens. I believe my camera is an 'FX'. Is this a deal breaker?

     

    Allan

  11. Just got my Tokina 10-17 back from the manufacturer to repair the zoom ring. It cost $60 + $10 return shipping and has a 6 month warranty. Seems nice and tight, but fluid in it's movement. I'll be more careful attaching the zoom ring from now on since I know it's just held together with tape.

     

    All in all, it was a good experience dealing with Tokina. I mailed my lens to them just 8 days ago which is a pretty quick turnaround I think.

     

    John

  12. I used shipping tape, and the gearl lives there permanently.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.