Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Minidome setup for Ikelite-d700+sigma15fe?

Started by J-S ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Minidome setup for Ikelite-d700+sigma15fe?

17 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Actually my setup is : D700 + Sigma 15mm FE + Ikelite housing with big dome (8").

     

    I love CFWA.

     

    Wich setup could work with my FF camera in Ikelite?

     

    I've read "Thoughts on Mini Domes" By A. Mustard. Alex said he have some problem with the sigma 15 and his Subal D700.

     

    So, Zend Dp-100 could be a good solution?

     

    Maybe I need to go back to the DX?

     

    Thanks a lot!

  2. Hi

    Yes we have a good mini dome for the D700 + Sigma 15mm FE. Take a look at the links below for more information. I also wanted to clarify that the dome we make for the Tokina 10-17 is a different dome than the one we make for the sigma 15mm ad the focal point / entrance pupil is different for these two lenses. Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye lens or the Sigma 15mm Fisheye on the left and Tokina 10-17 Fisheye lens or the Nikon 16 mm F2.8 AF lens on the right.

     

    post-2195-1308239638.jpg

     

    Also note that Underwater Camera Stuff domes are modular so you can use tele-converters and other lenses with the domes.

     

     

    General dome information http://uwcamerastuff.com/modular_5_dome.htm

     

    Customer Statement and photo's http://uwcamerastuff.com/reference_letters...Kok_in_Malaysia

    Edited by blibecap
  3. Hi,

     

    Thank you Bill & Sean!

     

    Does somebody have tried with D700?

     

    I will read your link :)

  4. At this time I don't have any users with that camera. The ones I have sold are using a Canon 5D Mk II. Where are you located, I do have a evaluation dome.

  5. Hi,

     

    Bill, I'am in France.

     

    JS.

  6. Hi,

     

    Bill, I'am in France.

     

    JS.

     

    Hi JS,

     

    Have you had an opportunity to review the links I provided? Do you have any other questions?

     

    Since you had mentioned that Alex Mustard had some problems with the Sigma 15 and his Subal D700, I re-read his “Thoughts on Mini Domes”. The backing plate of the UnderWater Camera Stuff Modular 5” Dome for the Sigma 15mm has been designed to eliminate the problems he described. When compared to the backing plate of the Tokina 10-17 Modular 5” Dome, you can see that the Sigma 15mm backing plate has been (using Alex’s words) “machined away to work”. The picture I posted in an earlier reply shows the difference in the backing plates.

     

    As I said earlier, I do have a blemished dome that I could loan you for evaluation. However, with a shipping costs of $40 in each direction, it seems cost-prohibitive and not a good option. We will be starting a new production run of the Sigma 15mm domes soon and I could hold one for you from the batch. I am confident the dome will perform well with your system but, if you discover any issues once you use the dome, I will work with you to reach an acceptable resolution.

     

    Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

     

    Bill

  7. Hi JS,

     

    Have you had an opportunity to review the links I provided? Do you have any other questions?

     

    Since you had mentioned that Alex Mustard had some problems with the Sigma 15 and his Subal D700, I re-read his “Thoughts on Mini Domes”. The backing plate of the UnderWater Camera Stuff Modular 5” Dome for the Sigma 15mm has been designed to eliminate the problems he described. When compared to the backing plate of the Tokina 10-17 Modular 5” Dome, you can see that the Sigma 15mm backing plate has been (using Alex’s words) “machined away to work”. The picture I posted in an earlier reply shows the difference in the backing plates.

     

    As I said earlier, I do have a blemished dome that I could loan you for evaluation. However, with a shipping costs of $40 in each direction, it seems cost-prohibitive and not a good option. We will be starting a new production run of the Sigma 15mm domes soon and I could hold one for you from the batch. I am confident the dome will perform well with your system but, if you discover any issues once you use the dome, I will work with you to reach an acceptable resolution.

     

    Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

     

    Bill

     

    Hi Bill,

     

    I've read your Link. Very usefull. Thank you.

     

    I'm sorry for my english, what is "backing plate" and wich photo is?

     

    I've another question, how close I can get? Alex can fill the frame with a Urchin with the Zen (4"). Is it possible with your 5" dome?

     

     

    Thank a lot!

     

    JS.

  8. Hi Js

    The "backing plate" is the back part (the black) of the dome shown below. The Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye lens / Sigma 15mm Fisheye on the left. The Tokina 10-17 Fisheye lens or the Nikon 16 mm F2.8 AF lens on the right.

     

    post-2195-1308673848.jpg

     

    I've another question, how close I can get? Alex can fill the frame with a Urchin with the Zen (4"). Is it possible with your 5" dome?

     

    You can get as close as you want to get until the object touches the dome. The tokina 10-17 really has a really close focus.

     

    Bill

  9. Bill:

     

    Had any requests for a minidome for the Sigma 8-16mm yet? Interested? It's a bit of a longer lens (physically) at about 4"... http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/8-16mm-f45-56-dc-hsm-sigma

     

    Starting to plan out my kit, have this lens with a Sony DST-a55 now (and possibly an -a77 come October), and right now Ikelite looks like my best housing chance. But I'd like of like to avoid the huge 8" dome in the packing this time, while still wanting to take WA shots.

     

    (EDIT) crud, this was a total thread-jacking. Sorry....

    Edited by rtrski
  10. Hi rtrski

     

    That would be a special dome between the Canon 15mm and the Tokina 10-17 with a 5510.16 port. I can custom make one up for you when your ready for a slight premium. The modal point moves about 6.5mm or a little more than 1/4". What this means is that it can only be perfect at one focal distance but it would be close throughout the range.

     

    I think you would be happy with it and get good quality images.

     

    Your also correct "(EDIT) crud, this was a total thread-jacking. Sorry...."

     

    Have a great day

  11. Thanks for the great info!

  12. Reef Photo, in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, has made a Zen mini-dome specifically for a Nikon D700, using a 15mm Sigma lens in a Subal housing. I know because I got the first one. :-) I love it!

     

    My first dive with it:

    post-3320-1308791708.jpg

     

    Fletcher

  13. Reef Photo, in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, has made a Zen mini-dome specifically for a Nikon D700, using a 15mm Sigma lens in a Subal housing. I know because I got the first one. :-) I love it!

     

    My first dive with it:

    post-3320-1308791708.jpg

     

    Fletcher

     

    Fletcher,

     

    Nice Wa shot!

     

    Do you have a CFWA shot to show?

     

    Thank you :)

     

     

    Hi Js

    The "backing plate" is the back part (the black) of the dome shown below. The Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye lens / Sigma 15mm Fisheye on the left. The Tokina 10-17 Fisheye lens or the Nikon 16 mm F2.8 AF lens on the right.

     

    post-2195-1308673848.jpg

     

    I've another question, how close I can get? Alex can fill the frame with a Urchin with the Zen (4"). Is it possible with your 5" dome?

     

    You can get as close as you want to get until the object touches the dome. The tokina 10-17 really has a really close focus.

     

    Bill

     

    Thank you Bill!

     

    I will make some dry test on land to show how close I can get with the TC 1.4.

     

    Sigma, also, have a close focus. :rolleyes:

  14. A CFWA shot of the Spiegel Grove wreck in the Florida Keys. The coral is about 6-7 in. across.

     

    Fletcher

    post-3320-1308872268.jpg

  15. Hello!

     

    there is two Zen minidome for Ikelite.

    One for Tokina : DP-100-IT

    One for Canon : DP-100-IC

     

    Maybe somebody have made a test with a nikon full frame D700 with Sigma 15"?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you.

  16. I've choosen the one made by Underwater camera stuff :

    ucspd5_2.jpg

     

    Have to test in real underwaterworld :)

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.