Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Proud new Subal owner

Started by Bombsight ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Proud new Subal owner

7 posts
  1. Going to Cabo San Lucas this weekend. Anyone have any suggestive baby steps? Never have shot with a dslr underwater. Inons are somewhat confusing :rolleyes: .

    post-25466-1308579288.jpg

  2. Tips? Get close to your subject... When you think you are close, get closer! :rolleyes: Other than that, the beauty of any digital system is that it allows immediate review underwater, so just check your results on the camera LCD and keep shooting, the more you shoot the better you get at it. One important thing though, do not trust the LCD to judge exposure, the brightness of the LCD is very misleading underwater, use a preview mode that shows the histogram of the photo.

  3. Test it without camera first!

  4. Congrats on a great housing! I assume from your profile that this is for one of your Canons.

     

    Be sure to take the rubber eye piece off the camera!

     

    Check out this thread for strobe settings/info: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...821&hl=inon

     

    Have fun and post some pics!

     

    Phil

  5. If you have never shot DSLR, or with Inons, I recommend you take an incremental approach. Start with some shallow dives, good light, camera only no strobes and shoot available light and get a good feel for what your available light settings are - particularly wide angle - check your blues in the background etc. Once you are happy with these settings start with one or two strobes and set them low to begin painting in some strobe, add more strobe as you get the hang of it. I can't see from the picture if you are using synch cords and manual flash or fibre optic and TTL. Obviously if you have TTL setup the strobes will do some of the brain work for you.

  6. Hey, congrats to the new housing :rolleyes:

     

    I started with a underwater DSLR roughly 10 months ago, so I'll just list the stuff I wish I would've learned better up front.

     

    1) Get used to the the aperture & shutter controls, so that you can change the values blind folded. At least for me, the housing felt different enough to control than the naked camera, so in the beginning it took too much attention.

     

    2) Practice a lot with the strobes, so you get a feeling for distance to subject VS aperture. Power down the strobes initially.

     

    3) Isolate your subjects. I know the mantra is 'get closer', but how close? Underwater scenes are quite messy with all organic shapes, corals and stuff, you'll need to fill a substantial portion of the frame with the subject to have it stand out.

     

    Your system might be quicker and more helpful with 1) and 2) than mine (I've old d70, no TTL). If so, you don't need to bother as much fiddling with the settings =)

     

     

    Have fun, post your pics!

    Edited by christianh
  7. Thanks everybody! ... those are all great tips. :rolleyes:

     

    I especially can relate to "knowing the controls blindfolded". Thats going to kill me until.

     

    ... btw, the pic doesnt show it but i'm using Nikonos 5 pin cords.

     

    Mark

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.