Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Battery Chargers

Started by jimbo1946 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Battery Chargers

11 posts
  1. Battery Chargers

    My old battery charger is getting clunky and needs to be replaced. I've seen ads for the Ray-O-Vac and Sunpak chargers for nickel-metal hydride batteries. They look pretty compact and lightweight, and they advertise very short recharge times.

     

    The charger needs to hold at least four AA batteries. I've seen a good review for the "Monster Procharger 2100," but it's about $100 - way too expensive! Any recommendations?

     

    Thanks very much,

    Jim

  2. There's a pinned thread on batteries in the Consumer Digicam section. I like Thomas Distributing as a supplier and the Maha 204 and 401 chargers. Get the the universal supplies (which are an extra cost item). The 204 has a battery drain option but charges two at a time. The 401 has slow and fast modes and charges each cell individually. I prefer the 401.

  3. Oops! Thanks for the info, Craig.

  4. For my money, I would go for the Ansmann line of chargers carried by Nexus America. I was on a recent dive trip to the Philippines where we had very questionable voltage and numerous power spikes due to fluctuating current. Voltage ranged from 180 to 220 VAC....Chargers and converters from Rayovac, Energizer, Radio Shack and Maha went belly up by the first few days, I had 3 Ansmann chargers that can charge from AAA to D's and my room turned into the charging station for about 8 other photographers.

     

    His website is:

     

    Nexus website

     

    I have nothing to gain by this, I'm simply a very satisfied customer.

     

    Stu

  5. I have a smart charger which takes 10 batteries (12 would have been perfect). It can discharge and when charging detect when to switch to trickle for individual batteries which has been great.

     

    Its compact for the number of batteries it takes - I've seen 4 battery capacity chargers the same size. Being able to charge more than one set is great for the big capacity NIMH batteries which can have long charge times. BTW most chargers advertise the charge times for small 1600 MAH batteries which are significantly less than the good 2100 or 2200 MAH batteries. The other pro for this charger is that it can be doing a different thing for in each battery bay at the same time, ie fast charge, trickle charge or discharge.

     

    this is the charger ...

    Charger

     

    cheers

    Lndr

  6. I would have to agree on the Ansmann chargers - coupled with their 2200mAh cells, excellent combo for reliable power.

  7. I have an Ansmann that does 12 AA NiMh. It is a smart cahrger and I have to go with scubastu. Mine has worked when others have failed.

     

    Nemo

  8. I have an Ansmann that does 12 AA NiMh. It is a smart cahrger and I have to go with scubastu. Mine has worked when others have failed.  

     

    I went to this model after my last trip - it is large, but it beats being up all night trying to charge batteries for the next days diving. Also 12 batteries is perfect as my camera and both strobes all take 4 AA's so this is charging one full set. It is awesome.

     

    M

     

    P.S. Even if you don't buy this charger, one word of advice. Do NOT buy chargers that only accept local current - especially in the USA where this is pretty common. It is a huge pain-in-the-butt when you travel and you have made this mistake.

  9. My Ansmann did not work well in Fiji. It would charge some cells some of the time, but it would never do all 12. I don't know why, the resort (Garden Island) had the usual Fiji power. Some cells would flash red for days on end and never take a full charge, but they charged fine when I used my 4-cell Maha charger. I figured it was something to do w/ the current variation and the cells WERE actually charged, so I tried a couple and the charger wasn't lying - they were not charged.

     

    I ended up giving up on the Ansmann on that trip and using the Maha full time instead. I can't explain it. The Ansmann is working fine back here at home.

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. I recently bought a varta charger, which charges special 4AA or 4AAA batteries within 15min. And guess what: it really works.

     

    If somebody is interested, here is a link:

    http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/content.p...ta-consumer.com

     

    unfortunately it has quite some weight.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.