I have several sets of NiMHs each 4 of 'em (C5050z use 4), each with different brand, i.e. Sanyo, Panasonic, GP, Sony and always use and recharge a brand at a time. That way I'll never use different batt power (note: your batt is as good as the weakest in the set) into my DC. (If you don't want vary brands, one could simply mark the batt in groups)
4 sets of NiMH (above 1800) would be enough for me accompanied by 2hrs charger which accomodates wide range voltage (100V~240V). The wide range voltage is essentials for me as my destinations mostly secluded islands around Indonesia, powered by fluctuates-voltage generators. I'm using Panasonic BQ175 cost USD25 incl. 4 Panasonic NiMH 2000. For keeping the batt at its best, plug 'em in more cheaper 16hrs charger after recharged - note that the 'keeper' must be equipped with smart-charging, anti-flooding IC's so the batt wouldn't overcharged.
'Cycle' the batt for 2-3 times before really depends on them as (reliable) power source, simply charge initially for 8 hrs, and then unload the power in a lantern all night long (i use it as a night lamp), repeat it until 3 times and the batts are ready.
Thats how i take care of my NiMH. I'm a newbie in DC and NiMH, so IMHO those practices seems 'absurd' for some of you. I really love some inputs and crits.