Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony A77 DSLR: Will housing makers ignore these specs?!?

Started by Drew ·

  • 66Posts
  • 66Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony A77 DSLR: Will housing makers ignore these specs?!?

66 posts
  1. I'm not one to read rumor sites but this one was sent by someone who supposedly knows what's coming Aug 24th. So:

     

    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/?p=7869

     

    The Sony A77, with AVCHD 1080/60p 28mbps plus a unlimited x/sync. I'm sure it'll take some sort of wizardry to get the strobes to sync but high speed sync and super video for $1300?!?

     

    Can't wait for the CaNikon replies... although I'm pretty sure Nikon will suck at video ...AGAIN!

  2. I'm not one to read rumor sites but this one was sent by someone who supposedly knows what's coming Aug 24th. So:

     

    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/?p=7869

     

    The Sony A77, with AVCHD 1080/60p 28mbps plus a unlimited x/sync. I'm sure it'll take some sort of wizardry to get the strobes to sync but high speed sync and super video for $1300?!?

     

    Can't wait for the CaNikon replies... although I'm pretty sure Nikon will suck at video ...AGAIN!

    Yeah, looks pretty sweet. Seems like Nikon's D400 will be based on the same sensor. You're probably right about the video, though it makes no difference to me, I suck worse at shooting video, than the cameras do. :)

  3. I'm not one to read rumor sites but this one was sent by someone who supposedly knows what's coming Aug 24th. So:

     

    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/?p=7869

     

    The Sony A77, with AVCHD 1080/60p 28mbps plus a unlimited x/sync. I'm sure it'll take some sort of wizardry to get the strobes to sync but high speed sync and super video for $1300?!?

     

    Can't wait for the CaNikon replies... although I'm pretty sure Nikon will suck at video ...AGAIN!

     

    I sincerely hope not (in response to your subject line). I've been watching this news for some time, although more on the still than the video front, personally.

     

    I've just received an Ike housing for the SLT-a55, but am seriously considering an a77 body when they become available for topside use, and perhaps a near-immediate housing next spring if at that point it proves un-put-downable (camera isn't supposed to be available in the states until late Sept-ish, which probably means 2012 for housings, and I've got to get some experience with the a55 rig for a trip in Jan).

     

    With all the attention on the NEX cameras for smaller size from multiple housing manufacturers, it flabbergasts me that the a33/a55 got ignored outside of Ike. The performance in the fixed mirror package is really quite good as a compact DLSR argument (and of course Ike's housing is in their standard mold size...so....not really taking advantage of the small size of the body) and without having to go to a smaller sensor (a la micro 4:3rds) and "in-camera distortion corrected" lenses to get there. Plus you retain PDAF, although I recognize the fastest mirrorless CDAFs are getting much closer.

    Edited by rtrski
  4. As a Nikon shooter, all I can say is I expect Sony to be the number 1 camera maker in a very short time. They put out some impressive cameras.

     

    I presently own the Nikon D7000. I think it will be my last DSLR. DSLR's are too huge, and require too much baby sitting to protect them from thieves. Smaller cameras are in my future, and they will probably be Sonys.

  5. Are you distinguishing "SLTs" vs "SLRs" in that smallness size?

     

    The fixed-translucent-mirror a33, a35, a55, and even upcoming a65 are pretty small compared to most DSLRs (certainly compared to the D7000), but not really effectively smaller than the smallest DSLRs (4:3rds E-420 for example). But they did get down to their size without dropping sensor size at least.

     

    The upcoming a77 higher end model that started this thread looks to be on par with the size of the a700, and the most recent 'leak' indicates a weight on par with my old Oly E-30 which was a pretty solid 'mid-sized' DSLR scale despite the smaller sensor. Some of the size that's "lost" not having a mobile mirrorbox (and permitting adjustment of the mirror angle as a result) is given back in housing the EVF electronics, heatsinking for an always-on main sensor, and in other features like the actuated frame for the rear screen. Plus, ergonomically, the body can only be 'so small' as the lens to sensor distance isn't changing so the lenses aren't shrinking that much.

     

    The true mirrorless cameras of course are another beast entirely, size-wise...

  6. Given that Ikelite ignored the Panasonic GH2, I'm worried that they will ignore this one too.

     

    --Mark

  7. .... The Sony A77, with AVCHD 1080/60p 28mbps plus a unlimited x/sync. ...!

     

    An unlimited sync speed would be a very good reason to consider the Sony A77 for underwater photography. If that turns out to be true, there will be strong demand for this camera. I am sure Ikelite will respond favorably if there is strong demand.

     

    (Not to hijack the thread here, maybe we should start a new one) As far as size goes, pocketable is the size I desire. I know that is a pipe dream for underwater photographers, but for other photographers, Sony is getting closer to that. For example, the Sony HX9V. I know it won't satisfy professionals, but it is a nice, pocketable camera with lots of features for the average photographer. And, it has incredible video.

    Edited by Don in Colorado
  8. Given that Ikelite ignored the Panasonic GH2, I'm worried that they will ignore this one too

    --Mark

    Well, they did do an a33/a55 housing. The a35 already says "under consideration" on their website. So if they don't house the a77, they might at least house the a65 which is nearly the same specs, in a less ruggedized (plastic vs. magnesium, no weather sealing) slightly smaller body. I could live with that....(right now I plan on buying an a77 regardless, but it may only end up being for topside while I keep the a55 for u/w or upgrade only to the a65....)

     

    Just played with my a55 housing in the pool for the first time tonight. At first I thought they didn't include a lens release control, then I realized the control that reaches the AF/MF switch beside the lens mount does double duty. :) A bit weird how they had to 'countersink' the viewfinder, and 'grooved' the housing for a long horizontal shaft for the video start/stop control. But otherwise, a good first try; just doing pool lens tests to decide on the preferred dome/lens/diopter-or-not combination for 'normal' range shots.

  9. (Not to hijack the thread here, maybe we should start a new one) As far as size goes, pocketable is the size I desire. I know that is a pipe dream for underwater photographers, but for other photographers, Sony is getting closer to that. For example, the Sony HX9V. I know it won't satisfy professionals, but it is a nice, pocketable camera with lots of features for the average photographer. And, it has incredible video.

     

    I actually like the big dome and housings that are now prevalent, when I'm diving with feeding sharks! It's much easier to put that between me and the sharks than my hand. I doubt having a P&S housing shoved in their face is a big enough deterrent when they lunge through a baitball and find me on the other side! :)

  10. The question about the SLT cameras is that whatever sensor they use, you loose 1/2 - 2/3 stop of light, with the transparent mirror...

     

    So the same sensor, in a conventional SLR or mirrorless design, will give better IQ.

  11. The question about the SLT cameras is that whatever sensor they use, you loose 1/2 - 2/3 stop of light, with the transparent mirror...

     

    So the same sensor, in a conventional SLR or mirrorless design, will give better IQ.

     

    It's only 1/3 stop. The recent sensor technology is good enough to sacrafice some light for other technical benefits (no mirror vibration, fast exposure, AF during video etc.)

  12. It's only 1/3 stop. The recent sensor technology is good enough to sacrafice some light for other technical benefits (no mirror vibration, fast exposure, AF during video etc.)

    No question there are some benefits, but none that you mention are considered real major disadvantages of current SLR technology. Of course the Canon Pellix did this in the 60's.

    From a practical perspective, it will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable decrease in viewfinder brightness which can be a disadvantage particularly in low light photography.

    I think once EVF's become as good or better than present live viewfinders, and shutter lag is minimized or eliminated, then camera makers will be able to eliminate mirrors altogether even in pro cameras.

    I think the cool thing about Sony is that they are taking chances, and flooding the market with different ideas. If they really get their lens options to a point where they are equivalent to Nikon and Canon, and they pay attention to the ergonomics desired by serious photographers, I think they can really dominate.

    Edited by loftus
  13. No question there are some benefits, but none that you mention are considered real major disadvantages of current SLR technology. Of course the Canon Pellix did this in the 60's.

    From a practical perspective, it will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable decrease in viewfinder brightness which can be a disadvantage particularly in low light photography.

    I think once EVF's become as good or better than present live viewfinders, and shutter lag is minimized or eliminated, then camera makers will be able to eliminate mirrors altogether even in pro cameras.

    I think the cool thing about Sony is that they are taking chances, and flooding the market with different ideas. If they really get their lens options to a point where they are equivalent to Nikon and Canon, and they pay attention to the ergonomics desired by serious photographers, I think they can really dominate.

     

    Sony was latecomer in the arena of video DSLRs but they claimed to do it right. I'm not that much into video but as far as I can judge these sony models are the only vDSLRs capable of fast AF during video. This is due to the phase-detection AF enabled by the pellicle mirror design. Bonus is the 10 fps (rare in this price class, and no need for mirror lock-up for studio macro works).

    Sony thinks that EVF is the furure. I'm not that happy with the recent version but we will see the new generation soon. According to the rumors it will be fantastic (3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder). Discarding the flipping mirror and the pentaprism(mirror) enables further reduction of the camera (which is welcomed in the UW photography word)

    These might be minor improvements but some of them will be useful also for UW-photographers, especially when they matured.

    I agree with you that the lens lineup of sony should be improved a lot.

    Edited by gobiodon
  14. :)

     

    Jack-of-all-trades, master of none?

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

  15. Getting rid of the mirror slap noise is something I am really looking forward to. I can hardly wait until all cameras get rid of it.

  16. :)

     

    Jack-of-all-trades, master of none?

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

    After re-reading the OP, I don't really understand your post. At least in the video department the a77 will shine. And it will be the master of many more trades.

    These are the latest rumored specs:

    24.3 MP Exmor HD CMOS sensor

    19 points AF sensor with 11 cross sensors

    ISO 100-16000, with expandeable ISO 50 option

    1920 x 1080 60p/24p AVCHD 2.0

    P/A/S/M manual controls while recording video

    1200 zone metering

    Completely new developed Bionz processor

    12 fps

    1/8000 shutter speed

    50ms minimum release time lag

    electronic first shutter curtain

    TrueBlack 921k 3-way tilt LCD

    3 million dot OLED viewfinder

    Smart teleconverter function with 1.4x and 2.0x option

    Built-in flash

    Built-in GPS

    Battery life with over over 500 shots

    Magnesium alloy body

    Dust and Moisture proof

    Multi Frame NR

    SD card (no CF!)

    A77 weights 680g and A65 weights 543g

    Source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-ple...ked-in-germany/

    These specifications seems to be quite fine for me. If the new sensor will be slightly improved compared to the previous generation, a77 could be easily the best aps-c camera on the market (for a while).

    Edited by gobiodon
  17. The sony slt's do not use an optical view finder. They use a tiny sensor and an evf. Not as good as the one in the gh2, from my brief inspection at a store.

  18. Sony Rumors say the camera will be announced on Wednsday when all the details should be released. This link has been posted showing the new 3 million dot OLED viewfinder which looks alot better than past Sony offerings. Thats twice the dot count of the GH-2.

     

    http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc498/...2ac885aa16e.jpg

     

    Phil Rudin

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.