Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony Nex7 Rummor

Started by Deep6 ·

  • 29Posts
  • 29Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony Nex7 Rummor

29 posts
  1. The NEX(s) are NOT 4/3-ers (Oly & PanY). They are APS-C sensor ~ 1.5 crop factor from full 35 x 26 mmm sensor.

     

    Thanks for that explanation, I didn't realize that!

     

    I thought the Mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras were all using the same system (I should have read more about it on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrorless_in...le-lens_camera)

     

    NOW I understand why divephotoguide's NEX-5 review made such a deal about the lack of lens availability.

     

    Damn, was all set to buy this upon release, as I am ready to upgrade from my canon S90.

     

    SO, back to the drawing board...do I buy the Nikon D7000, wait for Sony to bring out some more lenses, or wait for Panasonic to bring out a camera with similar specs as the NEX-7??? :B):

  2. Yep-ers, but a 3rd party would likely make an adapter sans the tripod mount. With only one control, this system would be limited to primes for MF. I have the Nexus multi-port (focus or zoom control in the port) that could be adapted to the Nauti, but it would dwarf the housing.

    Bob

    I think you misunderstood this adapter. It has his own motor and phase-detect AF support, so it will autofocus with all alpha lens with and without motor built in the lens. Sony has currently 3 AF macro (30mm, 50mm, 100mm) and they are excellent. You can also use the unique 200mm minolta macro (if you find it used). In addition, you can use the 3rd party offers of tamron and sigma (tokina has only 1 wide zoom for sony mount), so you have a wide range of choice for quality fix and zoom lenses.

     

    There are a wide range of adapters supporting practically any lens on the nex system but MF only. It's been available for long time. You can use even the 10-17mm tokina but without AF.

     

    In theory, it would be possible to build something similar to support nikon and canon lenses. It was clearly not designed for underwater use, but after refinement of the adapter, and including it in the housing design, I see some potential.

  3. Thanks for that explanation, I didn't realize that!

     

    I thought the Mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras were all using the same system (I should have read more about it on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrorless_in...le-lens_camera)

     

    NOW I understand why divephotoguide's NEX-5 review made such a deal about the lack of lens availability.

     

    Damn, was all set to buy this upon release, as I am ready to upgrade from my canon S90.

     

    SO, back to the drawing board...do I buy the Nikon D7000, wait for Sony to bring out some more lenses, or wait for Panasonic to bring out a camera with similar specs as the NEX-7??? :B):

    John,

    I'm in the same boat. I am trying to decide between two apples and one watermelon: NEX-7 (8/11), GF7 (1/12?), and D400 (2-3/12?).

    Bob

  4. I think you misunderstood this adapter. It has his own motor and phase-detect AF support, so it will autofocus with all alpha lens with and without motor built in the lens.

    Thanks for the explanation; I didn't realize it would have AF. I have a Dremel Tool and know how to use it!

     

    "If you build it, they will come." - The Voice from "The Field of Dreams” or may be it was Teddy Roosevelt talking about the Panama Canal. :B):

     

    Bob

  5. Hi,

     

    I am just on my way back to Germany from a two-week-trip to Pulau Pef / Raja Ampat. Thanks to the kindness of Claudia Claudia Pellarini-Joubert and Leon Joubert, the resident photo-pros, I had the opportunity to test for one day the NEX 5 with a fisheye adapter in an Aquapazza housing, equipped with two YS-110a strobes.

     

    The new NEX 7 obviously is improved in one point that was frustrating: Changing time and f-stop is a pest with the NEX 5. Of course, it does work, but boy... so complicated. You have to press a button to choose if you wish to change time or f-stop, then turn a wheel (which sometimes did not have enough grip - poor design of the housing!! ) to change the values, then press the button again twice to select the other option, then turn the wheel again. Ooops - the nudibranch has run away!!

     

    The new design of the NEX 7 will eliminate this source of frustration.

     

    BUT: There was one more thing that I was not used to (I must confess - I still shoot ANALOG with a Nikonos RS) - and this is the time I have to wait in betwen pictures. With my trusty old Ikelite strobes I can fire and fire, and they recharge almost instantly. The YS110a are not bad - but the camera' internal strobe is! The internal strobe triggers the external strobes, and so I did have to wait for the next shot until the internal strobe (which was set to "Fill Flash") had recycled. Baaah. A couple of seconds! And again, the nudi...

     

    When I look at the specs of the new NEX 7 it says "4 seconds recycle time". My old Olympus SP 350, which I take with me just for fun from time to time, does better! It has a mode where I can set the strobe power from 1 to 10, so when I use the lowest power (which would be good enough for triggering) it recycles very fast.

     

    Does the NEX 7 has such a feature??? If not, I find this to be more of a problem than lens choice, at least for me. See two images I attach from my test-day, they are "good enough" for me (technically, i.e. sharpness, exposure etc), considered that they were my first shots with that camera.

     

    Why do I bother? Because sooner or later I am afraid I will have to say "R.I.P" to my good old, trusty RS.

     

    Kind regards,

    Jock

     

    post-5673-1314532154.jpg

    post-5673-1314532075.jpg

    Edited by Jock
  6. The panason gh2 is not that much bigger than the rangefinder style, and is well supported by housing manufacturers.

     

    It is a truly great camera. With built in view finder, and does not slow down at all in live view. Still pic IQ near canon (very close on DR and SNR), and the best video out there, of any vidslr...

     

    You don't have to wait!

     

    They gh2 has a hotshoe, so you can use wire sync cords if desired. The nex7 and gf7 also are supposed to have hotshoes.

  7. Remember earlier i said i wouldnt hold my breath for the sony e-mount macro lens..

    well..

    speak of the devil..

    There is now a new sample pics of the sony 30mm macro lens..

     

    http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2011/09/s...ns-samples.html

    Edited by meme.may.fire
  8. Remember earlier i said i wouldnt hold my breath for the sony e-mount macro lens..

    well..

    speak of the devil..

    There is now a new sample pics of the sony 30mm macro lens..

     

    http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2011/09/s...ns-samples.html

    Michael Reichman is a Sony NEX 7 fan boy :D He does reflect on that he only found one real short comming for the camera (HD in 0.7not 2 EVs). Nice review.

    Check it out:

    M. R. Nex 7

     

    Bob

  9. Changing time and f-stop is a pest with the NEX 5. Of course, it does work, but boy... so complicated. You have to press a button to choose if you wish to change time or f-stop, then turn a wheel (which sometimes did not have enough grip - poor design of the housing!! ) to change the values, then press the button again twice to select the other option, then turn the wheel again. O

    Hi, I have just registered here and was browsing the recent topics, when I came across this one. I have just bought a Nex-5 and Nauticam housing, and have only limited experience with it. However, with the latest firmware update you are able to customize many buttons on the camera, which makes changing settings a lot easier. As for shooting in M mode, rotating the dial directly changes aperture OR shutter speed, and you need only to press one button once (the bottom on on the control dial I think) to switch between the two. If you work like this, the nudi should not have moved to much :-)

     

    Cheers,

    Reindert

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.