Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

I saw the censored version of Disney's Oceans movie

Started by acuevas ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

I saw the censored version of Disney's Oceans movie

9 posts
  1. Last year I went to the theater to see the Disney's movie Oceans, it was the spanish version, as I understand is very similar to the original french version.

    The images were incredible and the message very strong.

     

    Few weeks ago I rented the bluray of Oceans in order to see it again in home.

    Everything went well, I was waiting for the scene of the shark without fins and the part where they talk about the extinction of a lot of species.

    But we never saw those parts!!! Somebody cut them out!!!

    The climax of the entire documentary was not there!!!

     

    When the movie finished, my wife looked at me and said: WTF just happened???

    My answer: This is a censored version I presume.

     

    I now understand why some people says that this documentary doesn't have a solid message, that is just a bunch of nice images and nothing more. They didn't see the complete work.

     

    I have tried to locate a bluray with the complete version with no success. This is very sad.

  2. A friend just returned my copy and it was still in there. But mine is the original version direct from Galatee.

    Perhaps you got the Disney version which left out the scene for the US because of the G rating?

  3. A friend just returned my copy and it was still in there. But mine is the original version direct from Galatee.

    Perhaps you got the Disney version which left out the scene for the US because of the G rating?

     

    That means that kids are not ready to understand environmental problems?

     

    Do you know if there is an online store where to buy the original version?

  4. I never saw the US release so I'm just assuming the scene was taken out. Disney (and for that matter, US releases of quite a few films) change the edits of films quite a bit. It is a different market with different sensibilities as a big market. There tends to be a lot more demand for narratives.

    Check the euro amazon. They should have the euro versions.

    Edited by Drew
  5. We had a lively exchange a year ago about the subject: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38547

    Talk about an example of long, story-less slideshow of disconnected underwater shots (shorts?)...

    It would be interesting to interview the editors and ask them what they were thinking. But the directors can't have been left totally out of the loop though...

    Edited by uwxplorer
  6. Some of the most incredible underwater footage I've ever seen.

     

    But no continuity, no story, and insipid narration.

  7. They cut one of the most important scenes ina movie because kids are not ready to handle environmental issues, but keep the love scenes as if it's more appropriate, what a sense they got !!!!

  8. They cut one of the most important scenes ina movie because kids are not ready to handle environmental issues, but keep the love scenes as if it's more appropriate, what a sense they got !!!!

     

    Are you saying that the scenes which have been edited out of the US cut are traumatic for kids? The US version is rated G (general audience) so it has to be watchable by kids. That would make (some) sense, then... But still, I have a hard time believing that a few bloody scenes would have changed much to the general scheme: one shot here, one shot there, another one in another place, and we start over again...

  9. But still, I have a hard time believing that a few bloody scenes would have changed much to the general scheme

     

    Of all the omitted scenes there is only one with some blood, the one with the shark without fins, but is not too much.

    The rest is about all the creatures that are extinct, there is no blood at all, just a kid and his grandfather in a museum looking some animals while the old man says, this one is GONE and this one GONE.

    This is done in a very clever way and in the right moment of the documentary, and it does change everything in the general scheme, the non censored scenes are a preparation for this conclusion.

     

    IMHO the message of this documentary is about showing how beautiful is the ocean but how bad we are treating it and resulting of that a lot of species are disappearing.

    You can see that message in the original version and not in the censored one.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.