Newbie questions; Can I start with Nikon D3S underwater housing question and after everyone gets off the bottom of the sea where they have been laughing at me, get some insight on cool water gloves, suites, dry suits, etc?
Starting from scratch with a Nikon full frame system, what underwater housing system and strobes should I look into? Aquatica or Subal seems to be the likely suspects for housing and ports. Complcating my search I noticed while pricing Aquatica housings there is a Aquatica kit including a D700 body that is not much more than the D3S housing alone. I am also finding the next new camera bug gets even more expensive with housings and as an NPS member, I would have priority to pick up the rumored D4 if it becomes reality and due to my other photography requirements, would likely pick one up.
I grew up on a lake and you can't get me out of the water on tropical vacations but I have never been scuba diving. This week I start the PADI open water diving certification course. Living in the Seattle and Puget Sound area, I will need to invest in a dry suit based setup and see this hobby becoming as big a money pit as photography.
Speaking of which, I am a somewhat accomplished photographer specializing in shooting sports at the highest level and have always been interested in underwater photography. I plan to make sure I enjoy scuba diving and don't have any challenges but if it turns out I become comfortable, safe and proficient, underwater photography is sure to be a major focus of my diving.
Assuming all that happens, where do I start in putting together an underwater system? I currently shoot with two bodies, both Nikon D3S's. Have the entire series of pro zooms including the AFS 14-24 f2.8 ED, AFS 24-70 f2.8 ED, AFS, AFS II VR 70-200 f2.8, and the AFS VR 200-400 f4. I also have the AF Micro 105mm f2.8, a 400 f2.8 and a 600 f4.
My thought was to start with an underwater housing for a D3S and a lens port for the 14-24 and the 24-70. A couple of compatible strobes would be a requirement in Puget Sound, not that I wouldn't emphasize lighting in a tropical area.
Depending on where underwater photography takes me I would consider adding a port for a close-up lens and possibly the 70-200 if I can justify a reason.
From the land based photography world I know how broad and silly these type of questions sound so don't feel a need to be gentle, I have thick skin.
Thank you.
George
