Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Newbie Must Read: What new system did you just buy?

Started by Drew ·

  • 243Posts
  • 243Replies

Read-only discussion

Newbie Must Read: What new system did you just buy?

243 posts
  1. I am new to UW photography but inherited a family member's subal + nikon d7200 with a ton of ports, strobes etc. We talked photography endlessly, and she was a birder and nature photographer topside (has a nice 400mm zoom for the nikon above water).

    I always pledged to get certified and try diving but I don't think I can swing the commitment this setup brings to the table, esp with new kids and whatnot- while I'd like to keep it as a memory of her I may flip it and just replace with a camera I can then hand down generationally. IDK anything about UW gear though, so I'm reading up on the subal housing and all the crazy ports etc it comes with.

  2. I went with the Sony A7RV and an Ikelite DL housing w/DS 161 strobes for TTL options. Lenses are Canon  8-15mm fisheye, Sony PZ 16-35mm/24-70mm and 90mm macro.  Looking forward to having all the bits and bobs to complete the setup and get it into the water - even if I have to crawl on my belly in mountain hotsprings!

    QUSE3348.jpg

  3. For my upcoming trip i want to start with UW video. I already had a Insta360 One R camera (with the 4K wide angle mod and the 360° mod) and I'm a big fan of 360° video/photos so getting the underwater housing for both lenses was the natural first step:

     

    insta360-one-r-4k-case.jpg.454c4e3e0bfa25002670df8163a5ead3.jpginsta360-oner-360-case.jpeg.36c16d064d4bd746ce4bbdfb135950ad.jpeg

     

    Then i thought about the light. I bought a clone of the Divevolk dual handle try (which is probably a clone of a nauticam tray).

    Note that on the picture from AliExpress the handles are mounted facing the wrong way...

    dual_grip_handle1.jpg.57c468306683c7bd984c5a65ea5e8086.jpg

    Then i bought ball clamps

    clamp3.jpg.063846029998c9a052c51eccd458717d.jpg

    and two lamps: A used noname wide angle lamp that needs 4x 18650 batteries (can anyone identify it?)

    noname1.jpg.e64b66762343f1b7f29a4913ecf2c584.jpgnoname2.jpg.d10baa055afde6dd8e742b5516bb148d.jpgnoname3.jpg.925a5384153c2f9c1abc6b526e3cdb53.jpg

    and a small Wurkkos DL07 fill light.

    wurkkos07.jpg.16c997dd473ab609401fd3501a2a86fe.jpg

    I noticed that the negative buoyancy of my setup was around 820g so i bought a 10-inch 80mm diameter float arm (-872g buoyancy) to be mounted horizontally.

    float-arm-10id80.jpg.91ee3703e026954d75299fcb391b3e9a.jpg

     

    That's it for now! Hehe...

    Edited by Sublux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.