Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

TTL , Help Please

Started by Shadis ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

TTL , Help Please

10 posts
  1. Hi

     

    I have a Sea & Sea housing for canon 5D Mark II and 2 Ikelite 161 strobes .

    Is there any way to connect them so I can sync them via TTL and not manual ?

     

    Tnx

    Shadi

  2. Hi

     

    I have a Sea & Sea housing for canon 5D Mark II and 2 Ikelite 161 strobes .

    Is there any way to connect them so I can sync them via TTL and not manual ?

     

    Tnx

    Shadi

    Not so simple as it is for Nikon cameras I think. There are/were TTL converters for Canon cameras but they need 6 pin bulkheads. There are external converters still available from S&S but I don't know if they play well with Ike strobes

     

    Bill

  3. Hi

     

    I have a Sea & Sea housing for canon 5D Mark II and 2 Ikelite 161 strobes .

    Is there any way to connect them so I can sync them via TTL and not manual ?

     

    Tnx

    Shadi

     

    If the Sea&Sea bulkheads for the sync cords are either "Nikon" or "Ikelite" format, you can use Ikelite's TTL converter. I use one on my Aquatica to DS-125 with Nikon bulkheads.

     

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  4. If the Sea&Sea bulkheads for the sync cords are either "Nikon" or "Ikelite" format, you can use Ikelite's TTL converter. I use one on my Aquatica to DS-125 with Nikon bulkheads.

     

    JP

    On a Canon? I thought they needed all 6 pins for TTL. Good to know

     

    Bill

  5. On a Canon? I thought they needed all 6 pins for TTL. Good to know

     

    Bill

     

    Oops. Can't speak to a Canon - -I did not know they needed all 6 pins. Shutting up now. :)

     

    However, a quick search of Wetpixel came up with this thread -- somebody here apparently had a custom-made TTL converter for Canon from Ikelite at one time:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35344

     

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  6. There are TTL converters for canon . Sea & Sea has them and so does Ikelite .

     

    The problem is that I have a Sea&Sea housing with Ikelite strobes and according to the web sites of each company the converters only work if the housing and the strobes are from the same company :

     

    Sea & Sea housing with Sea & Sea strobes

    Ikelite housing with Ikelite Strobes

     

    I posted this message to check if anyone tried mixed brands , it could be that they do work together and the only reason that the above companies don't admit it is a marketing strategy

  7. There are TTL converters for canon . Sea & Sea has them and so does Ikelite .

     

    The problem is that I have a Sea&Sea housing with Ikelite strobes and according to the web sites of each company the converters only work if the housing and the strobes are from the same company :

     

    Sea & Sea housing with Sea & Sea strobes

    Ikelite housing with Ikelite Strobes

     

    I posted this message to check if anyone tried mixed brands , it could be that they do work together and the only reason that the above companies don't admit it is a marketing strategy

     

    I am not a Canon shooter, but I do have mixed brands. Nikon camera, Aquatica Housing, Ikelite strobes and they do have an adapter for TTL for my setup.

     

    In the link I referenced above the poster says he had a "custom" converter from Ikelite for his Canon. This would suggest they could make you a custom converter for your Ike/S&S combo, but I'm making a big assumption there. I would just contact them and ask:

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/contact.html

     

    They've been pretty quick (within a day) getting back with me on questions in the past.

     

    Good luck,

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  8. There are TTL converters for canon . Sea & Sea has them and so does Ikelite .

     

    The problem is that I have a Sea&Sea housing with Ikelite strobes and according to the web sites of each company the converters only work if the housing and the strobes are from the same company :

     

    Sea & Sea housing with Sea & Sea strobes

    Ikelite housing with Ikelite Strobes

     

    I posted this message to check if anyone tried mixed brands , it could be that they do work together and the only reason that the above companies don't admit it is a marketing strategy

    I have a Heinrichs external TTL converter for Canon. If you have a 5 pin Nikonos to Ikelite cable, I am pretty sure (90%) that this converter will work with the 160 strobe. The problem as I stated before is that the housing needs to have a 6 pin bulkhead to get the camera signals to the converter. I could test this for you (I have a housing that has a 6 pin bulkhead) but I would need the proper cable. I think I can get hold of a 160 strobe.

     

    Bill

  9. I have a Heinrichs external TTL converter for Canon. If you have a 5 pin Nikonos to Ikelite cable, I am pretty sure (90%) that this converter will work with the 160 strobe. The problem as I stated before is that the housing needs to have a 6 pin bulkhead to get the camera signals to the converter. I could test this for you (I have a housing that has a 6 pin bulkhead) but I would need the proper cable. I think I can get hold of a 160 strobe.

     

    Bill

     

    Tnx alot , that would be great

  10. Tnx alot , that would be great

     

    Definitely curious as to the outcome of these tests, as I find myself in a similar situation (Canon 50D/custom Sexton housing for deep monitoring waterwork, Ikelite 50/51 substrobes). I was hoping to modify the housing to accept hotshoe-to-bulkhead connectivity with the Ikelite substrobes; however, Ikelite does not sell eTTL2 circuitry outside of their 50D-specific housings.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.