Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

So ..what to do now ??

Started by tunc ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

So ..what to do now ??

36 posts
  1. For video people I think Nikon might catch up some if not all of Canons advantages. I think there is a chance because Canon are hesitant to let their SLR cannibalize their camcorder ranges. See my previous post.

     

    Well, you can keep dreaming. :)

     

    The only thing they can do is output a clean 1080p signal from the HDMI port, something Canon won't/can't do because of an imposed limitation of. However, I seriously doubt they can manage uncompressed 1080p into even XQD cards. Uncompressed 1080p, even 8 bit @ 29.97 is about 120MB/s. More importantly, the heat from that would be pretty scalding for a DSLR body.

    Edited by Drew
  2. Nikon Rumors seems pretty certain again today about their specs. Is there any other way to interpret the term uncompressed? Either way, that will be a nice camera for my pool stuff. Except I'm going to have to spend days getting the water clean.

  3. Maybe uncompressed, but with a very short time limit and delayed saving? An 8GB buffer or the like would be pretty feasible wouldnt it?

     

    Otara

  4. Well, you can keep dreaming. :)

     

    The only thing they can do is output a clean 1080p signal from the HDMI port, something Canon won't/can't do because of an imposed limitation of. However, I seriously doubt they can manage uncompressed 1080p into even XQD cards. Uncompressed 1080p, even 8 bit @ 29.97 is about 120MB/s. More importantly, the heat from that would be pretty scalding for a DSLR body.

     

    Well, as long as those specs aren't public, we can keep dreaming! ;-)

    About 10 years ago we were talking about the new digital cameras and how none ever thought we would have a 24MP camera... In time it's astounding how many dreams do come true! ;-)

     

    My comment was about transferring clean 1080P to a secondary device. SSD? Recorder etc. Its clumsy for underwater but my comment was more general.

    The other part of the argument (or dream) is more related to autofocus filming. Might we have an improvement here. I might not be up to speed on Canons camera offerings, but they didn't have this feature last I looked. (and yes we can also discuss how useless/full this is at present).

     

    Regarding XQD heat issues, do you know something we should know? The claim thus far is for 125MB/s and up write speeds.

     

    Cheers,

    Espen.

  5. Well, as long as those specs aren't public, we can keep dreaming! ;-)

    About 10 years ago we were talking about the new digital cameras and how none ever thought we would have a 24MP camera... In time it's astounding how many dreams do come true! ;-)

     

    My comment was about transferring clean 1080P to a secondary device. SSD? Recorder etc. Its clumsy for underwater but my comment was more general.

    The other part of the argument (or dream) is more related to autofocus filming. Might we have an improvement here. I might not be up to speed on Canons camera offerings, but they didn't have this feature last I looked. (and yes we can also discuss how useless/full this is at present).

     

    Regarding XQD heat issues, do you know something we should know? The claim thus far is for 125MB/s and up write speeds.

     

    Cheers,

    Espen.

    If the uncompressed video is via the HDMI output, does that not imply that any secondary device is off camera anyway.

  6. Maybe uncompressed, but with a very short time limit and delayed saving? An 8GB buffer or the like would be pretty feasible wouldnt it?

     

    Otara

    Unlikely, it'd be pretty expensive.

     

    Well, as long as those specs aren't public, we can keep dreaming! ;-)

    About 10 years ago we were talking about the new digital cameras and how none ever thought we would have a 24MP camera... In time it's astounding how many dreams do come true! ;-)

    Actually once the 1Ds came out, the discussion was about resolution doubling every 3-5 years. Remember we were supposed to be in the 30+ range now. We're falling behind! :)

     

    My comment was about transferring clean 1080P to a secondary device. SSD? Recorder etc. Its clumsy for underwater but my comment was more general.

    The other part of the argument (or dream) is more related to autofocus filming. Might we have an improvement here. I might not be up to speed on Canons camera offerings, but they didn't have this feature last I looked. (and yes we can also discuss how useless/full this is at present).

    Sure, they could do that. But with no full manual control, it'd be useless. 3 gens down and they still haven't put that in?

     

    As for AF in video is something I think that Canon won't put into their cameras because it's unreliable. I certainly don't use it and neither do most people using these cameras in video mode. Especially with the breathing in lenses, it gets pretty ugly. Mirror flip AF using the phase array seems the best of both worlds, but it leaves out the people who can't focus pull :lol:

     

     

    Regarding XQD heat issues, do you know something we should know? The claim thus far is for 125MB/s and up write speeds.

     

    The heat comes from processing and compression. Same for any other recording device. That's why all the cameras overheat at some point. And the heat can affect the image output with sensor noise. Like the fictitious D4, XQD may promise super speed but CF in UDMA 7 can't sustain at max speed and video is about sustained data rates. Plus it'll only be announced in Feb.

     

    Jeff, uncompressed means there's no compression except for the processing to feed out the 16x9 image, along with whitebalance, color settings etc are already set. It's not uncompressed RAW as in what something like the Ikonoskop outputs. Red and Arri are compressed somewhat.

  7. Sure, they could do that. But with no full manual control, it'd be useless. 3 gens down and they still haven't put that in?

     

    Of course all just speculation, but do you know anything about this? Apparently two front buttons will be assignable to aperture control. Nothing about ISO

  8. As a life time Nikon user, I've never felt this much let down as I did for the last couple of years. We've been watching Canon pop incredible cameras one by one in the prosumer category, while we are eagerly waiting for Nikon to, at least give us a hint, what they have in the kitchen for us. And our most trustworthy source about what could be going on there is Nikonrumors ???

    I must say I was so jealous of the 5D MarkII and now the Cinema SLR series are driving me crazy ....but I am in love with my Nikons... Is there anybody out there who thinks Nikon will present a match to these newer generation cameras or shall we slowly consider the switch over ? :)

     

    Regards,

    Tunc Yavuzdogan

     

    I remembered an interview article with David Doubilet in Diver Magazine when I saw your post and found it online. Amongst many other cameras he also still uses a D2X...

     

    http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/gear_f...d_doubilet.html

    Edited by johnjvv
  9. I used a D2x until my last trip, when I switched to D7000. I would never go back. I missed plenty of shots with the D2x because of its crappy noise performance. No such issues with the D7000. I can easily go to ISO800 and not worry.

  10. NR now says D4 may ship end of Jan 2012.

    Started thinking about the hassle of traveling with a large housing, but then I though with ISO 102,000 who needs strobes?

  11. NR now says D4 may ship end of Jan 2012.

    Started thinking about the hassle of traveling with a large housing, but then I though with ISO 102,000 who needs strobes?

     

    ...or can afford them after buying such a beast.. ;-)

  12. Of course all just speculation, but do you know anything about this? Apparently two front buttons will be assignable to aperture control. Nothing about ISO

     

    Well, if I know, like others here, I couldn't say. But if Nikon had half a brain, they'd make sure it's in.

  13. Very interesting! I'm a lifetime Canon user and feel the same way about Canon. Total let down. I'm actually in the process of selling my entire Canon setup and switching to Nikon.

     

    As a life time Nikon user, I've never felt this much let down as I did for the last couple of years. We've been watching Canon pop incredible cameras one by one in the prosumer category, while we are eagerly waiting for Nikon to, at least give us a hint, what they have in the kitchen for us. And our most trustworthy source about what could be going on there is Nikonrumors ???

    I must say I was so jealous of the 5D MarkII and now the Cinema SLR series are driving me crazy ....but I am in love with my Nikons... Is there anybody out there who thinks Nikon will present a match to these newer generation cameras or shall we slowly consider the switch over ? :)

     

    Regards,

    Tunc Yavuzdogan

  14. And this is why Ive been a Nikon user ever since the Nikonos :) Because it doesnt matter.

  15. Yeah but that's like eating bread one way for your whole life! :)

  16. Wooow ,was away for diving for 3 days , amazing opinions and knowledge did accumulate here ! Thanks everybody for the reply's.

     

    I am also an enthusiast film maker , i really have no problems with the photography options my Nikon camera provides me , but i would really appreciate it ,to switch to Video during a dive ,with those amazing lenses ,and not have a footage looking like taken on a mobile phone as an end-product !

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.