Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D4

Started by FLAFROG ·

  • 37Posts
  • 37Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D4

37 posts
  1. It's a tank! I need a D700 sized camera! Come on Nikon! :)

  2. The D800 will be out soon. It was actually circulated to some Nikon pros before the D4 demos did the rounds last month. It will be announced next month. Specs are 36MP FX, 16MP DX - I understand.

     

    Alex

  3. Just reading the press release on the front page. Nothing to unexpected after all the Nikon leaks of late. Lets hope it the housings are more water tight.

     

    Biggest surprise is the late Feb release. I was expecting it to be out in late January.

     

    Alex

  4. Does look sweet, and almost $1000 less suggested retail price over Canon's D1x.

    For video the following should make Drew happy (maybe) 'The Nikon D4 allows shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity to be changed during recording, as required to adapt to changes in ambient lighting or yield the desired cinematic effect. There's also full-time contrast detection autofocus capability, operating either in face detection, wide area, normal, or subject tracking modes, as well as the ability to focus manually.'

    Also would like to understand the implications of the uncompressed video output: 'Even more unusually, it's possible to have the live feed piped to the D4's HDMI port as an uncompressed full HD signal, allowing it to be recorded using an external device and/or routed to an external monitor'

    Edited by loftus
  5. Also would like to understand the implications of the uncompressed video output: 'Even more unusually, it's possible to have the live feed piped to the D4's HDMI port as an uncompressed full HD signal, allowing it to be recorded using an external device and/or routed to an external monitor'

     

    It means that you can pipe the HDMI output to an external device like the Atomos Ninja and record in Pro Res 4.22 while monitoring whats going on.

    I'm sure there are many other devices that will be utilised but I'm most excited about the NINJA.

     

    Our friends at Aquatica ( Amphibico ) are developing a housing for both so its an exciting time for those shooters who wish to invest some sheckles in a great solution.

    Edited by pmooney
  6. Not sure about the 6000USD and 6000€ being accurate.

     

    Exchange rate today is 1 Euro = $1.27 U.S. 6,000€ = 7,672.81USD

     

    Nikon would be taking close to a $1700.00 haircut for every D4 they sold in the U.S. as opposed to selling it in the E.U.

     

    Looking over the numbers presented here in Europe, that is in fact the case! You do get a 1700USD, I'm guessing tax cut in the US.

     

    E.

  7. It means that you can pipe the HDMI output to an external device like the Atomos Ninja and record in Pro Res 4.22 while monitoring whats going on.

    I'm sure there are many other devices that will be utilised but I'm most excited about the NINJA.

     

    Our friends at Aquatica ( Amphibico ) are developing a housing for both so its an exciting time for those shooters who wish to invest some sheckles in a great solution.

     

    This caught my eye also, I'm not sure how large that quality difference will be, but its going to be a very interesting time. My D4 is scheduled to arrive 17th february.

     

    E.

  8. This caught my eye also, I'm not sure how large that quality difference will be, but its going to be a very interesting time. My D4 is scheduled to arrive 17th february.

     

    Nice! The email from Nikon UK says on sale 16th February.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  9. Nice! The email from Nikon UK says on sale 16th February.

     

    Alex

     

    What kind of favoritism is this..? The Brits get it a day before and the yanks at a 1700USD discount... :)

     

    My birthday is 16th of february, Guess it will be one day late this year!

     

    E.

  10. This caught my eye also, I'm not sure how large that quality difference will be, but its going to be a very interesting time. My D4 is scheduled to arrive 17th february.

     

    E.

    Are you getting it for underwater use primarily? I do lust for it, but I think I need to wait on the D800 as a better underwater camera, or at least more compact.

  11. My birthday is 16th of february, Guess it will be one day late this year!

     

    Same as both my parents!

  12. Are you getting it for underwater use primarily? I do lust for it, but I think I need to wait on the D800 as a better underwater camera, or at least more compact.

     

    I do a lot of my photography in low light. I live in a shadow half the year (Norway). Topside I struggle with only a very few hours each day with enough light to do large tele shots (400mm). Most of the action doesn't happen mid day. I have a couple of DX cameras for underwater but I do expect to also use the D4 for certain shoots.

     

    Alex my mom has the 16th too!

     

    Espen.

  13. Does look sweet, and almost $1000 less suggested retail price over Canon's D1x.

    For video the following should make Drew happy (maybe) 'The Nikon D4 allows shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity to be changed during recording, as required to adapt to changes in ambient lighting or yield the desired cinematic effect. There's also full-time contrast detection autofocus capability, operating either in face detection, wide area, normal, or subject tracking modes, as well as the ability to focus manually.'

    Also would like to understand the implications of the uncompressed video output: 'Even more unusually, it's possible to have the live feed piped to the D4's HDMI port as an uncompressed full HD signal, allowing it to be recorded using an external device and/or routed to an external monitor'

     

    The layperson's guide to YCbPr is that chroma has half the sampling resolution of luma. 4:2:2 means there's half the horizontal color resolution (1920/2) but full vertical color resolution (1080). So you'll see a bit less color banding in gradiented colors like blue water going from bright to dark (shallow to deep).

     

    Drew is always happy when manufacturers force each other to up their game. Nikon needs this to be a winner while Canon is fighting within its own divisions. Will have to wait to see the difference in ISO performance between the 2 since resolution is only 2mp apart.

     

    The 1Dx MSRP isn't really official yet so they may yet drop it some more to match. Nor are the specs finalized. Although I'm sure the manufacturing lines are already in production and shipping. Will be interesting.

  14. Which manufacturer do you think will be first with a D4 housing and when. I put my money on Nauticam and release date in May. Or maybe they will continue to only stick to the prosumer line (exept the P 645)...

     

    In that caseI think Sea & Sea will be first.

     

    // Alex

  15. Which manufacturer do you think will be first with a D4 housing and when. I put my money on Nauticam and release date in May. Or maybe they will continue to only stick to the prosumer line (exept the P 645)...

     

    In that caseI think Sea & Sea will be first.

     

    // Alex

     

    Who cares about first, I want the *best* housing, even if I have to wait a little longer :D Up until this one, I've generally thought of the camera body itself as an afterthought in terms of expense, as compared to the housing ports, lenses, lighting, etc. 6K is a little more than an afterthought this time around, especially since I always travel with a backup of the same body, and so I want to make the best use of it with something really solid and ergonomic that's not going to give me problems in the field. I shoot a Subal now and love it. Aquatica has been making some darn good looking housings lately too. Never shot with a SEA&SEA housing but I love my YS-250s.

  16. Who cares about first, I want the *best* housing, even if I have to wait a little longer :D Up until this one, I've generally thought of the camera body itself as an afterthought in terms of expense, as compared to the housing ports, lenses, lighting, etc. 6K is a little more than an afterthought this time around, especially since I always travel with a backup of the same body, and so I want to make the best use of it with something really solid and ergonomic that's not going to give me problems in the field. I shoot a Subal now and love it. Aquatica has been making some darn good looking housings lately too. Never shot with a SEA&SEA housing but I love my YS-250s.

     

    As long as it has AF-on, a switch between Af/Mf, shutter and aperture wheels, ISO button, a preview button and a shutter release I am more than happy. Those are the only functions I really used on my D3/D3s. I have mostly used Sea & Sea and they are great in ergonomics but very limited in depth rating. Have had a lot of trouble already at 45-50 meters depth.

     

    // Alex

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.