For those of us who have had issues with buttons sticking in the middle of dives. I came up with a DYI solution to get them unstuck during the middle of a dive. I have a Ikelite housing for a Canon 5d Mark II. I have tried everything to solve this issue. Rinsing after every dive, pushing the buttons in the rinse tank, putting a small amount of lube and working it into the buttons, and even the yearly service from Ikelite. While all of these help, and some do for quite a while, I always would still end up with some stuck buttons. Generally, this would happen past 40 feet, ruining most of the dive below that. Obviously, the location has something to do with it. Shore diving, or diving in less than ideal viz contributes to the problem.
I tried to come up with the easiest, cheapest, and less hassle while diving solution to remedy the situation. I determined, I needed a way to pull the button out gently. Here is what I came up with:
I purchased a Stainless Steel Toenail clipper, and then with a drill press, drilled a hole straight down into the cutting area of the clipper. I made the hole larger than the buttons. Then I purchased some rubber dip. I then did several coats of the dip on the tip off the clipper. This would make it so it could handle the salt water, and wouldn't damage the buttons on the housing. See pictures in post below:
All in all it was less than $20, and can easily fit in a pocket, and should stand up to salt water. While this is no replacement for regular care of your housing like rinsing, yearly service etc. It can save a dive for you.
The only thing I am worried about is the rubber long term use. I am not sure how this will hold up. Only time will tell.
As I searched Wetpixel, it didn't seem that anyone else has posted something like this. I am curious if others have done similar things. Do others have the same issues I have? Is it just with Ikelite? Or does it happen to other housings? Let me know your thoughts on this.
Dustin



