Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

comparing housings for d7000

Started by Scotttyd ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

comparing housings for d7000

5 posts
  1. I am familiar with Ikelite housings - I have used them on my two previous P&S set ups. I have a nikon d7000 that I want to house. I know with Ikelite my inon z240 strobes will not be able to do TTYL. As far as the other options - I know we are talking about double the price. I am not really wanting to start a debate on quality of those over ikelite - I know the pros and cons of the aluminum housings. My questions is two fold.

     

    1. How much advantageous is the TTYL vs manually setting the strobe? I know I usually have to take a couple test shots to get my strobe settings right, and then, especially with the macro stuff, often do a lot of adjusting under water using the histogram.

     

    2. What other housing (Aquatica, etc) are out there that would be capable of ttyl with this set up, and rough price points (ie. which ones are $$$$ vs $$$).

     

    Thanks y'all (I am not really southern but it has worn off on me)

     

    cheers

  2. 1. How much advantageous is the TTYL vs manually setting the strobe? I know I usually have to take a couple test shots to get my strobe settings right, and then, especially with the macro stuff, often do a lot of adjusting under water using the histogram.

    Main Advantage is that your chances of getting a good exposure with a grab shot is higher with TTL exposure. So if you're going for an elusive, fast moving critter and get 1 shot, you might get a better exposure with TTL, but if you know your system well and are have pre-set the camera and strobes to a set value that you know generally gives good results then you can likely fix slight over/under exposure in post.

     

    2. What other housing (Aquatica, etc) are out there that would be capable of ttyl with this set up, and rough price points (ie. which ones are $$$$ vs $$$).

     

    Any housing that has fiber-optic bulkheads will allow sTTL operation with the Inon Z240 strobe. As for pricing, retail prices are available from your dealer or the manufacturer's website.

     

    Stu

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.