We hope to add to it as more housings become available. The Sea & Sea MDX-7000 is on it's way to us as I write....
Enjoy!
Adam
Great stuff Adam. Lots of info.
For me, the great thing about hard wired strobes, is then you can use the cycle time of the underwater strobes, which are often very fast, compared to waiting for the cycle time of the on camera strobe...
What is the weight of the aquatica housing? I think that got missed.
The weight of the AD7000 is there:
2.7kg/6lbs!
I agree with the electronic vs Fiber optic flash. For macro/super macro, I think fiber is great. For anything more dynamic, the jury is still out for me.
Glad you liked the review
Adam
Thank you for the great review. It looks like lots of effort went into it!
Is the timing for completing other D7000 reviews known at this point?
Hi,
Fed-Ex has announced that the Sea & Sea MDX7000 will arrive tomorrow! Typical.
Expect an updated review soon!
Adam
I really appreciate the hard work you have done for us. Choosing a housing when you live in Colorado is not the easiest project. Thanks for the tips.
Now, decisions, decisions
Love the review so much. Just wonder where can I download this review so i still can read it when i in travel specially when no internet conectiivity
Another big thanks for your time with this review!
I suggest when the Sea & Sea and Subal reviews are completed, a comparision chart listing major features and specifications would be informative.
Hi all,
Just a post to let you all know that the Wetpixel review of the Sea & Sea MDX-D7000 has now been posted. I have added to the other reviews, so that they can be read as comparisons.
The full review of all housings is here and the specific MDX-D7000 one here
I have been informed that a Hugyfot housing is on its way. Subal are currently on factory shut down and hence cannot supply before the first week of August.
I will be rounding up the article with a comparison/conclusion once I have finished reviewing all of them.
Enjoy the review!
Adam
Thanks for the review, Adam. I know I will house my D7000 at some point, it is just a matter of when. My D300 works fine but I would like to try video underwater.
I have been informed that a Hugyfot housing is on its way. Subal are currently on factory shut down and hence cannot supply before the first week of August.
Well done Adam and thanks for all your hard work. An important factor in any housing purchase is when it is available and the responsiveness of the manufacturer. The late or non-arrival of certain brands is just as useful information as opinion on ergonomics!
Alex
Dear Adam,
thanks for your article.
I would like to share one small but big issue: the built-in flash "leaks" when using wide-angle lenses (tokina 10-17mm), and a lenses reflection appears in every single uw picture.
I solved this problem putting a small peace of paper wrapped with a black tape just under the built-in flash. Event though it was really easy-solved, I lost two dives because of it:
In my opinion, it is a small detail left behind, Sea&Sea should take really good care of it.
Best regards,
Marcelo Prim.
Hi all,
Just a post to let you all know that the Wetpixel review of the Sea & Sea MDX-D7000 has now been posted. I have added to the other reviews, so that they can be read as comparisons.
The full review of all housings is here and the specific MDX-D7000 one here
I have been informed that a Hugyfot housing is on its way. Subal are currently on factory shut down and hence cannot supply before the first week of August.
I will be rounding up the article with a comparison/conclusion once I have finished reviewing all of them.
Enjoy the review!
Adam
I agree with the electronic vs Fiber optic flash. For macro/super macro, I think fiber is great. For anything more dynamic, the jury is still out for me.
Hi Adam,
I don't suppose you got a chance to try the D7000 with a Sea & Sea TTL Converter did you?
The Sea & Sea website indicates that it isn't compatible. Ideally an option of TTL via electric synch cords rather than just optical would be good.
Hi,
Sorry no I haven't used the TTL converter.
I also gather that it is not compatible. Sea & Sea put out a notice to that effect earlier this year.
I have been shooting the D7000 with manual electric control on a Nuaticam housing for some time, and find that the resulst are vey good. Maybe adding the optional electric port for wide angle, and use the fibre optic for macro TTL may be an effective compromise?
All the best
Adam
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm thinking of trying to modify and older housing to fit a D7000 but would only have an electrical connection as there is not enough room for a flash popup. So to get TTL, I'd have to use the TTL converter which I was hoping would work... May have to rethink this.
Also confirming D 7000 not compatable with S & S TTL converter.
Also confirming D 7000 not compatable with S & S TTL converter.
HW converter works fine with the D7000 in the Aquatica housing. You only have to wire it correctly. But I will change to optical anyway, just waiting for the replacement optical bulkheads.
Best regards,
Wolfram
Is that with the Sea&Sea TTL Converter or does Aquatica have their own one?
Is that with the Sea&Sea TTL Converter or does Aquatica have their own one?
Its made by HeinrichWeikamp. They don't sell it directly any more so you have to look for a dealer like mike-dive.de.