Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic Lumix GX1 vs. Sony nex-7

Started by robovet ·

  • 52Posts
  • 52Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic Lumix GX1 vs. Sony nex-7

52 posts
  1. Any opinions out there on this choice ? I e-mailed Nauticam and they said a housing for the GX1 will be coming "soon". The panasonic has a nice 45mm macro and the 7-14 WA (14-28 with crop factor). Does the sensor size, viewfinder on the housing, and 3 dial controls of the nex 7 compensate for the weakness in the lens department ?

     

    Thanks for any thoughts--

     

    marc

     

    www.robovet.net

  2. Go the nEX7 the lenses will come.... Great camera. Best ILC

  3. I bought a GX1 cues the Sony cameras are as ugly as son. Also the lenses are too large. If I wanted a setup that big I'll use my SLR.

     

    The G1X is a very good camera and very compact. I just hope there will be several housing choices.

  4. Edward and Jacqueline Lai have just left for the Philippines to test drive both the NEX7 and the GX1 cameras. They'll be back in a few days with some test shots and footage, I'll ask them to link to this thread when they are back.

  5. Edward and Jacqueline Lai have just left for the Philippines to test drive both the NEX7 and the GX1 cameras. They'll be back in a few days with some test shots and footage, I'll ask them to link to this thread when they are back.

     

    Thanks Alex !!

  6. I'm looking into NEX7 and GX1 too, its all depends on which one is easier to change setting underwater, NEX7 seems to be the best for this! I was almost get the V1, but the UI is so trouble to use!

  7. What are you looking for? The nex7 is not worth the price, compared to the nikon d7000. The AF on the DSLRs is still way better, in real use.

     

    If low size and weight is the size, then the micro 4/3 is the way to go, plus the lenses are here now. Sony announced the future E mount lens roadmap, and I was completely underwhelmed. No useful macro.

     

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ee_uploads...t-roadmap-l.jpg

     

    I'm waiting for the olympus em5, same sensor as the gx1, and a great EVF, and really good controls all built in. Much better colors than the panasonic. And an inexpensive housing by oly.

  8. The oly em5 has also got my attention. My canon D20 is getting long in the tooth and although I had been looking towards a next generation 7D or even 5D, size and cost has me tempted by the newer generation ILC, all of which probably beat my current setup in most departments and add video. Sony has a lot of things to drool about but not if macro is a major interest. The GX1 is a strong contender but the oly em5 somehow tickled my fancy more. Together with the announced 60mm F2.8 oly macro lens, the 12-50mm zoom and one wider angle prime it would make a very sweet package. I have a few more months to follow the forum and check out if the real cameras lives up to the spec-sheet promises or if I stay with the DSLR and my current lenses.

     

    Bart

  9. Nex 7 great sensor, great viewfinder, images, 1080 video. Really not fair to compare the 2, totally different price points

  10. Read the EM5 review today, looks pretty good!!

    anyway, compact is my first concern!

  11. Which camera delivers the kind of image quality that will meet your needs the most? Download the full-size images from dpreview and you'll notice the differences without pixel peeping.

     

    This was taken on a dive trip, which camera you'll wish you have for night scenes like this?

     

    pp3.jpg

     

    Video:

     

    NEX-7 has 1080 60p = 60 1920 X 1080 progressive frames. Shoot panning shots all you want to keep up with any fast-moving subjects - fish, kids - and all videos will come out silky smooth at Full-HD resolution.

     

    GX1 has 1080 60i = 60 1920 X 540 interlaced fields. The video will be smooth, but the vertical resolution is cut in half with interlace combing artifacts in the video frames.

     

    30p, 25p, and 24p: must learn to use slower shutter speeds especially under bright sunlight to introduce enough motion blur in the videos, otherwise the panning shots and fast-moving subjects will appear choppy. Slow shutter speed + small aperture = sensor dusts will likely show up in the videos so make sure the sensor is kept very clean.

    25p and 24p are especially hard for the average consumers to deal with, which is why many people get so dissatisfied with the choppy 25 & 24p home videos they go back to camcorders that shoot 60/50p (AVCHD 2) or 60/50i (interlaced).

     

    Are the differences in GX1 lens selection and sizes worth giving up NEX-7 superior image quality and video, knowing Sony will introduce 4 new lenses in 2012 and 4 more in 2013 in addition to the 9 already available?

  12. For me, any of them have more than adequate image quality.

     

    Most TVs only show 1080 60i. They show 60p as slow mo.

     

    For me, the huge difference in price and lens selection, which is not going away according to the lens map, is all slanted toward m43.

     

    YMMV :D

  13. My past experience has been with a canon 5D ikelite housing and a pair of DS125's. My decision to switch to the sonyNex7 ,oly OM D or panasonic GX1 is primarily based on the size/weight/portability advantages. The ergonomics of the housing/camera and ability to quickly adjust iso;aperture;shutterspeed underwater, as well as achieving sharp focus with the viewfinder/LCD are more important than slicing hairs on image quality(to me). I also want to consider the lens/port choices. I was told that using a wet diopter with the Nex 7 rig one could do WA and macro on the same dive. The other thing that intrigued me about the sony was the "peaking" feature when manually focusing-- would that be useful for Macro ? I assume that WA video UW would work best using a small aperture and manual focus locked onto the hyperfocal distance, however I'd like to know which of these cameras has the best autofocus system during video. So in summary the reason I started this thread was to get opinions on which system would be smoothest to use and capture the fleeting moment under changing light. It would sure be nice to try these things out before you pluck down all the bucks-- I'm glad i had a few dates before I got married---

  14. .... the other thing that intrigued me about the sony was the "peaking" feature when manually focusing-- would that be useful for Macro ?

     

    Focus Peaking highlights all of the in-focus edges (objects) in real time so that users can easily verify and fine tune focus. For macro shots, I simply autofocus first, hold focus, and then move the camera in and out slowly and when the highlights peak at the right spot on the subject, I take the shot. This feature allows divers without prescription masks to focus as long as they can see the "peaking" highlights.

     

    I'm still trying to find out if there's a port system that will allow me to use the manual focus ring on the 16mm pancake to activate the Manual Focus Assist feature to enlarge the screen image to 460% during MF. If not then the "macro" technique I described above will be the one I use underwater.

     

    This is how to enable Focus Peaking on the NEX-5N so 7 should be similar: set "AF/MF Select" inside "Camera" menu to MF or DMF (Dynamic Manual Focus = AF+MF). Also make sure "Peaking Level" and "Manual Focus Assist" inside "Setup" menus are both ON.

  15. Focus Peaking highlights all of the in-focus edges (objects) in real time so that users can easily verify and fine tune focus. For macro shots, I simply autofocus first, hold focus, and then move the camera in and out slowly and when the highlights peak at the right spot on the subject, I take the shot. This feature allows divers without prescription masks to focus as long as they can see the "peaking" highlights.

     

    I'm still trying to find out if there's a port system that will allow me to use the manual focus ring on the 16mm pancake to activate the Manual Focus Assist feature to enlarge the screen image to 460% during MF. If not then the "macro" technique I described above will be the one I use underwater.

     

    This is how to enable Focus Peaking on the NEX-5N so 7 should be similar: set "AF/MF Select" inside "Camera" menu to MF or DMF (Dynamic Manual Focus = AF+MF). Also make sure "Peaking Level" and "Manual Focus Assist" inside "Setup" menus are both ON.

     

     

    Perfect--

     

    That will be great for me -- I do have a prescription mask but I still struggle sometimes. I think the 15 degree tilt of the LCD screen within the Nauticam housing will be helpful as well,

     

    Thanks--

  16. I have a simple question. How does the macro compare to an AF-105-VR on a Nikon cropped sensor camera like the D-300? Generally I use autofocus, spot focus, and focus priority for shutter release so whatever is in the rectangle is the sharpest. In addition I can get 2.25:1 super macro with a wet lens (Sub See +10). How do these puppies compare?

     

    Tom

     

    PS: One shot is full frame (cropped only on one axis). One is a Photoshop crop of the same image. (f/32 1/200)

    post-1589-1329595416.jpg

    post-1589-1329595442.jpg

  17. Video:

     

    NEX-7 has 1080 60p = 60 1920 X 1080 progressive frames. Shoot panning shots all you want to keep up with any fast-moving subjects - fish, kids - and all videos will come out silky smooth at Full-HD resolution.

     

    GX1 has 1080 60i = 60 1920 X 540 interlaced fields. The video will be smooth, but the vertical resolution is cut in half with interlace combing artifacts in the video frames.

     

    Sorry, I have a correction to make. GH2, came out in 2010, has 60p sensor output for video so I mistakenly assumed GX1, G3, and GF3 announced in 2011 had similar or better video capabilities! Specs on Panasonic Website show GX1, G3, and GF3 sensor output for video all dropped to 30p!

     

    So how do these cameras record 1080 60i or 720 60p when their sensors only send out 30 video frames per second? Maybe the owners of these cameras can let us know if 720 60p really consists of 60 unique video frames per second or just 30 frames with each frame recorded twice.

     

    --------------------------------------------

     

    Update:

     

    Here are links to Imaging Resources video samples: NEX-7 1080 60p and G3 720 60p (could not find GX1 720 60p samples). See for yourself if this is 720 60p as advertised!

    Edited by A.Y.
  18. With regard to the night scene shot above.

    I would think the GX1 might do a better job at it with the excellent panasonic 20/f1.7 lense.

    It's not all about the sensor.

     

    If there was a NEX sensor with a m4/3 lense mount, we'd have a definite winner.

    Edited by chris_l
  19. Yeah, but the m43 lenses do not have a large enough illumination circle, to cover an apsc sensor. So it would take a telephoto adapter to spread out the light, which would hurt the image quality.

  20. Yeah, but the m43 lenses do not have a large enough illumination circle, to cover an apsc sensor. So it would take a telephoto adapter to spread out the light, which would hurt the image quality.

     

    It was a little bit of a joke.

    Yes, physics play a role.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.