Hi All,
My D800 arrived today. I checked to see if it would fit into my Seacam D700 housing. After I removed a few of the controls from one of my D700 housings, the D800 camera did fit into the housing. Some of remaining controls did not work, or did not work well, and would also need to be modified. The result of my measurements and trial fit is I think that with control modifications, some simple & some quite intricate, the D800 could be made to fit and work reasonably well in the Seacam D700 housing.
I would guesstimate that if 10-12 Seacam owners wanted to do this, a "self-install modification kit" could be produced in the price range of about $1500. Expensive, yes, but considerably less expensive than a completely new Seacam housing that would probably cost in the $5000 ball park. The modified housing might have one or two controls less than a new Seacam housing, particularly for video. But it might also have one or two that the as yet non-existing D800 might not have. And the savings would be considerable.
Any interest?
Fred