Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Help with Housing a Hassy

Started by JKrumsick ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with Housing a Hassy

9 posts
  1. So I am in the process of buying a Hassleblad with the 38 biogon lens. I want to house it and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to where I might find such a housing.

     

    I found this Ikelight on ebay - here.

     

    It is super cheap, but I asked the seller and he says that this is meant only for the 80mm lens. Why Ikelight would even design a housing for an 80mm lens (what, 40mm equivalent on a 35mm camera?) is beyond me.

     

    I also see that Gates made a housing for this (one was sold at this link on WetPixel)

     

    This may have to be in the "Want To Buy Section" but I was also wondering what luck people have with connecting strobes to this housing (totally understandable if TTL is not available :lol: ).

     

    If anyone has one of these gates for sale or has experience with one please let me know!

     

    Thanks!

  2. I did a bit of searching online a few days ago but waited

    until today to reply to your post since nobody else had.

    I found very little info unfortunately.

    AB Sea Photo in LA used to be a good source for esoteric MF

    housings/info. http://www.absea.net/ Alan Broder is a wealth of

    info. My personal info on this shop is far from current.

    Of course Ernie Brooks http://erniebrooksea.com/ used just a few

    settings and one type of film shooting his beautiful B&W Hassy UW

    images.

    I tend to think going this route is akin to cloning dinosaurs at this

    point but it took me a bit to switch to digital and once I did I have not

    looked back.

    Good luck!

  3. Hi Cary,

    Thank you for the reply. I have done a lot of searching and little finding. There is a bit on this forum but not much. I also found a chap from the UK that has a housing that he is willing to sell. Here is his site:

     

    http://www.stuartchorley.com/

     

    I know it sounds odd (not to mention expensive and totally inconvenient) to go the film route like this.... but it's more a personal satisfaction with this.

     

    I have the 7D housing and while I still have not explored the limits of its potential... I don't care about it anymore. For nature photography, digital is the only answer. But for fine art photography, film is the only answer.

  4. So I am in the process of buying a Hassleblad with the 38 biogon lens. I want to house it and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to where I might find such a housing.

     

     

    I also see that Gates made a housing for this (one was sold at this link on WetPixel)

     

    This may have to be in the "Want To Buy Section" but I was also wondering what luck people have with connecting strobes to this housing (totally understandable if TTL is not available :P ).

     

    If anyone has one of these gates for sale or has experience with one please let me know!

     

    Thanks!

     

    I have an H38 housing. I have a SWC/M with a CF lens to go with it. The housing will also accept the 903 model. There are two different camera trays in order to accommodate these two Superwide models.

     

    A number of Superwide models were made over about 1/2 a century. The earliest ones were called Supreme Wide Angle. There were housings made in the 60's and 70's for the SWC C lens model. The 70's model was blue in color with yellow handles. This housing will NOT fit a SWC/M with C lens. I am not sure if any housing was made to fit this model. So you must be very specific as to which Hasselblad Superwide you have.

     

    The H38 has two Nikonos bulkheads. There is a standard PC cord on the inside - only basic synch, the other wires in the fitting are not used so you can use various types of Nikonos cables. TTL flash is not available with any Superwide. If you want TTL ambient light metering you would have to attach a metered prism finder onto the ground glass focusing back (not for UW use). The H38 came with a diopter lens for the 8" dome port.

  5. But for fine art photography, film is the only answer.

    :P

  6. :P

     

    Laugh all you want but it's the way I feel. There is a difference between shooting digital and shooting film.

  7. Laugh all you want but it's the way I feel. There is a difference between shooting digital and shooting film.

     

    No compelling need to buy a new camera every few years is certainly a difference.

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  8. It is a difference. Another difference is the challenge that different cameras present.

     

    Another difference is chemicals versus electronics.

     

    One of the fundamental elements of photography that Roland Barthes succinctly pointed out is that photographs cannot lie. What you photographed... occurred. Now, of course you can alter the composition, the lighting, contrast etc (with film)... But there was an agreement between viewer and photographer that any lying was only in terms of style... not in terms of content.

     

    I feel that with digital photography and photoshop this trust has been broken.

     

    I kind of went off on a philosophical limb here... but I like this kind of stuff :-).

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.