I have a 5d mark ii with an aquatica housing. The set button (the one to start recording) hasn't worked since the day I got it. Sometimes it will work on the surface, but sometimes it won't. Underwater it doesn't want to press at all. Yesterday I managed to get it to work by shaking the housing and it turned on without pressing the button. It wouldn't turn off via the button after that, but it actually recorded for a second. So that's a plus I guess.
I would like to know if anyone else has had trouble with alignment before and knows how to deal with it. I originally thought it might have been a pinched o-ring, but sometimes the set button doesn't feel like it depresses, as in a restriction. Sometimes it goes in, but doesn't activate the button.
Any suggestions would be very helpful. except from viz art. Your suggestion is not welcome!
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your new housing. If you are unwilling/unable to send the unità in to be evaluated, then you'll have to trouble shoot the misalignmemt problem on your own. Note doing any mods/fixes to your housing may void your warranty or worse cause it to flood!!
Seems your issue may not be alignment but a sticking SET button. When you say it's stuck, is it depressed when stuck or unable to depress at all? If it's intermittently failing to depress, then it's not alignment.
The problem is the only way to see what is wrong is to remove the button from the assembly. This is why sending back to your. Dealer/aquatics is a good idea if you are not a " tinkerer " with precision equipment. If you feel comfortable, and don't mind voiding your warranty, go ahead and disassemble the button from the housing. I suggest you get on the phone or skype(if they have these sort of advanced technology in Montreal:)) with Aquatica tech and have them walk you thru disassembly of the button. Otherwise you'll have to disassemble another button to compare components and assembly etc and see if you can spot the problem.
I've done it in the field before to remove sand and it isn't very difficult. Just remember the sequence of disassembly and reverse the order, using silicone on each oring.
Before you do surgery to the housing, discount the obvious first. Things to check:
1. Remove eye cup from viewfinder.
2. Screw camera securely onto tray with coin/screwdriver.
3. Are you locking down the tray before closing the housing?
Now to trouble shooting AFTER you verified the above and it didn't solve your problem.
1. Do the other buttons and dials on the rear work (MENU,TRASH etc)? If they do, then it's an alignment issue on the right side of the camera.
You can extend the button with a shimmy of some kind. I usually use duct tape cut finely. You 'll have to do this very gradually, adding 1mm or less at a time,hence the duct tape.
However, any fix is only temporary. I understand you are frustrated with a malfunctioning housing, but if you want warranty service, you'll need to send it back. Beats stomping your feet with a useless chunk of metal or even a functioning by duct tape. Good luck!