Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lightest, smallest computer that runs lightroom

Started by DiverPam ·

  • 65Posts
  • 65Replies

Read-only discussion

Lightest, smallest computer that runs lightroom

65 posts
  1. The ZenBook 11" & 13" ultrabook PC's are great recommendations. The Samsung Series 9 11" & 13" are also excellent. I would really recommend a 13" system however if you want to do some lightweight photo editing. The size and weight of an 11" vs 13" in PC is really, really small. In the case of both the ZenBook and Series 9 systems above the difference between 13" (2.6 lbs) and 11" (2.4 lbs) is just a few ounces. The extra screen size will make working with photos a lot easier. I know the 13" units are both 1600x900 screen size, which is definitely the minimum you should accept. These are all screaming fast pc's with core i5 cpus and fast SSD drives. The Samsung has the sharpest and brightest screen I have ever seen on a laptop.

     

    Samsung Series 9:

    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstor...87200/list.true

     

    Please don't pay any mind to suggestions to use VirtualBox or Parallels. This is crazy talk and should be reserved for hard core nerds. And running 2 operating systems on a computer with a 128 GB SSD drive is a HUGE waste of space. The storage is small enough on these systems already. You need more room for photos!!!

  2. This is crazy talk and should be reserved for hard core nerds. And running 2 operating systems on a computer with a 128 GB SSD drive is a HUGE waste of space. The storage is small enough on these systems already. You need more room for photos!!!

     

    Yes, this is crazy talk and yes, I'm a hard core nerd :)

     

    It's really only necessary to run a VM of some sort if you absolutely must run a Windows program. I agree it's unnecessary - I do so only because I like to use the Windows version of Microsoft Office. Also, I have this stupid program called iGolf to manage my golf GPS unit which refuses to work well in OSX, so I just use the Windows version of the program :D

     

    On the 128gb drive thing, I will tell you what I'm running on my 15" Macbook Pro:

     

    - 8gb RAM

    - 128gb SSD

    - 500gb regular hard drive where the CD drive used to be.

    - OSX

    - Windows 7

    - Parallels v.7

    - Lightroom 4.0

    - Adobe CS5

    - Photomatix

    - Nik's filters

    - Tiffen filters

    - Microsoft Office for Windows

    - Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.

     

    I use the 500gb drive for data only, programs and both OS's on the SSD. I have close to 60gb free on the SSD.

     

    I would recommend with any laptop keeping your photos backed up on an external drive, say 500gb or more. In addition to that, I carry a bunch of SD cards with me and don't delete any photos when on a trip. That way, I have my photos in two different places in case of catastrophe.

     

    A 11" or 13" laptop with a 128gb SSD is more than sufficient using this methodology.

     

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  3. I would recommend with any laptop keeping your photos backed up on an external drive, say 500gb or more. In addition to that, I carry a bunch of SD cards with me and don't delete any photos when on a trip. That way, I have my photos in two different places in case of catastrophe.

     

    I use an external 2Tb usb 3 drive for my photos. When I'm out of home my photos are in the SD cards, the laptop drive and in the external drive. I'm a little paranoid. :)

    I have now all my photos in Bluray disks for backup, that way I can delete the photos from the SD cards and the laptop drive.

  4. Hey Diver Pam -

     

    I think you should guesstimate how many photos you will be taking on the trip. Last year I dove Taiwan, Komodo, Lembeh and Palau with one comp. I dove for 5 weeks with a Toshiba netbook with 250 gigs of hard drive space and I filled it up (also had an extra 100 gigs of extra compact flash cards and filled all of those up too). So I would take into account how much storage you will need.

     

    Also - having a larger monitor is helpful for viewing your photos. I really wish I would have had a larger monitor to critique my photos and help my technique.

     

    Just some thoughts!

     

    Cheers,

    Jeremy

  5. Below are the "official" Adobe Lightroom system requirements (which I got from the B&H site).

     

    What are your thoughts about these requirements given Pam (and my) need for a fast and super light weight traveling computer (or MAC) that can run Lightroom. Do these requirements need to be enhanced to make the SW run efficiently? What do these systems REALLY need? (ie: what processor, how much RAM, etc.. I'm not sure about PAM but I'll be taking 16+/- mp RAW photos and I will be on a liveaboard.

     

     

     

    Windows:Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 processor

    Microsoft Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1

    2.0 GB of RAM

    1.0 GB of available hard-disk space

    1024 x 768 display

    DVD-ROM drive

    Internet connection required for Internet-based services

     

    Mac OS:

    Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support

    Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7

    2.0 GB of RAM

    1.0 GB of available hard-disk space

    1024 x 768 display

    DVD-ROM drive

    Internet connection required for Internet-based services

  6. I use an external 2Tb usb 3 drive for my photos. When I'm out of home my photos are in the SD cards, the laptop drive and in the external drive. I'm a little paranoid. :)

    I have now all my photos in Bluray disks for backup, that way I can delete the photos from the SD cards and the laptop drive.

     

    I have a LaCie 2TB external hard drive and it may weigh more than my Samsung Series 9 13" laptop. It's like turning a 3 pound notebook in to a 6 pounder! I usually carry a small 300mb 2.5" USB drive along for backups and overflow storage, small and light.

  7. Below are the "official" Adobe Lightroom system requirements (which I got from the B&H site).

     

    What are your thoughts about these requirements given Pam (and my) need for a fast and super light weight traveling computer (or MAC) that can run Lightroom. Do these requirements need to be enhanced to make the SW run efficiently? What do these systems REALLY need? (ie: what processor, how much RAM, etc.. I'm not sure about PAM but I'll be taking 16+/- mp RAW photos and I will be on a liveaboard.

     

     

    Nicely put - thanks. I would like to have something that I can take on all my dive trips - but I am specifically looking toward several trips in the next year and a half that will be 3 weeks or more each. My head is still spinning from all of the info. I intend on printing off all of the info in the thread so that I can have it with me as I go through this process.

     

    All good thoughts - sounds like the 13" screen is the better choice for viewing photos on a laptop - and weight is neglible between them.

     

    Know that a thin external hard drive is a must for a dive trip. Okay with that. I use 2 external hard drives on my home PC for my pictures.

     

    Keep in mind - I am NOT a hard core nerd - and having to run 2 OS in one computer will probably be too much for me. I perfer the KISS method.

     

    Looking forward to seeing what else you guys have to say.

     

    DiverPam

  8. I spent a good part of the weekend researching computers to address exactly the same thing. While the MAC looked like a great choice - I'm a PC gal and all my support systems (people that can help me fix troubleshoot) use PCs - so I decided to stick with a PC / Windows. There is a category of laptops called "THIN AND LIGHT" that seem to hit the mark.

     

    I scoured PC world, talked to stores, consumer reports, read articles, etc. I ended up buying a light weight laptop at Costco (there is a bunch of them on sale for the next 2 weeks) and there were none a few days ago. I ordered a "Thin and Light" computer with a little heft. After looking at a number of the REALLY Thin and Light computers - I decided they were way too flimsy for travel (they bend like one of those thin cutting boards.... yikes). The great thing about Costco is the return policy (90 days no questions asked – even if used and after 89 days you decide you don’t like the color) and they extend (double) the mfg’s warranty. The ZenBooks look like great machines – but you can’t get them at Costco (fast, inexpensive, hassle free).

     

    Here are the requirements I created for myself after doing my research

     

    Item Requirements

    Screen size: 13”

    Thick: 0.6-1.0”

    Weight: 2.5-3.5 lb

    Processor: Intel Core i5 minimum, 1.6 GHz - 2.5GHz (more is better)

    Optical Disk Drive: Nice to have for loading software, backing up, copies, movies, etc. Not 100% necessary – but makes it less complicated and more flexible

    USB: Multiple ports - at least one of which is USB 3.0

    Screen: 1280 x 800

    RAM: 4 GB ok, 6 GB is better

    Available hard disk space: More is better… 500-700 GB (issue with Solid State machines in that they only come with 128GB hard disks). The 128 may be OK if using external back up and once home I move everything to home machine. My 16 MB pictures in Lightroom suck space fast.

    Graphics Card: ??

    Power: 6-9 hour battery

    Availability: COSTCO

    Delivery Schedule: 1 week (I’m leaving on a trip)

     

    Nice to have (more stars = more important)

    *** SD Card reader (some have more types, SD at a minimum)

    **** Disk Drive - DVD ROM

    *** VERY Fast to boot

    ** RGB and HDMI connector

    ** Long life battery

     

    I ended up buying this Toshiba Portégé® R835 for $750. A great deal. Highly recommended by the rating agencies and available from Costco in 3-5 days. Good luck.

     

    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...ductsInCategory

     

    item number: Item # 639140

    Sometimes the machine shows up and sometimes it doesn’t – which is why I added the item number

  9. This is a really great computer, and you can't beat Costco for service and warranty. Great price on a really powerful and portable system!

     

    I ended up buying this Toshiba Portégé® R835 for $750. A great deal. Highly recommended by the rating agencies and available from Costco in 3-5 days. Good luck.

     

    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...ductsInCategory

     

    item number: Item # 639140

    Sometimes the machine shows up and sometimes it doesn’t – which is why I added the item number

  10. I spent a good part of the weekend researching computers to address exactly the same thing. While the MAC looked like a great choice - I'm a PC gal and all my support systems (people that can help me fix troubleshoot) use PCs - so I decided to stick with a PC / Windows. There is a category of laptops called "THIN AND LIGHT" that seem to hit the mark.

     

    I ended up buying this Toshiba Portégé® R835 for $750. A great deal. Highly recommended by the rating agencies and available from Costco in 3-5 days. Good luck.

     

    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...ductsInCategory

     

    item number: Item # 639140

    Sometimes the machine shows up and sometimes it doesn't – which is why I added the item number

     

     

    Thanks for the info - Appreciate you sharing what you came up with. Sounds like it addresses the issues I am looking at and looks like a good computer. Only problem for me - no Costco in my area. Bu that gives me a great starting place. I will be looking at their website in a few minutes.

     

    Thanks - printing out the list as I am typing. DiverPam

  11. STOP IT!!!

     

    In looking at the new MacBook Pro all I can say is WOW!!!!

  12. In looking at the new MacBook Pro all I can say is WOW!!!!

     

    After a heavy drooling session I do notice that the retina display is only available on the 15"...phew! Now I can be content with my old Macbook air for another year or so until they've squeezed it into the 13" :lol: Mid you it comes at a massive cost compared to the 13"

  13. I had the same issue; a new PC laptop. I considered the Samsung 9, but instead bought the Asus Zenbook UX31A, which is solid and has a 1920 x 1080 IPS screen. It's the IPS bit which sold it for me. I would have also considered the UX32VD which also has the same display available, but the RAM and HDD are upgradeable. But it wasn't available in Thailand. Since I use a couple of WD 500GB Passports for storage on trips, the fact the UX31A only has 125GB SSD is not an issue.

  14. We are now driving a 24" Eizo monitor off the Asus UX31A and running Lightroom. It works, althought it's a shade sluggish. There's little space on the SSD for anything but it's easy enough to use a USB 3.0 HDD attached to it. For a second computer, it's fine.

  15. I saw the Asus Zenbook and fellt in love with it as he/she is beautiful, light and powerful with a excellent screen and

    it is top of the 13" Ultrabooks.

    As option would be the Samsung Series 9 900X4C (A04DE) or the HP Envy 14-3000eg Spectre

    Chris

  16. Now drooling again over options. Will still be PC for me. Have had to put off that purchase for a few months....but keep the thoughts coming guys.

     

    Let us know how the new ultrabooks as a primary are working with lightroom.

     

    Happy diving - DiverPam

  17. Hi,

     

    I am standing for the same decision and I am also a PC-person...

     

    My choice seems to end up with the ASUS-Zenbook with an 11.6" Screen. Dimensions 299 x 196.8 x 3 ~17 mm (WxDxH) Weight 1.1 kg

    The 13.3" Monitor version would be roughly an inch wider&deeper and 0,2kg heavier.

    The downside of these ZENBOOKS atre that the come with only 4GB RAM.

    I did some checks of importing,rendering & easy editing in LR4 and my desktop never used more than 3.5GB RAM.

    So I deemed it OK for Lightroom on the road.

    The advantage is that it has 2 USB3 ports. Which gives the possibility to bring 2 external USB3 500GB Memories for storing and easy backup!

     

    Well, those Zenbooks looks really really nice :-)

     

    /Erik

  18. Has anyone tried the Microsoft Surface Pro?

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.