I think I'd also tend to agree with what the dealers are telling you - in the water movement is going to be a bit slower if only because having to displace water with a rig instead of air as you swing it around. There are a lot of instabilities with shooting underwater (surge, current, photographer not being 'planted', fighting rig balance (tendancy to rotate 'dome up' with large domes), etc, but none of these result in a 'shaky' so much as a 'wandery' movement...unless as someone else pointed out you're cold and shivering, in which case you probably shouldn't be shooting anyway. Plus as others have pointed out the max focal length underwater is probably 150mm (which may be slightly magnified by being behind a flat port, but still). Assuming you're shooting with a strobe, and are trying for exposures on the order of 1/100th or so maximum....IS might only be helpful in a few circumstances.
All that said, you camera choice is quite possibly used much more often above water than below....so if IS is available and not a dealbreaker, cost-wise, why not? I haven't looked into the M4/3 line for quite some time, so I don't know what options are out there, but I'd say if in body stabilization is available it is a worthy addition...but I wouldn't spring for in-lens stabilization on a lens you primarily intended for underwater use.
(I'm currently shooting Sony and have both in body stab and one lens -- 150mm - 500mm -- with optical stabilization. Obviously the latter is not used underwater, but on that lens I find I turn off the IB and use the lens's optical stab instead.)