Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 779Posts
  • 779Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus OM-D E-M5

779 posts
  1. Yes, I know it is not a DSLR (but I am not sure where else to post). It doesn't have a mirror. But I arrive in Gozo (Malta) this afternoon and have begun putting this camera through its paces with a few other photographers. Just had time for a quick dip while the sun was setting.

     

    The OM-D E-M5 is a new type of Micro Four Thirds camera and seems to really move the game on. It is very impressive, both in terms of performance and image quality. IQ particularly impressive in terms of dynamic range and ISO. Lens choice seems to cover all. Some aspects of the housing are excellent, some less good. Will post some pictures of the kit when I've taken some tomorrow.

     

    I am here to review it for Wetpixel and see if it really is a viable alternative to a DSLR (my excuse for posting in this forum)

     

    Here are some snaps taken as I was figuring out how it worked as the light faded rapidly. Only done one dive so far - trying the Panasonic 8mm fisheye.

     

    Taken with Olympus E-M5 and 8mm fisheye. 1/15 @ f/5, ISO 800. Available light (hand held with in body 5 axis stabiliser).

    post-713-1338153941.jpg

     

    Taken with Olympus E-M5 and 8mm fisheye. 1/30 @ f/8, ISO 400. 2 x INON Z240.

    post-713-1338153885.jpg

     

    Taken with Olympus E-M5 and 8mm fisheye. 1/15 @ f/10, ISO 3200. Available light (hand held with in body 5 axis stabiliser).

    post-713-1338153963.jpg

     

    Taken with Olympus E-M5 and 8mm fisheye. 1/3 @ f/11, ISO 200. 2 x INON Z240.

    post-713-1338154108.jpg

     

    Now must sleep!

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. Great, thanks!

     

    IMHO you should post here, system is more relevant than mirror. I'm looking forward to hear your further opinions!

     

    Cheers

    /O

  3. Really looking forward to this review.

     

    Are you using the Olympus housing or the rumored Nauticam housing?

  4. Olympus housing.

  5. Ikelite has posted that they are NOT going to make a housing for the OM-D. Bummer.

  6. Olympus housing.

    Dr. Alex,

     

    I am so glad you are "field" testing this Oly. Will you use the 12-50? What for macro? IMHO, this is the sub form for this type of camera. Don and I wanted Adam to create a section for mirrorless. Adam suggested posting to this DSLR form.

     

    Regards,

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  7. I have not been able to get a spare Olympus battery for my E-M5 yet and would be interested in battery life with the EVF on. Also now well the housing works without any pickup finder.

     

    Phil Rudin

  8. B&H says it will be two months before they can fill my backorder for the OM-d. Bummer.

     

    Phil, What's a housing "pickup finder?"

  9. Hello Jlyle,

     

    Check the Nauticam NEX-7 housing and you will see a lens to aide when viewing with the OLED-EVF. This allows a better view into the EVF. It does not appear that the Olympus housing has one, they did on the DSLR housings for the E-system cameras.

     

    Phil Rudin

  10. This does look like a sweet little camera.

    Still have my OM-2S

  11. This does look like a sweet little camera.

    Still have my OM-2S

     

     

    Sweet lenses keep coming for the MFT line as well like the just announced Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 X which will focus to 25cm. This lens is already getting rave reviews and it appears it will fit into some current ports (both flat and dome) with only a new gear needed.

     

    Phil Rudin

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  12. I have not been able to get a spare Olympus battery for my E-M5 yet and would be interested in battery life with the EVF on. Also now well the housing works without any pickup finder.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

     

    Isn't the battery for the E-M5 the same as the one used in the Olympus E-330? BLM-1? PM me and I'll send you one of mine.

  13. Not the same battery, I have a few of the old ones anyway. Thanks for the offer.

     

    I have the vertical battery grip but no extra battery to use it with at this time.

     

    BLN-1, not the BLM-1, I now have four different types of batteries for Olympus cameras

     

    Phil

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  14. I hope to write my review up today or tomorrow. It will be on the Wetpixel frontpage, but I will also put a link here.

     

    Alex

  15. Great Alex to see your interest for this camera !!

    My worry about it is that if I'm sure that wide angle will not be a problem , what about macro ? All the pictures that I've seen untill now taken with mirrorless camera did not convince me vs pictures taken with a dslr.

    Of course normally Olympus will release a 60 mm macro , but will Nauticam and Olympus release also a port for it quickly ??

    Anyway this camera seems actually impossible to found in France .. so wait and see .. :)

    Edited by girelle
  16. I think a port for the 60mm should be easy enough - as any flat port with an port extender ring would work - if it doesn't fit in an existing macro port. Until a dedicated port is produced.

     

    I have heard that the Olympus housing is compatible with Sea and Sea RDX port - but I have not been able to confirm this. Can anyone?

     

    I did two dives with it on macro, including one yesterday. It has strengths and weaknesses relative to a DSLR.

     

    Alex

  17. I would be interested to know what port you used for the 8mm fisheye and if the ZEN ports work with the new Olympus port mount on this housing.

     

    Phil Rudin

  18. Hi Phil - we used the Olympus 6" port - which wasn't perfect - but good enough to complete the review. We could get rid of most cut off by removing the port shade (although we generally left it on as the images were for review purposes).

     

    I am most of the way through writing the review - so hopefully it will be online tomorrow - assuming i have time to finish it (I am currently realising why Rome is called the Eternal City - with a never-ending transit at Leo's Airport - so I should be close) and Adam has time to post it.

     

    Right - back to work!

     

    Alex

  19. Thank you Alex , we'll wait patiently your review :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.