Also it does not appear that the standard flat port is NOT included with the PT-E08 housing but is an add-on.
Too many negatives there. I guess it does not appear that the standard flat port IS included...
Read-only discussion
Also it does not appear that the standard flat port is NOT included with the PT-E08 housing but is an add-on.
Too many negatives there. I guess it does not appear that the standard flat port IS included...
Olympus today released a firmware update (v.1.2) for the E-M5 when used in underwater mode with the 12-50 power zoom lens. In the U/W wide angle mode the lens will auto zoom to 12mm and when placed in the U/W macro mode the lens zooms to 50mm. This will allow those using the lens without a gear to get to both ends of the zoom range. It does not appear from the press release that you can get into the macro mode with this update. At 50mm close focus gives you an image area of about 1:4, in a 35mm equivalent V. about 1:1 in the macro mode. Still this will allow the lens to be used in the standard Olympus port or with the Nuaticam housing in both W/A and closeup on the same dive without a gear.
I download the new firmware and noting happens wenn i switch to the underwatermode. Not in W/A or Macro mode - no zooming at all.
Is there still a little bug???
cheers,
Conny
The Nauticam NA-EM5 housing should start shipping this coming weekend.
YEEEESSSSSS !!!!!
:)
:)
I download the new firmware and noting happens wenn i switch to the underwatermode. Not in W/A or Macro mode - no zooming at all.
Is there still a little bug??
I found out that you must switch to E-Zoom to make it work :-)
A little help, please. I have a standing order for a Nauticam housing for the OM-D. I've been told that the shipping date has slipped and I may not get the housing until after the 28th. Since we leave for Mexico on the 28th, I probably won't get the housing before our trip. If anyone knows of a store that will have a housing I can buy in time, I would sincerely appreciate a heads-up.
Olympus today released a firmware update (v.1.2) for the E-M5 when used in underwater mode with the 12-50 power zoom lens. ...
Phil Rudin
Phil,
Never bothered to have a look through the different scene modes - but after the firmware-update I did - only to find out that in my camera there simply isn't any underwater-mode! (Not that I would use it...) Also, in dpreview.com under specifications there is NO underwater-mode listed (review from April). Any hidden menu I need to activate? Very strange...
Jock
Phil,
Never bothered to have a look through the different scene modes - but after the firmware-update I did - only to find out that in my camera there simply isn't any underwater-mode! (Not that I would use it...) Also, in dpreview.com under specifications there is NO underwater-mode listed (review from April). Any hidden menu I need to activate? Very strange...
Jock
Hi Jock,
the underwater mode is a little bit tricky to find. When you configure your buttons you have the possility to set an underwater mode (it has a little fish symbol). You can use the F1, F2, Rec oder down button - last one i choose. So when you push the new button you can switch from wide angle to tele configuration. It does also do some setting on the WB a.s.o.. The new zoom changes only work when you switch at the lens to the E-Zoom.
cheers,
Conny
the underwater mode is a little bit tricky to find. ...
Aaah - the (in)famous Olympus menu! Found it, thanks
Jock
Guess I am being dense, but what advantage does UW mode provide- changed WB? Shoot Raw, so that would not be a great advantage. To date, I have lived without such a Mode- maybe I just don't know what I am missing ;-) At least I know know what the fishy and group of fishes mean.
This started off as a very simple update regarding the new Olympus 12-50 zoom lens. If you do the firmware update you will be able to use the 12-50 without a ZOOM GEAR by shifting from the U/W macro mode for the 50 end to the U/W wide mode to zoom the lens to 12mm. That is the reason I started talking about the U/W modes. Then jock went off on me because he "never bothered" to locate the U/W modes in his camera or to ask how to find them.
Bottom line is Olympus, unlike Panasonic has given us a way to zoom the power Zoom lens from the camera body.
Would have been nice if it opened the full zoom range and not just 12 & 50mm.
Phil Rudin
Phil,
Is this new body controlled zoom capability limited to the em-5 or can other bodies take advantage as well?
I'm specifically interested in the epl2.
Thanks
I don't know if Olympus can make this firmware upgrade work with other Olympus mirrorless cameras.
Phil Rudin
If you do the firmware update you will be able to use the 12-50 without a ZOOM GEAR by shifting from the U/W macro mode for the 50 end to the U/W wide mode to zoom the lens to 12mm.
Phil Rudin
Thank you, Phil. Finally got my head around the function. Your simple explanation is the best I have seen to date- and the first I understand.
Size comparison photos.
Canon 5D mark 2 and 16-35 zoom, (no shade, guess I should have left it on for the photo)
Olympus E520 and 7-14 zoom (with shade, it's not removable)
Olympus OM-D EM-5 and 8mm lens (with shade, it's not removable)
yeah, the 8mm isn't a zoom, so it's not exactly apples to apples, but damn it's small.
in case I didn't get the linking right, they are here:
http://www.rogercarlsonphotography.com/Gear/OM-D-EM-5-size-comparison/24217490_cWh5jD


Does someone know if the new port for 12-50mm has a 67mm thread to attach the macrolenses? When they start to ship the port?????
Conny
If you are talking about the Olympus PT-E08 housing for the E-M5 I have attached a link to the system chart which does include a mount for the 67mm type closeup lenses. Same as for the PEN housing systems.
Also attached is a youTube video of how the port is attached and removed.
http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/cs/pen/acce/pdf/system_ptep08.pdf
Phil Rudin
If you are talking about the Olympus PT-E08 housing for the E-M5 I have attached a link to the system chart which does include a mount for the 67mm type closeup lenses. Same as for the PEN housing systems.
Also attached is a youTube video of how the port is attached and removed.
http://www.olympus.c...stem_ptep08.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRc4-fmMwvk&feature=player_embedded
Phil Rudin
and whats about the Nauticam housing??
A new port is being developed that allows you to access the macro function as well as zoom the lens through the full range from 12 to 50mm.
Phil
This started off as a very simple update regarding the new Olympus 12-50 zoom lens. ... Then jock went off on me because he "never bothered" to locate the U/W modes in his camera or to ask how to find them.
Phil Rudin
????
Phil, I simply asked where to find the UW-mode! I own the camera for just more than a week and are still exploring it - huge task, btw. Normally, I never use modes like portrait, snow etc.pp. But after I read your posting about the update I tried to find UW mode. It is not in the scenes menu (as it is in P&S Olys like my old SP350) - that is why I asked. Okay, okay, maybe I should have RTFM first...
Jock
For what it is worth, I asked Nauticam about the new Panny 12-35 f2.8 coming out (getting excellent reviews ), and they were non-committal about supporting it. The response:
I have not heard of any plans, yet. We'll need to get a hold of one and evaluate it. It doesn't have nearly the magnification of the 12-50mm, so am not sure it will be that popular with u/w photographers. It's also going to be $1300 which will dampen enthusiasm for it too, I would guess.
Guess I understand. It does appear to have good close focus. Lensrentals review:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/06/a-weekend-with-the-panasonic-12-35-f2-8
Also, for what it is worth, DxO came out with their modules for the OM-D and a few lenses (hadn't been looking for this- use it for my events and sports photography with my DSLRs). Quickly tried it last night, and it seems to clean up the 12-50 Raw photos fairly well. Hadn't really thought of using DxO on these photos- guess it is just value added.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.