Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 779Posts
  • 779Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus OM-D E-M5

779 posts
  1. Try using the 12-50 at no smaller than about f11 and preferably closer to f8. Similarly, the 7-14 does best right around f8. I haven't really evaluated this with my lens, but have heard the 12-50 is best 1-2 stops down from max aperture. At f22 you are well past the point where diffraction degrades the images you get. That isn't unique to that lens.

     

    I have not used a diopter on the 12-50 and am unfamiliar with the one you are using; could that be at least some of the problem?

     

    I have not experienced the focus problems or excessive softness you are describing with the 12-50, so I'm not sure what to say. It isn't widely regarded as a tack-sharp lens, but I am generally happy with it. The 60 is a better macro lens but of course you give up that zoom flexibility. Which is best depends on your priorities.

     

    FWIW, my 60 does not seem to exhibit any softness or focus issues. Perhaps post some images?

  2. Is the nuticam 7" inch dome work on pana 7-14mm?

    Is so, whats the outcome?

  3. Hi guys i need a litle help with my new OMD EM1, i need to fire the internal flash flipped down to fire the external strobes using a fiber optic cable, and for this i need to Change the Flash Mode so that the flash will fire even when flipped down, where i can configure this on the menu of OMD EM1 ?, i am using the new AE-M1 Aquatica Housing, sorry about my poor english.

  4. Set custom function keys to underwater mode - one fish/3 fishes icon (if you use 12-50 this also zooms to far end or wide), and it will fire even when positioned down.

  5. Tks Aleksander !!

  6. Hello all,



    Thanks for the responses to the focus assist 'problem' I had with the manual focus on my Olympus 60mm macro lens.


    I have used a 3D printer to print a focus gear using a file on the web that was made for the 60mm in a Nauticam housing (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40267/#files) but there were no assembly instructions. It is not clear how the 'base' fits with the other two components (how these fit together is obvious). Has anyone tried this and if so I would be grateful for any hints on assembly?



    Mark


  7. Hello dear diving-colleagues,

     

    after one wonderful week of diving in Madeira I have recognized a tiny, almost unnoticable crack in the anodized surface of my new Nauticam housing. It is located at the inner side of the rear door just near the main O-ring and is continously in contact with saltwater while diving.

     

    Can anyone give me a hint if this is something to worry about in terms of corrosion of the aluminium body or just to forget, as ist does not affect functionality.

     

    Thanx in advance and have a nice weekend,

     

    Eismann

     

    post-42687-0-71706600-1398447314_thumb.jpg

     

    post-42687-0-73018500-1398447317_thumb.jpg

  8. Hello everyone, I'm buying the new diving equipment. I chose Olympus omd EM5 with Nauticam na-EM5. How do I choose brackets Nauticam Flexitray II. I ask you some advice about the buoyancy of a configuration like this:

    - Olympus omd EM5
    - Nauticam na EM5 + Flexitray II and right handle.
    - 2 x Inon flash s2000
    - 2x arms Nauticam 8 "
    - 2x arms Nauticam 5 "
    - 6x Nauticam Clamp
    - Lens olympus 9-18
    - Nauticam semi-dome port 4 "

    According to what you want can be negative in the water?
    How do I balance the weight? floating booms?

    Thanks to all

    Edited by emapola
  9. It will be negative, even with four Stix floats, but not so much that handling is impaired. I shoot the same rig on 60-80 minute dives all the time with no fatigue

  10. @emapola - are the arms in your selection float arms? If yes, you should be fine. If not, i'd suggest to keep 2x "normal" arms and 2x float like these

     

    I have STIX floats on the 2x other arms too, and have found that having 4x float arms don't give me the flexibility that i want with 2x normal + 2x float as a system.

  11. I have been using the OM-D EM5 for the last two years, and i love the rig, especially when travelling.

    However i have some issues when switching to manual focus in murky waters when shooting fisheye.

    I have assigned one of the Fn buttons for MF/AF that works fine. When turning the camera it will be set to infinity, that is great on the top side, but in the housing under water behind the dome it will result in images out of focus.

    The thing i usually do is to focus on something two meter away just under the surface, and then switch to MF before decending.

    That works if i keep the camera on during the dive, but if the camera goes into stand-by mode it will go back to infinity again.

    Has anyone found a better way when using manual focus without using a focus gear?

    Edited by tobbe
  12. Also, i suspect your particular problem is because in:

    Custom Menu -> A. AF/MF -> Reset Lens

    is set to On. It needs to be set to Off to prevent the camera from resetting the focus.

  13. Thanks Coroander, I will have a try with your settings!

  14. Has any body heard if there are plans to.make a fisheye zoom for the EM5? I am about to purchase the 8mm fisheye but would wait for the flexibility a zoom if it is in the works.

    Thanks

  15. Very cool, Ted. Will be watching to see how you like it. I'm in a bit of a hold pattern still trying to figure out what to do. My bank account is telling me to stick with the 40D a while longer but we'll see how it goes.

     

    Mike

    She really likes the rig, especially the comfort of the vacuum system.

     

    It is a complicated camera. The menus are very obtuse and some settings don't seem to stay where you set them.

    But that's what you get with the level of customization that the EM-1 allows.

     

    The housing has a number of features like the moving of the rear O-ring to the door that are very positive.

    The reduction in size from the Nikon D70/Subal is greatly appreciated, although it is bigger than the NEX-5n/Nauticam that she had for a short time.

     

    All in all a hit!

  16. So did anyone properly test out the 9-18mm olympus m43 lens in the nauticam 3.5 and 4.33 ports and got a good result. Diopter plus which extension ring?


    What is the weight of the Zen 170mm dome port fort Nauticams olympus housing?

  17. There's zero chance that good results will be obtained with the 9-18mm behind the 3.5" or 4.33" dome ports. These ports are far too curved to allow the corners to have any chance of ever being in focus.


    The 9-18mm behind the 4" semi-dome (which has the same optical radius as the 6" semi-dome for the 7-14mm) with a +2 diopter looks excellent.



    12mm test results behind the 4.33" dome:


    http://wetpixel.com/...=51858&p=342712



    Storker's 9-18mm test results behind the 4" semi-dome:


    http://wetpixel.com/...=51969&p=343523


    Edited by coroander

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.