Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 779Posts
  • 779Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus OM-D E-M5

779 posts
  1. Thanks Draq. I have the TR-DUP with the TR-DM, so two handles. I am curious to see if it is wide enough to use comfortably the Nauticam housing.

  2. Hi coroander (and others),

     

    just a quick hint: See my posting (#51) in the above mentioned wetpixel thread with my thoughts about low ISO and how to set the small focus pint.

     

    Jock

     

    p.s.: A big thank to you for all the detailed descriptions on how to set the E M5 - it was and still is a phantastic help.

  3. I just updated my firmware and can see the extra low ISO setting but I am not sure how to access the small focus point?

     

    Mark

  4. Please do update the settings post.

    TIA,

    Bob

  5. Is there a ring available for the 60mm macro that allows selection of the focus range when in the Nauticam 12-50 port? I presume a clever engineer could create something to utilise the second knob on this housing.

  6. will the focus gear for the 60mm macro lens work also to zoom the 12-50mm in the nauticam 4" port??

  7. You can use the focus gear for the 60mm macro in the 12-50mm port.

  8. A bit of an odd question to ask but after reading countless reviews and forums I still can't find a clear cut honest answer on this one.


    I have the possibility to grab a OM-EM5 with 12-50 kit lens, in great condition, for 675$ (locally, no shipping)


    I was originally looking at the less expensive E-PL5 with its kit Zuiko 14-42 RII which I can probably find for 550$ shipped.


    The housing for the EM5 is more expensive (1000 vs 750) too.


    The EM5 is a step above the PL5 without a doubt however I'm a bit concerned about some of the newer features of the PL5 not being included in the M5.


    Based on your knowledge, would you still consider the EM5 a worthy investment, or is it 'outdated' in some aspects ?

  9. This would mostly be in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. Are the EPL5 features you find missing in EM5 of use to you?

     

    I am not missing anything on my EM5 to complain about, apart maybe from perhaps focus peaking. However, this is irrelevant feature for underwater application and relates to old, manual focus lenses. Even if I was missing something, it is probably of little importance as I do not know I am missing something. :D

  10. HI,

    I am looking for a bit of advice about using the EM5. I was lucky enough to find dolphins yesterday on the way back from my dive. I had about a 10 minute encounter with two bottlenose and snapped as many photos as I could. However, almost all of them were out of focus. I was shooting on Shutter Speed Priority at 80 and auto focus. That is what I used to do with my old camera, a g12, and never had any issues. So my question is: what is the best focus setting to use for quick moving open ocean species like dolphins, mantas, and whale sharks?

  11. I was having the same problem shooting my niece's basketball game. Use single focus. Was the "out of focus" really motion blur? I would crank the shutter speed up to at least 1/250 and bump the ISO if needed.

  12. A question for those using the Olympus 60mm macro lens in manual focus mode (on an EM5).

    When I turn the focus ring, the image changes to 14x the original no matter what setting I select. Once I leave it the original view returns. I am unable to achieve focus in manual mode and wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if so, how you dealt with it. Any suggestions on how to fix this frustrating issue would be most helpful.

     

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Edited by markw
  13. Thanks Frank, that's very helpful.

    I didn't see that option in the manual (it's probably there somewhere).

     

    Mark

  14. It sounds like you have the "manual focus assist" activated. This can be toggled on or off. It's somewhere in the MF/AF menu but I can't remember exactly where

  15. Thanks tropobro - I don't mind having this option if I can get to grips with how to use it. Frank's suggestion above helped - the amount of magnification can be reduced by turning the front wheel and this makes it possible to focus manually. It's also pleasing to know that the lens is functioning correctly.

     

    Mark

  16. Had a chance to look this morning - "MF Assist" is in the *A menu

  17. Hi,

    So I finally have time to play around with my camera and have found a few things that I would appreciate some advice with. I have the nauticam housing with a Lumix 7-14 lens, the 12-50, and a +7 bluewater diopter.

     

    When using the 12-50 lens, I am noticing a significant loss of sharpness especially in closer focus photos though in wider angle photos as well. Most of the macro photos were taken at f22 (iso 200, 1/250) which may explain some of the loss of sharpness. But some experimental photos at f16 didn't sharpen the photos. While I know it is not a dedicated Marco lens, I still expected it to be sharper. Has anyone else experienced this? And more importantly, have you experienced this with the 60MM macro lens (this is next on my list of purchases). I know f22 is high but I really like the black background it produces with the nudis I have found in Roatan.

     

    I have also been experimenting with over/under short with the Lumix 7-14 lens and the Nauticam dome and would like some advice as to the best settings. The photos I have taken seem to be a bit soft as well.

     

    I am also having focusing issues with the 12-50 lens. In many of my photos, especially of a turtle I found on my last dive, the eyes or intended focus area seem to be out of focus and the adjacent area in focus. Is it best to move the focus points through the "main menu" or use the F2 button to access the "magnified box" and move that around?

     

    Thanks for any and all advice,

    Caroline

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.