Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 779Posts
  • 779Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus OM-D E-M5

779 posts
  1. The PT-EP08 Housing available in Europe, BUT ...

     

    ... who would buy this housing for EUR 999 when the NA-EM 5 sells for EUR 1,289 ???

     

    I did not sum up the "total cost" (add ports, zoom gear etc), but the price difference is so ridiciously small that it needs a significant price drop to make it an alternative to the Nauticam housing.

     

    Here is the shop where I found it:

     

    http://www.uw-fotopartner.com/Underwater-Housings/Interchangeable-lens-camera/UW-housing/Olympus/underwater-Housing-Olympus-PT-EP-08-for-the-E-M5?c=2426

  2. I would tend to agree with you Jock. Olympus has by far the best housings coming from any major camera maker but the differences between these two housing is significant. To compare apples to apples you need to at least add a port and

    gear for the lens. Olympus has chosen to sell a port for the 14-42mm "kit" zoom. A much better choice would be the 12-50mm "kit" zoom which is being supported by Nauticam but at a greater cost for a port and gear that will allow use of the full zoom range plus the macro switch feature.

     

    Cost wise in the us the Nautican NA-EM5 housing, 14-42 port and gear for the 14-42/9-18mm lenses is now listed at around $$1800.00.

     

    The Olympus PT-E08 housing, port for the 14-42 and 14-42/9-18 gear are listed at $1448.00 you will need to add another $50.00 for the port adapter for the 67mm closeup lenses which is built into the Nauticam port bring the total to $1498.00.

     

    The Olympus tray is also higher than the much better Nauticam tray as well.

     

    The upsides to the Olympus housing will be for those moving from the 4/3 DSLR systems to the M43 E-M5 housing if they want to use their 4/3 lenses and DSLR system ports with the Olympus adapter. In the Alex Mustard review of the Olympus housing for Wetpixel and UWPMAG.com you will see the Olympus macro port for the 50mm macro DSLR lens and the 170mm dome port for the Olympus 8mm fisheye, 7-14 zoom, 9-18, 11-22 and other DSLR lenses. Those that already own these ports and the ones from Athena, Inon and others may stick with those ports and lenses.

     

    Let me finish by saying yes I teach workshops for Nauticam and yes I have used Olympus 4/3 and M43 equipment for years.

     

    Phil Rudin

  3. Alex M took my OMD-EM5 and Nauti housing to Mexico recently so hope he'll be able to give some opinions as to the comparative ergonomics of the two housings side by side....

  4. Yep - used the Nauticam housing here in Mexico. Definitely preferred the Nauti to the Olympus housing. It is well thought out and easy to use. Here are some photos.

     

    post-713-0-09141900-1343770652.jpg

     

    post-713-0-54683200-1343770871.jpg

     

    post-713-0-56821800-1343770510.jpg

     

    The housing doesn't offer the ergonomic finesse of one of Nauticam's latest SLR housings, but it is still nice to use. Definitely get one with the hand strap - which makes holding the housing one handed really easy.

     

    I really like the OM-D.

     

    Alex

  5. Can I have it back now ;)

  6. Don't you have it? I sent it back with Neil last weekend.

     

    Although I forgot the clip on flash - which I can return tomorrow.

     

    Alex

  7. I wish Nauticam would have put a simple "tray lock" in the NE-EM5 housing.

  8. Sweet lenses keep coming for the MFT line as well like the just announced Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 X which will focus to 25cm. This lens is already getting rave reviews and it appears it will fit into some current ports (both flat and dome) with only a new gear needed.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    Phil, Could you help me with what ports will work on the Nauticam housing with the 12-35. Also, what focusing ring- or is it an alteration project? Love the 12-35. Large for MFT, but the resolution is excellent, visibly better than the 12-50.

     

    Thanks,

    Edited by tdtaylor
  9. Most of the current FLAT ports are to short, the 12-50 port which is coming will be a little long and they have a port for the Sony 30 mm macro Alpha mount lens and adapter which may be long enough. The zoom gear for Panasonic 7-14 would be about the closest gear with a large enough inside diameter for the lens. I think it may also work inside the six inch 7-14 dome port but would want to test it first to be sure.

     

    Next issue is at 12mm will you be happy with the results behind a flat port.

     

    Phil Rudin

  10. Next issue is at 12mm will you be happy with the results behind a flat port.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    And I've also seen quite a bit of feedback that the Pany wide lenses have issues with CA on non-Panny cameras. Not sure it matters as much for UW, but still . . .

  11. One question is how to shoot macro in manual mode. For me, the EVF is way dim and hard to compose with, I must be doing something wrong. Also a tray lock would have been nice.

    Bill

  12. Hi Bill,

    Try turn the Live view boost "on" .

    It should be located at Menu/Custom Menu/ (Disp.Sound.PC)/Live view boost

    "If [On] is selected, priority will be given to making images

    clearly visible; the effects exposure compensation and other

    settings will not be visible in the monitor."

     

    Edmond

  13. Yes, it took me half a dive to work this out! The screen was black all the time as it was mimicking the exposure!

  14. Most of the current FLAT ports are to short, the 12-50 port which is coming will be a little long and they have a port for the Sony 30 mm macro Alpha mount lens and adapter which may be long enough. The zoom gear for Panasonic 7-14 would be about the closest gear with a large enough inside diameter for the lens. I think it may also work inside the six inch 7-14 dome port but would want to test it first to be sure.

     

    Next issue is at 12mm will you be happy with the results behind a flat port.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    I receive my Nauticam housing Thursday, along with the Port/ring for the 7-14. I'll give it a try with the 12-35.

  15. Hi,

    are there any new informations about the shipping of the 12-50 Port from Nauticam???? I need it in 10 Day - any hope???

     

    LG, Conny

  16. Regarding the Panasonic 12-35 F/2.8 I don't own the lens at this time but I have read reviews by DP review, SLR gear and several others. All have said that the CA was very well controlled or made no mention of CA at all. Not sure who started the CA issue or if they own the lens but would be interested see where these rumors come from. I realize the Olympus cameras don't have the in camera CA compensation that Panasonic bodies have but the same process can be done in Lightroom and others. Can someone point out the review that started the CA rumors would be interested to read it.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

     

  17. The screen is the only complain I have with this set , if you put the maximum of light on it , you can't appreciate well the exposure of the picture , of course ( they tend to be underexposed ..)you have the histogram to appreciate it , but underwater it's not always so easy .

    Edited by girelle
  18. My review for the E-M5 and Nauticam NA-EM5 housing is now released in Underwater Photography magazines new issue at UWPMAG.com. The cover shot is also mine and taken with the same system. Hope you enjoy the comparison with the Olympus housing reviews already posted here at Wetpixel.

     

    Phil Rudin

  19. Phil: Great image of the jawfish, I really like that one.

    Bill

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.