Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wide angle zooms for Nikon D800

Started by voets ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide angle zooms for Nikon D800

27 posts
  1. I'm using D700 & 17-35 with Zen 230 port but I still have problem with soft focus around the edge of my frame. Do I need diopter to solve the soft focus?

     

    Unfortunately, if I understand the thread properly, that might be as good as it gets. The 16-35mm, despite being a less well-specified lens, seems to work better behind a dome.

  2. Unfortunately, if I understand the thread properly, that might be as good as it gets. The 16-35mm, despite being a less well-specified lens, seems to work better behind a dome.

    By less well specified, do you mean just the maximum aperture? In other respects it is probably better 'specified' particularly for digital. Remember the 17-35 was developed in the film days. The reason the 16-35 behaves better behind a dome may have to do with the way the light is collated more specifically for digital sensors. I'm not sure I see the real differences topside between the 2 lenses, and in fact gave my 17-35 to a friend and don't miss it. The 16-35 also has VR.

    Edited by loftus
  3. By less well specified, do you mean just the maximum aperture?

     

    Basically, although the construction of the 17-35 seems a little more rugged, too. You're right about the rest, the 16-35mm seems to be the one to house, even if it's not without problems and needs a big dome.

  4. Does anybody have experience with the Sea@SEA D800 housing and the best extension to use with the S&S fisheye domeport for the nikon 16-35?

    Peter

  5. Hi pdemaagt,

     

    I have heard two person who use 40mm + 40mm extension rings behind the big S&S fisheye 240 domeport. If I am not wrong S&S have also aproved this combo know! The pictures I have seen with this setup is perfect!

    Anyone know if someone use Sea&Sea Optical domeport and the sigma 15mm fisheye direct on the MDX800 housing without extensions? Would be nice if it works without vignetting.

  6. I tried an optical dome port with a 20mm extension and the Sigma 15 on a Nauticam D800 and it vigettes the sunshade pretty well. I think that dome is going to be too small for it.

     

    Jack

  7. Hi pdemaagt,

     

    I have heard two person who use 40mm + 40mm extension rings behind the big S&S fisheye 240 domeport. If I am not wrong S&S have also aproved this combo know! The pictures I have seen with this setup is perfect!

    Anyone know if someone use Sea&Sea Optical domeport and the sigma 15mm fisheye direct on the MDX800 housing without extensions? Would be nice if it works without vignetting.

    Thanks!!

    Practically it would mean I will add the Extension Ring 40 and the SX extension ring.....I don't have two 40's :-)

    Peter

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.