Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

How long do you leave your housing closed?

Started by MortenHansen ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

How long do you leave your housing closed?

26 posts
  1. Hi! For what it's worth, I have been leaving my Hugyfot D7000 housing closed and ready to dive for more than 2 weeks.

    Reason is simple: I usually dive once a week, and if I shoot the same configuration, why going through the hassle of opening/closing? I just put the housing in a freshwater tank for a few hours when going back from the dive.

    This has the drawback of preventing pictures download, but it saves me time!

  2. I have always tried to remember to pull the o-rings that are not mounted into a groove when storing at home. If I do not want to remove the o-ring, I leave that section open. I reassemble before the trip, putting dry o-rings on the ports and exyensions. I do consider a dry o-ring better than none if I miss them assembling the camera. Since the ports are off the housing in the travel case I do not worry about pressure causing a seal I can't break. About every two years I replace all of the o-rings.

     

    When on a trip I only open the housing when necessary. When I do open the housing I grease the rings and reassemble the night before when I have time to do it carefully.

     

    I've never had a o-ring failure. Ten years with Ikeite and Aquatica housings.

  3. In the "old days" when we used a Nikonos, Bob Warkentin did, and still does, sell bright orange "storage o-rings" for the Nikonos. His blurb on them is here: http://www.southern-nikonos.com/parts.htm

     

    I don't know if the o-rings used in more modern housings are made of the same material or not. They are black, mostly, though wacko.png

     

    Tom

  4. Jock,

     

    Absolutely wonderful!

     

    Tom

  5. I am on my fourth housing now: Ikelite N90 (had it for 2 years), Ikelite F100 (2 years), Sea&Sea F100 (3 years), Subal D2x (10 years). I have never removed any o'ring and always left back of the housing closed, no port though. No floods (knock on wood!).

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.