Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NEX7 macro examples please

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

NEX7 macro examples please

25 posts
  1. Im curious to see what people have achieved getting macro shots with the NEX 7. Please post them here and comments on your experience on achieving it such as aperture and shutter speed and flash control , lens and settings used etc. it would be much appreciated.

  2. I have been looking at these. Appears 30mm is the way to go in addition to a wet mount diopter.

     

  3. There's a trend that the nex users are using 18-55 with wet diopters to do macro.

    Saw some example of it and i have to say it came out well.

    Maybe this will help.

  4. I have been looking at these. Appears 30mm is the way to go in addition to a wet mount diopter.

     

    http://nauticam.smug...34406&k=qgRHJfT

    The 30 mm macro lens focuses so close to the port that adding a wet diopter is not going to do much at all, but you can get some nice 1:1 shots with it. I will post some in a bit.

    Bill

  5. This link contains text from my review for UWPMAG.com and images from the NEX-7, 30mm macro lens, Nauticam NA-NEX7 housing, Nauticam macro port for Sony 30 and Panasonic 45 macros and the Nauticam 45 degree finder.

     

    Adding a +10 closeup lens only gets you from 1:1 to about 1.1:1 at half the distance to the subject which is almost against the lens glass. A placebo at best and not worth your time.

     

    The continuing problem for NEX underwater is lack of quality lenses in the macro and wide ranges. The 18-55 "kit" lens works well for closeups with or without a closeup lens but is average in image quality at best. If this is the only lens you intend to use you would be better off with the NEX-5n which does not show the flaws in the lens as much.

     

    The Olympus E-M5 with the Panasonic 45 macro or the Olympus 60 macro coming late this year would be a much choice image quality wise.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    http://www.scubaboar...ml#post6428701

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  6. That wide zoom is rumored to be a 16 to 50 F/3.5 to F/5.6 lens. Not much of improvement over the 16mm F/2.8 and 18-55 F/3.5 to F/5.6. While it may have better I.Q. but at 16 on the wide end it is hardly what most will want for underwater W/A.

     

    A 10-17with the E-mount would be more in line with the competition.

     

    by comparison the M43 systems have a choice of an 8mm fisheye, an excellent 7-14 and 12mm F/2 and the 9-18mm zoom. The most narrow of these at the wide end is the 12mm equal to the NEX 16 or 24mm in 35 terms.

     

    The best lens for the Nex-E-mount remains the Sony?Ziess 24mm F/1.8 I reviewed for UWPMAG.com in the current issue.

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/category/rumors/page/6/

  7. Thanks for the links, much appprectiated...hmmmm (rubs chin!)

    More welcome :)

  8. On a recent trip to Komodo I used the kit lens with an added Inon 165 or a Subsee +10 for super macro.

    The 30mm is okay for fish but not very good for small macro.

    the 16mm with the dome port is terrific for wide angle

     

    Sorry pretty new to this how do I add in images to my post?

    Sorry about newbie question

  9. Thanks Aliens, pics would be great to see, although I'm a little apprehensive to go back to compact wet lens converters......to get photos up, the best way is to create an account on an independant photo site such as www.photobucket.com then upload your photos there, then paste the IMG file into your post here

  10. Thanks Aliens, some nice deopth of field there, cheers :)

    At the moment I'm holding my breath for the next DX still, I'm gonna give it to Spetember and if nothings emerged by then I'm gonna go for the D800

     

    ....well thats todays decision!

  11. I'd suggest a D800 for weekdays and an NEX7 for the weekend...

  12. sonyalpharumors has been reporting that three NEX lenses - a 11-18mm pancake, a 16-50mm pancake, and a fast prime - will be introduced in September, as well as a new camera line, NEX-6, with build-in EVF positioned between NEX-7 and NEX-5N/5R. We'll know soon!
    Edited by A.Y.
  13. I'd suggest a D800 for weekdays and an NEX7 for the weekend...

     

    But what about the holidays! smile.png

     

     

     

    edit: why don't the smiley's work for me?

    Edited by JimSwims
  14. Holidays, the Olympus OMD-EM5

  15. What about for Christmas!? :)

  16. Hey Paul,

     

    I use the NEX-7 not for underwater at the moment, but under the follow links you can find a lot of pictures from the NEX-5N with the Sony E 30mm Macro.

     

    Gangga Island 2012

     

    fresh water pictures

     

    Tino

  17. I'd suggest a D800 for weekdays and an NEX7 for the weekend...

     

    Oh...

     

    ... ha, ha, ha, ha...

     

    Tim

  18. Hey Paul,

     

    I use the NEX-7 not for underwater at the moment, but under the follow links you can find a lot of pictures from the NEX-5N with the Sony E 30mm Macro.

     

    Gangga Island 2012

     

    fresh water pictures

     

    Tino

     

    Hey Tino,

    What a mammoth superb collection of photos of your trip to Gangga Island, thank you for showing me your examples, very impressed :) Now I might wait for that NEX 6 A.Y. mentions!

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.