decosnapper
It is good to hear that you have been able to claim money back on all occasions other than one and it must be serious business for you if you are getting lawyers involved.
Infringement deprives creators of income. Many who have salaried jobs don't realise this...and without this income, it becomes harder and harder to justify the investment to carry on creating as I am not in it for the ego or fun alone. The lawyers are only a last resort, or for anything of significant value, or is complex. I don't like paying lawyers, but it can be necessary to reach a satisfactory outcome.
I still believe that it is better to safeguard images against being stolen, especially for commercial photographers. I had a look at your website and your images all have substantial watermarks on them so I believe that whilst you dont like watermarking you see it as necessary?
I do watermark, it is simply the lesser of two unwelcome choices. To stress the point again; I would rather negotiate use rights than I would deal with infringements...I didn't go into the business to get bogged down with legal arguments. Had I wanted that, I would have studied law...but without the income I derive I would have to do something else, something less rewarding or enjoyable. All I want the watermark to do is let people question themselves and think 'Do I really need this image?" or 'Perhaps I should ask first". After all, its only polite to ask to use someone's property beforehand, isn't it? I realise that not everyone will see an image as personal property...so I make it less appealing...degrading my work if you like.
And not everyone on this planet shares the same values, and I will deny permission to use my images/text if the proposed use is offensive to either myself or the subject(s). The right to say 'no, not at any price' is highly valued and a watermark may just prevent such a use.
I would be interested to understand what portion of picture sales are made by claiming back from infringements. Also, have you been able to settle anything internationally?
It varies. Last year was quiet...this year infringement is accounting for around 25% of turnover...this figure will rise considerably when the dust settles on the latest examples.
Its not all positive. I need to spend time finding, gathering evidence, checking the provenance (agent sale perhaps?), tracking down who is responsible and contacting the infringer or instructing the lawyer, liaising with infringer/lawyer...providing evidence to back up my fees, evidence the image is mine...wasting time & responding to blatantly misguided advice like 'its on the internet...no permission needed...etc". This is time when I could be creating something new, and that would be my preferred choice...but I can't keep creating new things and see no income...so this aspect is sadly required.
So whilst legitimate licensing revenues decline, the value and volume of infringements increase, so the business model is increasingly adversarial, rather than transactional. As already stated, its a far more pleasant process to negotiate rather than deal with infringers, and the adversarial model is not one I would choose.
Yet to see a settlement across borders. The one I have lost out on was in New Zealand...this situation may change very soon though.