Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Super macro diopter ... Aquatica vs SubSee

Started by KirkD ·

  • 43Posts
  • 43Replies

Read-only discussion

Super macro diopter ... Aquatica vs SubSee

43 posts
  1. Im looking to start super macro work. I have an Aquatica Housing snd I'm looking at the Aquatica and Subsee +5 and +10 dioptets. I was wanting to know if anyone has experience with either name brand? Is the a weight difference between the 2. Also, zi'm looking to get the SubSee dual lens adapter. Any thoughts on rhis setup? I would prefer nylon screws instead on the metal ones.

     

    Thanks for any info.

    Kirk

  2. I use the Subsee +5 and +10 dual. It is rather heavy. The older version was lighter but less optically correct.

  3. Not Super Macro but this was taken with the Aquatica +10 on a GX1 using the Lumix 14-42mm lens, no cropping. In general I thought it was very good lens.

     

    7749155988_ce94297573_o.jpg

  4. I just started using the SubSea +5 on my Leica 45mm macro on the OMD. Works beautifully! I normally wouldn't consider using wet diopters, but the optics on the SubSea seem really very good.

     

    Mating Nudibranchs, Wakatobi

    Jim_Laurel_40.jpg

  5. If you go to my gallery of images from Anilao, Philippines, the purple nudi, 3rd Row, 4th Column:

     

    http://stewartsy.com/anilao-was-just-like-coming-home/

     

    that was taken with the 7D, Canon 100 f2.8 Macro and the Aquatica +10. The nudi was about the size of a grain of rice. The image is about 75% of the original. IQ wise, there would be no difference really with the Subsee or Aquatica diopters. But the Aquatica close up holder is quite a bit cheaper than the Subsee holder and it's made to fit on both versions of the Aquatica Macro Port. The O-ring retaining system is very sturdy and there's no danger in the diopter falling out.

     

    http://stewartsy.com/when-11-macro-isnt-close-enough/

     

    Working distance with the +10 is about 2-3 inches from the subject.

     

    Full disclosure, I am an Aquatica Dealer, but the prices I'm quoting are readily available by checking the website of both Aquatica and Subsee.

     

    S.

  6. I use the SubSee +5 & +10 diopters with my Canon 100mm macro L lens for super macro work. The quality of the SubSees are very good (both build & optical quality) and they now come in (standard) 67mm diameters.

     

    With the Nauticam ports they will conveniently screw on the ports themselves without the need for any adaptors. The older SubSees came in a smaller size which made adaptors or 'holders' necessary. One drawback of the 'new' 67mm SubSees is that they are quite heavy (with the large glass elements), esp. the +10 unit, which is almost twice the depth of the +5. I've never used the Aquaticas but compared with others I've used (FIT, Inon, Sea & Sea), the SubSees I've found to be superior.

     

    I use the Inon M67 lens holder W which attaches to my ULCS arms to hold the SubSees when not in use.

  7. Stewart

    Could you comment on the practicalities of taking this wet lens on and off during a dive. What do you do with it - put it in a BCD pocket? I am tempted but this worries me and the flip up and down on a hinge type wet lens seems more practical.

    Also with a full frame, would the working distance be nearer still?

  8. Jim,

     

    The Aquatica has a lens caddy that mounts on the housing's handle. It's part no. 19354. The caddy can accept both +10 & +5 simultaneously. The caddy is threaded on one side and the quick release on the other. The Aquatica mount is very sturdy, a simple push and twist locks in the lens. I used the set extensively over 2 weeks and didn't have a problem with the unit coming off. There was another customer with me on the trip and he had the exact same setup, he had the same experience as I did.

     

    As for shooting full frame, working distance doesn't change, as optics aren't changed, you just get a larger image since you're shooting full frame vs crop.

     

    S.

  9. There is an adaptor that I use that flips up when you do not need the diopter and down when you want the diopter.

    It is a Saga adaptor that I got from Reef Photo. It simply attaches to the port as a wedge fit and works very well.

     

    Elmer

  10. I have the Aquatica +5 and +10, but I don't have the lens caddy. I just pull the lens off and stick it in a little neoprene sleeve in my BC pocket when not using it. Caddy is probably more convenient. Quality seems very good for both lenses.

     

    I could see an argument for using the Subsee since you could buy a new mount if you changed housing systems, but the Aquatica system is a bit cheaper to begin with and I think the port attachment is a bit more robust. Subsee does have that nice little swing-out-of-the-way feature though.

    Edited by johnspierce
  11. Jim,

     

    The Aquatica has a lens caddy that mounts on the housing's handle. It's part no. 19354. The caddy can accept both +10 & +5 simultaneously. The caddy is threaded on one side and the quick release on the other. The Aquatica mount is very sturdy, a simple push and twist locks in the lens. I used the set extensively over 2 weeks and didn't have a problem with the unit coming off. There was another customer with me on the trip and he had the exact same setup, he had the same experience as I did.

     

    As for shooting full frame, working distance doesn't change, as optics aren't changed, you just get a larger image since you're shooting full frame vs crop.

     

    S.

     

    If it would not be much trouble, could you take a picture of the caddy installed with and without the diopters attached?

    Thanks

    Kirk

  12. There is an adaptor that I use that flips up when you do not need the diopter and down when you want the diopter.

    It is a Saga adaptor that I got from Reef Photo. It simply attaches to the port as a wedge fit and works very well.

     

    Elmer

     

    Elmer,

    Do you have the single or double diopter? Do you feel that setup to be heavy? I think i would rather have the flip up version with 2 dipters, but was curious if that would be to much weight.

     

    Kirk

  13. I have both the Aquatica and the Subsee diopters. The Subsees are definitely bulkier, although I haven't actually weighed each of them (I can do that if you want). Haven't done any comparisons regarding quality either, but I will probably sell my Subsees just because of the bulk factor. For carrying them on a dive, I use the Inon double-lens holders on a ULCS arm (both Aquatica and Subsee diopters have 67mm threads).

     

    BTW, I don't think the Saga is available for the Aquatica macro port. One way to use the Subsee on the Aquatica MF macro port is through Dyron's M77 adapter in conjunction with a 77mm - 67mm step ring. glowdive.com also has an adapter for the Subsee.

    Edited by operam
  14.  

    Elmer,

    Do you have the single or double diopter? Do you feel that setup to be heavy? I think i would rather have the flip up version with 2 dipters, but was curious if that would be to much weight.

     

    Kirk

     

    Kirk,

     

    I use the single, but I am considering getting the double. I use stix floats to make my rig just negative, so the weight of a diopter is not really noticeable. Ryan at Reef Photo had Saga make a port fitting to accommodate my Subal 105 port, so I would think he could have one made to fit an Aquatica.

     

    Elmer

  15. I have both the Aquatica and the Subsee diopters. The Subsees are definitely bulkier, although I haven't actually weighed each of them (I can do that if you want). Haven't done any comparisons regarding quality either, but I will probably sell my Subsees just because of the bulk factor. For carrying them on a dive, I use the Inon double-lens holders on a ULCS arm (both Aquatica and Subsee diopters have 67mm threads).

     

    BTW, I don't think the Saga is available for the Aquatica macro port. One way to use the Subsee on the Aquatica MF macro port is through Dyron's M77 adapter in conjunction with a 77mm - 67mm step ring. glowdive.com also has an adapter for the Subsee.

     

    Saga dies have one on their website that is for the aquatica, but it us a single flip up on.

    Kirk

  16. Saga dies have one on their website that is for the aquatica, but it us a single flip up on.

    Kirk

     

    Ah, yes, I see it, 270 EUR.

  17. If it would not be much trouble, could you take a picture of the caddy installed with and without the diopters attached?

    Thanks

    Kirk

     

    Kirk,

     

    As per your request:

     

    Full Closeup Kit attached to the Aquatica A7D Housing. Diopter with Red Ring is the +10, Ringless is +5. Holder is machined aluminum with 3 nylon screws that tighten down on the port.

     

    Closeup1.jpg

     

    Here is the Lens Caddy by itself:

     

    Closeup2.jpg

     

    and here's the rice grain sized nudi: Image was cropped by approximately 25%.

     

    4237.jpg

     

    Cheers

     

    Stu

    Edited by Stewart L. Sy
  18. Hey Stewart, do you know if any US reseller is carrying the caddy yet? I can't find it on anybody's website. As a matter of fact, I can't find it on Aquatica's website either...

     

    thanks,

    John

    Edited by johnspierce
  19. Sorry, I don't know. I had the first one from the anodizing tanks last April in time to show at the Tacoma Dive & Travel Show.

     

    S.

  20. Thanks Stu for the pics. Very helpful. I assume it can hold both diopters, one above (like shown in the picture) and one on the underside?

    Kirk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.