Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens choice for Socorro

Started by Steen Nissen ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens choice for Socorro

23 posts
  1. I've been there 4 times.

     

    I use the 12-24 the most.

     

    10 -17 is also good though a lot of animals won't get that close.

     

    I do agree the shots you get with the 10-17 will be the best, just not many of them for sharks, ect.

     

    The Mantas I'd definetly would go with the 10-17, and I did spend a day at Roca Partida shooting a whale shark with the 10-17

  2. I normally shoot the 10-17mm with a mini dome, but thinking of adding a 1.4x Kenko telextender for this location. What extension ring should be used with a 7D and Nauticam housing?

     

    Hal

  3. Thanks for the responses everyone. I want to ask about another option:

    1. As with any TC, I know I’m going to lose some sharpness and focus speed at the expense of a bit more range. So if I crop a shot taken with just the 10-17, will it be sharper or softer than a non-cropped shot taken with the TC. If the cropped, naked 10-17 shot is as sharp, I don’t see the TC getting me anywhere.
    2. Same question with the Canon 8-15. Since the reviews/tests I’ve read say the 8-15 is sharper (albeit for a cost), if I get the 8-15, will my cropped shots be sharper or softer than an uncropped shot taken with the 10-17 and the TC?

    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.