I don't agree that price difference is too little Nauticam vs Ikelite. The price is exactly double if I buy it here, and the difference makes up for a UWA wet lens. (Which is essential in my kit)
The big question is if the advantages justify the leap in price though ;-)
If there are problems with vignetting on the Iklite, it's off the table for sure! However I doubt it, the RX100 lens is fully extended in max wide and max zoom in so I think that what's makes it work so good with Wa lenses in, at least, the Nauticam and Recsea housings.
Cheers
/O
Hi Oskar,
You have to calculate this way to see why I find Nauticam RX100 as VERY AFFORDABLE and worth the extra price over an Ike.
01. Material, aluminum versus plastic......I value that at US$250. Just my guesstimate.
Longevity, abuse-resistant, increased depth rating = All are extra cost
02. Plastic body as port receiver and we are to use a 595 grams of 1.31 lbs of Ike W30 wide angle lens weight ?? , adding to the stress the original Ike port would bring to the port receiver at main plastic body. I do not know how to quantify this, but this is one reason I will never buy plastic housing, unless for sizes like GoPro or its port & main body is as a single moulded unit like common Canon OEM plastic housing. Still I will not add heavier than 0.5 lbs to a Canon kind of housing's port front end. If Ike RX100 can survive 1.6 meter drop onto concrete with its port and its wide angle lens hitting side way ( crow bar effect ) and main body too, do it 3 times, I may consider. Rocking boat, slippery deck and etc etc, one must build a housing to take a real severe use. I don't mind a dome port shattering but not the port receiver ( bayonet ) at main body being destroyed. If 1 drop kill a housing and the other housing can withstand the same abuse, the broken housing will have no value, no matter how low cost it is.
03. How much for an Ike to equal Nauticam free fiber optic ports, if Ike is to have the same. Ike RX100 strobe by Ike only and for Ike only and using hardwire is something I will not accept in the age of Z240 Inon existence with the most intelligent S-TTL so far. You can take macro shots with Inon Z240 with 95+% rate success when set right....AUTO.
04. How do you devalue an Ike if it sprays strobe flashes all over the place since it is clear casing ? For what is lacking compared to another product, that means savings of cost in production and design and we the customer loose. I don't know how to quantify this too. Value the material you will use to block the stray lights and the labor in making them. Time is money, I do not want to waste my time doing DIY thingy, I will pay for people to do so because my hourly rate is much higher than the technician I will be appointing for the job. US$40-70 value here ???
05. How do you attached a single strobe or focus-video light on an Ike ?.........without a tray ?
On Nauticam it has the female thread for its ball using M10 or something. You can never rip a part the kind of threading size Nauticam uses on its housing top. Its not the small 1/4" bolt of typical Ultra Light ball. Any provision for extra mounting is cost to make and design.......value that.....how much........US$30-50 ???
06. Leak detector. US$100 to buy. Nauticam RX100 comes standard with that.
Which do you prefer, visual leak where we loose sight of our target or audio warning of leak without even looking ?
07. This one I am about to describe IS expensive.
Sony RX100 and the NEX7 uses Sony's famous Tri-Nav control at the camera rear body.
That beautiful control is a nightmare for housing makers to mimic. This is one reason NEX7 housing, only two companies in the world now making them at a real production rate, Nauticam and Aquapazza. Nauticam one outsold Aquapazza easy.
Other manufacturers realized the nightmare involved for a housing which probably only has 3000-4000 units market share world wide for its SHORT business life span. That is why big names dropped NEX7 project. Some only managed to make NEX5. NEX5 is a piece of cake compared to NEX7. NEX5 only has 1 dial, the Tri-Nav at the back. NEX7 has extra two dials on body top.
Take any housings in the market right now which control the Sony's Tri-Nav and compare to Nauticam's Tri-nav control on housing and play and inspect it to believe the complexity of the engineering involved. At the same time the 5 buttons and 1 spinning dial of RX100 Tri-Nav on a Nauticam is spaced out for comfort of use, especially the spinning dial which gets two intermediate gears so that it can be located at a much better ergonomic. The spinning Tri-Nav dial on an Ike is using gears-to-detent as movement transfer, on a Nauticam the two part gimbal-in-a-gimbal cupped the spinning dial a 100% contact with rubber pad, its awesome to use. Much superior than RecSea RX100 Tri-Nav control.
Look at Ike's Tri-Nav 5 buttons and 1 dial and 4 other buttons made as-is-where-is on the housing.
9 buttons cramped side by side and 1 dial. Nauticam uses link arms to space out the buttons 4 buttons and the gimbal handle 4 +1 buttons. The complexity of Sony's Tri-Nav and the other 4 buttons close to it cost money to improve for UW housing.
If US$20 per buttons is the cost to relocate and for the link + labor + engineering cost and the dial is say US$50 to do, that is US$230 worth of engineering there. The Tri-Nav is used very often. You can never re-work a housing as small as RX100 Ike to match the ergonomic and accuracy of a Nauticam, unless you want to spend crazy money.
Do you know why SeaCam Prelude D7000 has so many buttons missing ? Reduced cost or trying to be lower cost at retail.
Because it is expensive to make buttons on alu housing. The buttons, the link, the engineering, the machining, the installations and etc etc.
I pay for this seat with full option, more than the price of Nauticam RX100V.
http://www.hermanmil...ron-chairs.html
Is the extra money worth it ......hell yeah !!! It is precision ass/spine-to-chair interface and I value those differences for my comfort and my health.
In my line of work, my job is to evaluate mechanical & electrical products/machineries for a start up coal mine and this is not a small mine. My bosses wants to know why A cost more than B and is that actually worth the money ?, how about longevity, trouble-free operation and so on and so on ?. This is why I am so "anal" when looking at two different products for same purpose and with different pricing.
If anything in the diving business world where investment in 5 axis machining, 3D measuring system, anodizing, designing where button are to be relocated, the kind of links/gears/arms for the buttons and testing and etc etc................ I put aluminum camera housings as the worst of the worst business to do. Low volume, low margin at manufacturer level and a design/sales life is so short, unlike dive regulators.
So, believe it when I say US$500 extra is nothing.
At the end of the day, the strobes, the extra wet lenses, lights and whatever toys you need to rig an RX100 the way you like it and the DIVING TRIP itself....are the real wallet drainer.
Have fun shopping...........
.