Drew, I appreciate the intelligent discussion. It's advanced considerably from the first guy who called me a liar.
Eric, maybe it is because my english is not so good, or because I have no time right now to do such a good post as Drew did, but I never meant to offend you.
I did like the video and your work, and my remark was just a little "pointing it out". Let me explain:
As Drew explained, this number is (for all these reason) very questonable.
I would add on that, that I'm a scientist working on shark's populations, so I am very aware of all this discussion. In my work, I sometimes have to interact, and it's a very nice part of it, with fishermen, especially on markets from poor countries, which is where most of the sharks are killed.
On some market, shark finning is a real industry. I've seen a lot of sharks killed, and spoke to the fisheremen that did / sell them (i.e. https://fbcdn-sphoto...254528840_n.jpg )
And what is always, always, always coming back ?
"Yeah, we now have around 200-500 sharks a days landing in here, but we are very worried because 10 years ago is was 2000-5000. and my income is getting lower, and I don't know how I'll feed my children. And there is no more fish around to be fished, they all disapeard, partly because we fish them as sharks bait."
so, appart from the dramatic information of this, if we are back in the number thing, this mean the global catch of sharks is probably getting lower and lower every single year, and very fast. It is sad, I'm on of the first aware of how dramatic it is.
now, of course it is not such a big deal for an audience.
BUT, when we come to meet president and politics of some countries, and this very respectable man look at you and say "I'm not sure I want to hear what you have to say, I've seen other like you before, and they lied to me", it's not nice. And you feel your work is being wasted because some organisation thing they do good and rush into things without really being sure of what they say, and knowing the way to say it for each particular country's phylosophy (i.e. in Tuvalu, the spoken is more reliable than the written. If you arrive with papers, statistics and nice graphs, they just say "yeah yeah right" and smile to you, but then totally ignore it when you leave. You need to take that aspect into account).
So that is why we all should be a little carefull when we give numbers.
One last time, I'm no ennemy, and I really appologize if I've hurt you. It was not my goal. My goal is simply to say, over-using these numbers can make it harder for the people actually meeting the politics to try to stop all this.
However, let's not lose track of the message in the details. How many sharks killed by finning is too many? Is it 20 to 30 million, or 73 million, or 100 million?
I feel that one of the most acurate things to say it that the majority of sharks (individuals) are already gone, and a lot of populations will probably never recover. When you put it close to the sharks life traits, how old they are (hey, another number issue here : people say numbers like 400 millions years and all that. Most modern sharks appeared less than 100 millions years ago. Still a lot, but... : ) ).
I stand by the statement that one is too many. If this discussion keeps that message from being buried, it's worthwhile.
And I do agree.
How sad it is that a simple thing like this, that everyone knows for sure (let's say "overexploitation is bad for everyone including us") have to go through SO MANY years, money, scientist, paper, peet-review, organisation, association, politics, etc... to finally often very poor, or too late, results...
WHEN WE ALL JUST KNOW IT.
sad system, trying to make things too complicated when they in fact are very simple. It's a shame.
I'm jealous of the time, hundreeds years ago, where they were a few specialist, and kings would listen to them, and act. It did have some good sides : )