Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D800 write to card delay

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 76Posts
  • 76Replies

Read-only discussion

D800 write to card delay

76 posts
  1. Occasional issue when 16GB SDHC card in slot 2, usually when writing to that card after CF is full, if I remember rightly.

     

    That would explain why I haven't seen the problem: I write RAW to the CF and jpg to the SD card, rather than filling one and then the other.

  2. I have this issue in a new D800e with only an SD card Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB, no CF card.

  3. For some reason; the firmware upgrade is not happening on my camera. Downloaded it, inserted card, Setup Menu, Firmware Version -- nothing happens.

  4. Sorry if this sounds patronizing:)

     

    Did you scroll down to the update firmware option IN THE "Firmware Version" window and then press the OK button?

     

    Another potential problem might be if you didn't save the update package to the root of the memmory card, or didn't unpack the update and only added the .zip file to the card?

     

    Worked fine on mine

  5. Did mine Adam. The camera got very hot and burnt a hole in my desk. Is this correct? (Only joking folks!)

     

    Thanks Adam. I'll be interested to see any difference!

  6. For some reason; the firmware upgrade is not happening on my camera. Downloaded it, inserted card, Setup Menu, Firmware Version -- nothing happens.

    @Loftus:

    It sounds like you did the same mistake as me!

    I also wondered why nothing happend, until I realized that I didn't push the "OK" button :aggressive:

    I pushed the button in the middle of the Multiselector instead of the "OK" button, out of habit I guess!

     

     

    /Erik

  7. Still does not work for me. Copy file named D800_0102.bin to a formatted card.

    When I go to Firmware Version I see:

    A 1:00

    B 1.01

    L 1.006

     

    Done OK

     

    Hit OK button, nothing happens, just goes back to 'Firmware Version' in Setup menu

  8. It seems like it doesn't find the .bin-file.

    You should get an update choice below the done field. If it finds the file.

     

    Did you put the .bin-file on the primary memory card?

     

    I fiddled around a while swapping over to the SD card as primary and removing the CF.

    It should not be needed, but ...

     

    /Erik

  9. Sound good!

  10. Anyone make any progress?

     

    Also suffering this problem, sent off CF card for replacement but error started again within a day. Problem would go away for a bit and then return, could be first image taken or after a number.

     

    Treat my CF cards very well, and never experienced this before.

     

    Have sent D800 back under warrenty with card - but sceptically I don't expect a fault to be found with the camera.

  11. Did you try to use it with only 1 card?

    I suspect that it is a classic interrupt issue, hence intermittent.

    It could be that faster cards would help as well.

     

    /Erik

  12. Everyone still having this issue? I got a D800 a few days ago and it didn't happen to me yet, I have been shooting with a single SD card (CF slot empty).

  13. I have not seen it so far.

    CF: main & SD:2nd

     

    I mostly just have the setting to use the 2nd if main is full.

    Well, I do not think that I have used the 2nd so far.

     

    /Erik

  14. Well, the problem happened once to me today. Camera hang for 15s after a shot using SD card only. I have a CF card coming, will replace and try with that next week.

  15. @ Rocha:

    Good luck in reducing this issue! 15s that is one annoying timeout!

     

    /Erik

  16. Hi all,

     

    I thought the latest firmware had cured it, until yesterday!

     

    It is still hanging. I am on contact with Nikon, and they are aware that people are experiencing issues, but as it is intermittent, struggling to pin the cause down. I'll keep everyone posted as I get more information from them.

     

    Adam

  17. Thanks Adam, I had it only once so far, on the SD card.

  18. I have noticed a particularly long write speed on the D800 with time lapse photography. Is this normal for a camera to take 30 seconds to write after a 30 second exposure?... It pretty much seems to take a second to write each second of exposure. In normal light, it seems just fine... I bought the D800 very recently because I wanted an upgrade in mega pixels but I realized that I needed an exceptional lens to match this camera. The Zeiss 21mm has proved to be that lens. Very impressive indeed...

     

    Sean

     

     

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.