Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

D800 to Ipad?

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

D800 to Ipad?

28 posts
  1. I was about to buy PhotoSmith, but it has had terrible reviews of late, mainly due to it not working with Lightroom and poor to no new development.

     

    Jack

  2. 128gb iPad was announced today -- should help out a bit with managing data on those D800's and with quick video reviews.

  3. So I got the iPad and the Wi-Drive. Alas, at my age time is important. I took my small Macbook Pro. I'm sure the other combination would be good for someone shooting jpegs on a compact!

  4. Another possibility would for an example be a small ASUS Zenbook 11.6" for travelling.

    It is fast ( i7-ULV Processor & SSD) , light ( 1.1kg), has a couple of USB3 ports & runs Lightroom.

     

    /Erik

  5. For those running into problems with limited iPad capacity, or anyone so paranoid (like me) that they want three copies of all photos taken:

     

    1) Transfer RAW images to iPad using Camera Connection Kit

     

    2) Jailbreak the iPad and install iFile, which is a free file browser for Jailbroken iOS.

     

    3) Within iFile, copy RAW image files *from* the iPad *to* another SD card - which becomes the third copy.

     

    4) (optionally) use iPhoto to rank/flag photos. Photos that have been ranked of flagged in this way remain on the iPad, in the form of reduced resolution jpegs, even after deleting the photos from the Photos App. These are useful for viewing your favorite photos during the shoot, but are obviously of no use for subsequent editing.

     

    5) (optionally) delete photos form the Photos App to make room for more, if you hit the iPad's capacity limit.

     

    If you only do (1) to (4) then you have three copies (assuming you do not delete the card that came from the camera), the SD card from the camera, the iPad, and the SD card used in (3).

     

    iFile has lots of other advantages too. For instance, you can store movies on an SD card and view them (provided they are in iPad compatible MP4 format) without transferring them to the iPad.

     

    Advantages: three copies for the paranoid; spare SD cards *much* cheaper than upgraded iPad.

     

    Disadvantages: have to jailbreak (but this has many other advantages associated with it ...); need to know where iOS keeps the RAW image files in the guts of its filesystem.

  6. Another possibility would for an example be a small ASUS Zenbook 11.6" for travelling.

    It is fast ( i7-ULV Processor & SSD) , light ( 1.1kg), has a couple of USB3 ports & runs Lightroom.

     

    /Erik

     

     

    I got this ASUS laptop this past month. The size is great and only 2.4 pounds. I feel like I made a good choice. Seems to be everything I wanted in a light weight travel computer. The USB3 ports are a nice advantage. It boots up fast. But remember I am comparing to my old laptop which was 6.5 years old and a boat anchor. I have played with it here at home and it does a great job of downloading RAW files and working LR and other applications all at the same time. Next test....2 week dive trip in May.

     

    Happy diving guys - Pam

  7. Thanks for all the info. I settled on the small Macbook Pro. It does everything I need and it fits in my back pocket of my photographer's jacket (for carry-on purposes!).

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.